Can Tapper To Closed Column Connection

• Thread starter Saint Skinny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Howdy Dabbers, Dabbettes, 710 snobs, and all others!
So after years of the trusty glass tube, the time came to step up to a closed column pressure extractor. Said extractor is tiny, as in a 24 gram column lol but it was bought more for occasional personal use, and mainly to try the tech out, not as a sole supply for daily medicating.

Now, since the column in question is so small, and wont be used on a regular basis, it seemed to make sense to get a can tapper instead of buying a huge tank and umpteen times more butane than needed. So the question is, How would you go about attaching the can tapper to the Column? and if you run a closed column, how do you usually do it?

the column top cap connects to a 1/4" NPT ball valve on either end, the Can tapper has 1/2" ACME-M and 1/2" FL-M threads, both with valve cores. I'm not sure, But I thought I read the valve cores could just be there to act as a check valve to avoid anything going back into the can. if that's the case, things wont be as difficult as I thought.

any help is appreciated! Growers love, y'all!

Graywolf

Graywolf

Ummmmm, not a whole lot of advantage to closed column extraction.

Time, temperature, and flow are the key components. You are missing flow with closed column.

Optimally you will also control both the column temperature, as well as that of the solvent during injection and any soak.

Without flow, not only does the solution risk being saturated, but even if it isn't, boundary layers build up that slow down or stop the reaction.

Been there, done that, and suggest that you skip that step and move up to at least passive closed loop extraction.

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Ummmmm, not a whole lot of advantage to closed column extraction.

Time, temperature, and flow are the key components. You are missing flow with closed column.

Optimally you will also control both the column temperature, as well as that of the solvent during injection and any soak.

Without flow, not only does the solution risk being saturated, but even if it isn't, boundary layers build up that slow down or stop the reaction.

Been there, done that, and suggest that you skip that step and move up to at least passive closed loop extraction.
I may in the future, but I don't really have the funds to do so at this point. We just moved into a new place and my hands are pretty much full as it is. What other gear would a passive closed loop require?

I mainly bought the closed column as a tester to see what the difference was in yield and quality when I used it compared to an open tube. I know different factors can play major roles in extraction, but I need to be able to get the butane to the spool before I worry about that

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

I may in the future, but I don't really have the funds to do so at this point. We just moved into a new place and my hands are pretty much full as it is. What other gear would a passive closed loop require?

I mainly bought the closed column as a tester to see what the difference was in yield and quality when I used it compared to an open tube. I know different factors can play major roles in extraction, but I need to be able to get the butane to the spool before I worry about that
Not to mention I got my Closed Column for around $50-$60... I feel like a closed loop will cost 5-10 times that, if not more, depending on the source of the pieces

Graywolf

Graywolf

Soaking improves the yield, but also increases the non target C-30 molecule pickup, like plant waxes and anthocyanin plant color pigments.

We get higher quality product extracting at subzero temperatures, but it lowers the yield.

Passive recovery can be done on the silhouette, or in bucks up grand style. Building your own Lil Terp is arguably the least expensive and Tamisium at least used to be the high priced spread.

Don't fall for any designs using a sight glass as the extraction column, unless it is certified to ASME Section III, for LPG pressures, the standard pressure vessels have to meet in the US to be safe and legal for LPG use.

Check out the usual suspects for sanitary components to build your own passive recovery system, which you can convert to active recovery at a later date, should that seem like a good idea.

Check out Lil Terp passive extractor at: https://skunkpharmresearch.com/passive-butane-extractor-and-reclaimer/

Check out Mk III Terpenator at:https://skunkpharmresearch.com/mk-iii-terpenator/

Last edited:
Graywolf

Graywolf

Here is a picture of the closed column design that we ended up with, which operates horizontally and is flooded from one end and vented at the other, so as to easily vent the atmosphere as it floods. We filled it until it spit liquid out the tall stack, and then valved them both off for the soak, or soak and vibrate.

As you need to remain vertical, you might modify your column to bottom flood so that you at least get full wetting and a complete fill.

BHO Pressurized and vibrated 1 1
Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Here is a picture of the closed column design that we ended up with, which operates horizontally and is flooded from one end and vented at the other, so as to easily vent the atmosphere as it floods. We filled it until it spit liquid out the tall stack, and then valved them both off for the soak, or soak and vibrate.

As you need to remain vertical, you might modify your column to bottom flood so that you at least get full wetting and a complete fill.
ROFLMAO I love the...Vibrato... err, umm....Vibration apparatus haha!
so you'r not pulling a vacuum before filling it then? I have a hand vac pump (not one you'd get from the same store you got your vibratory apparatus lol I went to Harbor freight and got a brake bleed kit deal for around $25, not to mention Harbor Freight was closer than Dabs and Dildos... Which is actually a store in Grand rapids, MI) I'll be using to pull a vac in the tube before flooding, and believe it or not, to purge at the end... Carpal Tunnel, here I come!

Graywolf

Graywolf

ROFLMAO I love the...Vibrato... err, umm....Vibration apparatus haha!
so you'r not pulling a vacuum before filling it then? I have a hand vac pump (not one you'd get from the same store you got your vibratory apparatus lol I went to Harbor freight and got a brake bleed kit deal for around $25, not to mention Harbor Freight was closer than Dabs and Dildos... Which is actually a store in Grand rapids, MI) I'll be using to pull a vac in the tube before flooding, and believe it or not, to purge at the end... Carpal Tunnel, here I come!
Vibrator used from a garage sale for 50 cents. Some finish wear, but otherwise in good shape........

I just floated the atmosphere out, but you could use a tee and a valve to evacuate it first.

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Vibrator used from a garage sale for 50 cents. Some finish wear, but otherwise in good shape........

I just floated the atmosphere out, but you could use a tee and a valve to evacuate it first.
lol they put a friggin vibrator in they're garage sale!? WOW! not to mention, who would buy a used vibrator for it's intended purpose? I gotta say, that's one thing I've never seen at a thrift shop, maybe I oughtta start hitting up garage sales to see what other goofy stuff people try selling

Graywolf

Graywolf

lol they put a friggin vibrator in they're garage sale!? WOW! not to mention, who would buy a used vibrator for it's intended purpose? I gotta say, that's one thing I've never seen at a thrift shop, maybe I oughtta start hitting up garage sales to see what other goofy stuff people try selling
Take a pair of rubber gloves............

Top Bottom