California Has Too Much Pot, And Growers

• Thread starter indicabush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
indicabush

indicabush

California has too much pot, and growers won't be able to export the surplus

A leader of California’s marijuana industry warned Wednesday that the state’s cannabis growers produce eight times the pot that is consumed in the state so some will face “painful” pressure to reduce crops under new state regulations that will ban exports after Jan. 1.

Some marijuana growers will stay in the black market and continue to illegally send cannabis to other states, which is also not allowed under federal law, said Hezekiah Allen, executive director of the California Growers’ Assn.

“We are producing too much,” Allen said, adding state-licensed growers “are going to have to scale back. We are on a painful downsizing curve.”

He said some marijuana growers may stop, while others just won't apply for state permits.

Allen made his comments to the Sacramento Press Club during a panel discussion that also included Joseph Devlin, chief of Cannabis Policy and Enforcement for City of Sacramento, and Lori Ajax, chief of the state’s Bureau of Medical Cannabis Regulation.

Devlin said estimates he has heard put California production at five times the state consumption; one consultant in the audience said the number may be 12 times what is consumed in the state.

Ajax agreed with Allen that some cannabis cultivators may have to scale back while others may never apply for a state license.

“For right now, our goal is to get folks into the regulated market, as many as possible,” Ajax said. But, she added, “There are some people who will never come into the regulated market.”

Those people, she said, will eventually face enforcement actions for growing marijuana without a state license.

Medical marijuana use was approved by California voters two decades ago. Voters in November approved the legal sale and possession of an ounce of marijuana for recreational use.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

First, it's always been illegal to take it across state lines. Under Federal law marijuana is a class 1 narcotic, that means no medical uses. Unless it is grown under a Federally sanctioned program for scientific testing it's illegal. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool. Second, how could they possibly know how much is consumed or grown? You know the old saying, "To 'assume' makes an ass out of U and me."

They are right about one thing, Cali is going to try and regulate us and will be unsuccessful because the commercial regulations are ridiculously stupid and we will keep finding loopholes to continue growing without licensing.

I don't know who this Allen guy is but he's a moron. (This is by no means a judgement towards you Indicabush, for posting this article)

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

First, it's always been illegal to take it across state lines. Under Federal law marijuana is a class 1 narcotic, that means no medical uses. Unless it is grown under a Federally sanctioned program for scientific testing it's illegal. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool. Second, how could they possibly know how much is consumed or grown? You know the old saying, "To 'assume' makes an ass out of U and me."

They are right about one thing, Cali is going to try and regulate us and will be unsuccessful because the commercial regulations are ridiculously stupid and we will keep finding loopholes to continue growing without licensing.

I don't know who this Allen guy is but he's a moron. (This is by no means a judgement towards you Indicabush, for posting this article)
This is why Colorado and California are and should be referred to as completely different animals with different rules, regulations, etc. This is also why I am so glad that I am in Colorado, that I don't have to worry about adopting the attitude of finding loopholes to grow without licensing and the penalties and risk that comes with it, like having craigslist as your only outlet for distribution.

I've never read anything more than anecdotal evidence that Colorado has too much legal pot, simply due to our regulatory structure being so different. I would claim that Colorado's tracking system of seed to sale goes much further than anything on the books in California.

Isn't this volume of extra herb grown by private individuals who can then sell to dispensaries, clubs and patients?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

This is why Colorado and California are and should be referred to as completely different animals with different rules, regulations, etc. This is also why I am so glad that I am in Colorado, that I don't have to worry about adopting the attitude of finding loopholes to grow without licensing and the penalties and risk that comes with it, like having craigslist as your only outlet for distribution.

I've never read anything more than anecdotal evidence that Colorado has too much legal pot, simply due to our regulatory structure being so different. I would claim that Colorado's tracking system of seed to sale goes much further than anything on the books in California.

Isn't this volume of extra herb grown by private individuals who can then sell to dispensaries, clubs and patients?

Production and distribution through our co-ops is unregulated and even the delivery services don't necessarily keep official records. They do far more trade than dispensaries. It is absolutely impossible to at this point to even guess production and sales.

This Allen guy does not represent us. He's one of those social justice wierdos who probably runs around apologizing for being a white male. I'm so sick of these uninformed, self appointed, self righteous idiots pretending they represent us when they only care about their own agendas. (This guy isn't helping the home schooling cause either)

I don't know what kind of animal we are becoming, but I don't like it so far. Especially if SJW freaks are trying to set the standards. Next thing you know pulling hermi plants will be a hate crime.

