Can Roots Grow Upwards?

• Thread starter diogodasilva
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

diogodasilva

I understand that the gravity tropism of most plants will cause them to grow roots downwards.
However if you had a pot half filled with medium and later decided to add it to the brim, would the roots fill up that space upwards as well?
icon_question.gif

Bannacis

Bannacis

Some of the roots will occupy the new soil, plus all the micro hairs will populate it eventually. Add a top dressing mulch and sprinkle some preferred amendment on the mulch. but if the plant has been in the pot for some time, might be best to transplant to larger pot.

BudBogart

BudBogart

It wouldn't be my preferred method of fixing a problem. I don't like covering the root crown and trunk with soil, some pool do it.
Couldn't you remove the plant and put more soil in bottom of container and replant?

Bannacis

Bannacis

You could lift the plant out and put soil on bottom. so you might as well go for a bigger pot.
Putting mulch on top of soil is a common practice, adding soil wont hurt a thing.

D

diogodasilva

The problem is the plant is in a fabric pot and roots have made through the bottom so if o attempt to remove it the roots will get damaged inevitably.

Bannacis

Bannacis

Gotcha, I have trimmed off roots, about 3-4 inches and the plant flourished. but that was me...lol
You could place the fabric pot into another larger pot, so the bottom roots could continue. I have laid soil bags down,(horizontal) and cut a hole on top to sit my pot in contact with soil. the roots spread throughout the bag. just put a lot of drainage holes. Burlap bags are great for this...they breath like fabric pots.

Crops

Crops

Gotcha, I have trimmed off roots, about 3-4 inches and the plant flourished. but that was me...lol
You could place the fabric pot into another larger pot, so the bottom roots could continue. I have laid soil bags down,(horizontal) and cut a hole on top to sit my pot in contact with soil. the roots spread throughout the bag. just put a lot of drainage holes. Burlap bags are great for this...they breath like fabric pots.
I have Problem as well but my pots are plastic will the roots grow through the drain holes and into another pot Iam 4 weeks into flower and don’t think the was big enough... don’t want to repot it now?? Sorry jump on yr thread

Bannacis

Bannacis

what you can do is to drill more holes in your pot, even up the sides. then put it in a bigger pot, add more dirt and wait it out.

fatawa

fatawa

Theres a old school method of root hardening where u purposely leave the root exposed a couple wks then top fill(id re-pot tho like bannacis said).im n dwc now but i still use root hardening reg.

Crops

Crops

what you can do is to drill more holes in your pot, even up the sides. then put it in a bigger pot, add more dirt and wait it out.
Hi bannacis what it is ... it’s the 1st grow and I not sure if the bonds have done much growth in the last four weeks obviously there not growing not as big as I’d like them to be Lol plants is quite big compare to the size of the parts I think it’s 3 gallon How’s the best way to tell if she’s rebound ....thanks for the help

Crops

Crops

Theres a old school method of root hardening where u purposely leave the root exposed a couple wks then top fill(id re-pot tho like bannacis said).im n dwc now but i still use root hardening reg.
Can I get that from my local hydroponic shop ?? Or is that only in veg ?

BudBogart

BudBogart

Crops, if the plant looks big for the pot it's in, it's a good bet it's at one stage or another of being root bound.
At this point, I would let her finish as she is, without messing with the roots.
If it's just not working for you, you can saw or cut the bottom of the pot off. With plastic pots it is often easy enough to slip the root ball out of the pot and transplant in a larger pot. This can be done in a matter of seconds IF the root ball cooperates. Your issues with any correction at this point will be damaging the buds and stems during the process. That's why I recommend just riding it out, but without seeing the plant and pot it's hard to tell what your situation is really like.

Crops

Crops

Crops, if the plant looks big for the pot it's in, it's a good bet it's at one stage or another of being root bound.
At this point, I would let her finish as she is, without messing with the roots.
If it's just not working for you, you can saw or cut the bottom of the pot off. With plastic pots it is often easy enough to slip the root ball out of the pot and transplant in a larger pot. This can be done in a matter of seconds IF the root ball cooperates. Your issues with any correction at this point will be damaging the buds and stems during the process. That's why I recommend just riding it out, but without seeing the plant and pot it's hard to tell what your situation is really like.
Nice one Think it’s just me being paranoid about it ......being the first grow she’s still got about 4 Maybe 5weeks left and depending I think I’ll just stick with it the way is and see how it gets on thanks anyway Much appreciated

Bannacis

Bannacis

How long have they been in the pots? 3-4 weeks in veg can grow a lot of roots. My guess is that they be root bound, that will stunt growth, possible affect the finished buds as well.(negatively). she'll stress if root bound.
Those pots look extremely tapered, so the root ball should come out easily. 5 gal buckets, drill plenty of holes even up the sides about 4 inches. fill in some soil...transplant and water. If you do it carefully and not break too many roots...all should be good. even if it lengthens the flower time by a week, they will grow better.

Crops

Crops

How long have they been in the pots? 3-4 weeks in veg can grow a lot of roots. My guess is that they be root bound, that will stunt growth, possible affect the finished buds as well.(negatively). she'll stress if root bound.
Those pots look extremely tapered, so the root ball should come out easily. 5 gal buckets, drill plenty of holes even up the sides about 4 inches. fill in some soil...transplant and water. If you do it carefully and not break too many roots...all should be good. even if it lengthens the flower time by a week, they will grow better.
Hi bannacis I repot and retrimmed her 5weeks ago into that pot in picture...left her for a 1week to recover And then flipped her to 12/12 but the root ball was quite big then about the size of a small football when repotted into that potBut for some reason the growth only seem small...I’ve looked at drainage holes and can’t see any popping out roots sorry to be a pain

Bannacis

Bannacis

Considering the size of rootball and how your pot tapers quite a bit, I would say she has filled up that small bottom.
I would repot, if she has slowed down as you say... she's not going to change that any time soon.
With that taper you should be able to repot. try pulling on main stem slowly, maybe turn pot on its side and ease it out.
You will know if she is rootbound. have a bigger pot ready to transplant.
Some of your top soil will fall off, you can replace that after repot. Be sure to add more drainage holes...more the better.
If you don't want to do that, then I guess ride her out. it is possible that the strain has a slow growth period at this time??? So you will know at harvest. Next time go for larger pot.

Crops

Crops

Considering the size of rootball and how your pot tapers quite a bit, I would say she has filled up that small bottom.
I would repot, if she has slowed down as you say... she's not going to change that any time soon.
With that taper you should be able to repot. try pulling on main stem slowly, maybe turn pot on its side and ease it out.
You will know if she is rootbound. have a bigger pot ready to transplant.
Some of your top soil will fall off, you can replace that after repot. Be sure to add more drainage holes...more the better.
If you don't want to do that, then I guess ride her out. it is possible that the strain has a slow growth period at this time??? So you will know at harvest. Next time go for larger pot.
next time I will deffo using larger parts ..I’ve got some in the shed Which I will repot into today nd just add on A extra week or two for harvest ... I’ve learnt so much from the thc farmer threads for next lady’s that are 3weeks in the ceiling stage waiting for the bigger lights thanks man ...ill get back to u later with progress I hope..... thanks

Top Bottom