DetGrnThumb

DetGrnThumb

To this I say, bullshit. California has roughly 20 million residents that are 18 and over. That's a rather large market. I'll let you know if we have any issues moving product come the end of fall/beginning or winter

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

To this I say, bullshit. California has roughly 20 million residents that are 18 and over. That's a rather large market. I'll let you know if we have any issues moving product come the end of fall/beginning or winter

Exactly! Thank you.

Dewd

Dewd

Production and distribution through our co-ops is unregulated and even the delivery services don't necessarily keep official records. They do far more trade than dispensaries. It is absolutely impossible to at this point to even guess production and sales.

This Allen guy does not represent us. He's one of those social justice wierdos who probably runs around apologizing for being a white male. I'm so sick of these uninformed, self appointed, self righteous idiots pretending they represent us when they only care about their own agendas. (This guy isn't helping the home schooling cause either)

I don't know what kind of animal we are becoming, but I don't like it so far. Especially if SJW freaks are trying to set the standards. Next thing you know pulling hermi plants will be a hate crime.
Lol. Hate crime

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Tax, Regulate and Control will fail in California. Black mark will always be cheeper and have better quality. Right now black market cannibis is 20% cheeper than at despenceries. Once the big corperations get involved open market cannabis quality will take a dive. I will never apply for a licence to grow ! Been growing for about 55 years ! I don' t pack my units over the state lines but i've shipped plenty, even over seas. So yep they can ether come get it or if they are willing to pre pay I'll ship it. It's more of a hobby at this point anyway because I'm not a big grower by today's standards. Not that I don't know other good growers if there is a large order once in a while. Anyway the new laws are a mess, just like every thing the state gets it's paws on here in Cali !

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Looking like more tjab half of the weed crop went up in smoke with the fires. This happend before in 2009. With consumption heading to go up 600% because of the new state controlled market and the fact Cali supplies 70% of the us marked we are looking at a much larger shorage than we would have .I'm thinking we are looking at maybe having a suppy of 15% of demand. For thoughs not burned out or effected by smome damage this may contribute to pricing inseen before. Outdoor may ho up as much as the higher end indoor prices of 2009. It won't last into the next season though because we will rebound , but who knows how well

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Looking like more tjab half of the weed crop went up in smoke with the fires. This happend before in 2009. With consumption heading to go up 600% because of the new state controlled market and the fact Cali supplies 70% of the us marked we are looking at a much larger shorage than we would have .I'm thinking we are looking at maybe having a suppy of 15% of demand. For thoughs not burned out or effected by smome damage this may contribute to pricing inseen before. Outdoor may ho up as much as the higher end indoor prices of 2009. It won't last into the next season though because we will rebound , but who knows how well
These posts remind me of the defiance that came before 1284 and 106 in Colorado. Cali, you think you all that.

I don't think California supplies 70% of the US market, if that's what your post implied.

How would consumption of a product go up 600% just because of market regulation? Haven't stressed, nervous, etc. consumers been allowed access to medical cannabis until now?

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Yes California has been the main supply of cannibis for the nation for many years. Estaments of 70% are from the U S Government. Increases in expected consumtion of cannabis are estimates by the State of California and the California cannabis industry. 600% = 6x .

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Yes California has been the main supply of cannibis for the nation for many years. Estaments of 70% are from the U S Government. Increases in expected consumtion of cannabis are estimates by the State of California and the California cannabis industry. 600% = 6x .
Would you care to cite your source for this? It sounds like hogwash. You might want to rethink using that statistic of California supplying that much herb, because it's bullshit. This is probably the source, but anti-MMJ legislation is probably not the best place to find statistics that sound cool to you.

"The liberalization of marijuana policies, including the legalization of medical and recreational marijuana, is sweeping the United States and other countries. Marijuana cultivation can have significant negative collateral effects on the environment that are often unknown or overlooked. Focusing on the state of California, where by some estimates 60%–70% of the marijuana consumed in the United States is grown, we argue that (a) the environmental harm caused by marijuana cultivation merits a direct policy response, (b) current approaches to governing the environmental effects are inadequate, and (c) neglecting discussion of the environmental impacts of cultivation when shaping future marijuana use and possession policies represents a missed opportunity to reduce, regulate, and mitigate environmental harm."

You didn't answer how consumption automatically goes up with regulation. You are, or your source material is implying that those are new smokers, new users, who wouldn't have smoked or used otherwise. Is this a verified alternative fact from a friend of a friend who knows a guy in the government?

Care to comment on either of these, both of which seem to disagree with your claims?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/06/marijuana-legalization-college-students/530607/
"In some ways, it’s good news that legalization didn’t seem to induce students who are otherwise drug-averse to start smoking pot in large numbers."

Findings In this difference-in-difference analysis of 253 902 adolescents in 47 states, marijuana use among eighth and 10th graders in Washington increased 2.0% and 4.1%, respectively, between 2010-2012 and 2013-2015; these trends were significantly different from trends in states that did not legalize marijuana. In Colorado, the prevalence of marijuana use prelegalization and postlegalization did not differ.

K

Kris kush

Pulling hermies will be a hate crime!!! LMAO

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Nope sure you have your apinion ,that's cool, no sourse can fully prodict the market so we will have to wait and see. The states that have legalized have all had increases of sales at first. I know of three despenceries that believe the prodictions and are stocking up for the event.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Nope sure you have your apinion ,that's cool, no sourse can fully prodict the market so we will have to wait and see. The states that have legalized have all had increases of sales at first. I know of three despenceries that believe the prodictions and are stocking up for the event.
That's a pretty perfect response from someone in California.

Opinion

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

That's a pretty perfect response from someone in California.

View attachment 752649

F^ck yah! Ya got us. We're all a bunch of burn outs who know nothing of what's going on from sampling our own sh*t.

...but really, we don't need to know statistics. The $$$ per lb tell us everything we need to know. I 'know' I can get $900+ per lb local wholesale (haven't checked since the fires). I know it was $1200- $1600 last year. I know that this same weed goes for over $3k in North Carolina. I also know that the NC prices were not effected by CO legalisation. California grows so much that legalisation of half the US, in one form or another, did not significantly effect our export prices. Plus, we've had to grow a LOT more just to keep up with the demand. Humboldt is well known for it's quality, but contrary to popular belief, they are not the biggest grower in Cali. My county grows more than the whole Emerald Triangle put together. Over 50,000 people in my local area of it, and a third of them are growing. I don't need statistics, all I have to do is drive anywhere in town and see the trees (pot) showing over backyard fences. I used to grow Acers so I can tell the difference between a Japanese Maple and a Marijuana tree. We have like 6 warehouse hydro/grow supplies in town and only one Kmart (and it even sells grow supplies. I got my bins, alcohol, gloves, mason jars, and trimming scissors from center isle displays with big a$$ signs that said "Growers Center". I call them Growmart during the fall.) Every hardware store, garden supply, and variety store sells pollen sifters and high end Nutes. CO going legal was a blip on the radar, it didn't even effect our prices. Do we have an ego? Yes. Is it justified? YES.

I'm not downplaying CO. Our country needed you to go legal because we generally bypass your neighbors for the better East coast prices. The middle of the country has been suffering way too long. You were a badly needed resource.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

F^ck yah! Ya got us. We're all a bunch of burn outs who know nothing of what's going on from sampling our own sh*t.

...but really, we don't need to know statistics. The $$$ per lb tell us everything we need to know. I 'know' I can get $900+ per lb local wholesale (haven't checked since the fires). I know it was $1200- $1600 last year. I know that this same weed goes for over $3k in North Carolina. I also know that the NC prices were not effected by CO legalisation. California grows so much that legalisation of half the US, in one form or another, did not significantly effect our export prices. Plus, we've had to grow a LOT more just to keep up with the demand. Humboldt is well known for it's quality, but contrary to popular belief, they are not the biggest grower in Cali. My county grows more than the whole Emerald Triangle put together. Over 50,000 people in my local area of it, and a third of them are growing. I don't need statistics, all I have to do is drive anywhere in town and see the trees (pot) showing over backyard fences. I used to grow Acers so I can tell the difference between a Japanese Maple and a Marijuana tree. We have like 6 warehouse hydro/grow supplies in town and only one Kmart (and it even sells grow supplies. I got my bins, alcohol, gloves, mason jars, and trimming scissors from center isle displays with big a$$ signs that said "Growers Center". I call them Growmart during the fall.) Every hardware store, garden supply, and variety store sells pollen sifters and high end Nutes. CO going legal was a blip on the radar, it didn't even effect our prices. Do we have an ego? Yes. Is it justified? YES.

I'm not downplaying CO. Our country needed you to go legal because we generally bypass your neighbors for the better East coast prices. The middle of the country has been suffering way too long. You were a badly needed resource.
I didn't say anyone was a burnout, and you're smart enough to read and understand the thread, but I appreciate the typical california attitude.

I'd ask you to cite a source but your source is 'because reasons', just like the other guy. You seem pretty knowledgeable, where do you get your information? Is it strictly based on backyard fenced in grows that you can see peeking over the fence? That doesn't seem like a very efficient way to judge or measure the market, but yeah, rock on. You might be trying not to downplay Colorado, but your post drips with arrogance, and it's unbecoming, but I don't think you Cali grow masters really give a shit about us amateurs in Colorado. We don't even have enough oxygen to breathe, let alone grow good weed.

"But really, we don't need to know statistics" Y'all are in for a rude awakening. Good luck.

Go Houston

Top Bottom