Can you prune TOO MUCH?

• Thread starter sweetolmaryjane
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bigeasyboss

Bigeasyboss

Yes trim the fan leaves,take them of,done cut any leaves around the buds or coming off the main branches,only trim the fan leaves as it gives buds more light and stops fan leaves affect the other leaves

S

sweetolmaryjane

yeah I asked that question like 3 years ago when I was a didn't know much about indoor growing

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

ok I am a little confused,
How will pruning the big fan leaves be me cutting off buds or potential buds?
I have heard of people pruning the large fan leaves for the buds to get more light.

To stick my nose on this conversation.. My opinion, Trim all mature fan leaves (stems tend to go purple if there at there max) and especially if they are covering up beautiful budding areas. . I also always remove leaves growing on the top side of a branch. (Like they are waiving at you) because they always get in the way of shit... Fan leaves reach a Max before they start to cost the plant energy, purpleing of a stem is a sure sign its maxed out (unless ofc you've had purple stems since day 1, then the theory doesnt work, obv...lol). I tend to remove any overcrowding of leaves aswell... leaf on leaf contact sometimes causes water on your leaves to appear and is susceptible to mold... also, critters love the overcrowded, leaf on leaf, shady, wet areas... and we all hate critters.... I personally trim fan leaves, strategically throughout the entire process,.... veg and flowering. I currently have a ridiculously good root system going on in my hydro.setup... so leaves arent AS crucial then if your root system was weak and even contaminiated. ALSO, I only trim a bit at a time, with at least a day or two in between trims... + I give them a day or two to recover after there weekly water and nute change just so they can rebalance... hope that helped
20180504 021813
20180510 033833

20180510 033833
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
In my experience you can prune too much and shock the plant.. You can also prune too close to flower and end up with weak colas

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

I don't dare touch hash leaves, and I selectiveky choose intruding leaves or light blockers to good budding branches... Leaf growth usually slows to a near halt at the final days before harvest anyways... so there is minimal trimming, if any at that point... just have to really understand the paticular strain you are growing... i am currently in my 3rd week of flowering in my small but beautiful grow room.. LOL
20180511 031439
20180510 033833

H

hawkman

Strong, healthy looking plants !!! the close-up photo of plant looks great - plant has great structure

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

Thanks man!!.... I take good care of them.... inspect them every day, check.ph every 2nd, and tinker with nute levels every flush.... which i do every Sunday.... use bottled reverse osmosis, purchased water. Take care of them, they will take care of you! Hahaha

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

So I am big into pruning, lollipooping, supercropping, stalk splitting, manifold in etc...any way you can manipulate the plant to create a larger, more convenient, more efficient bud sets...
I start as soon as the clone is rooted on which way to go.
I always trim fan leaves strategically...I trim every fan leaf to the final four on every branch 1 wk before flower...I will then on day 21 cut off every major fan leaf up to the final four on every branch and again on about day 50 of a usual 75 ay flower cycle...every bud site is bulging and final trim is easy...

I went to my friends house and did his plants for the first time...he was in tears at what I did to the plants...but he has seen mine so he sucked it up and could not believe his eyes...he did nothing different as far as enviroment, lights or nutes and yeilder over an ounce more per pot just by being more efficient.

Hey man, Sooo I'm very new to growing, but what you wrote, I tend to agree with you. I notice everytime I remove leaves, and open the plant up to more air, and light, the plant seems to thrive noticeablely for the next 2 days or more....Im 3 weeks into flowering, and still trim leaves. Seeing great results... So I agree.... Trim throughout the entire process. A friend of mine "topped" my plants whem he was showing me how to trim... I nearly cried like your friend did haha... even pinching stems hurt my feelings.... but I'm definitely happy with the results and there recovery.... Thanks for the read! Happy gardening!

Reactions: 18B
H

hawkman

So I am big into pruning, lollipooping, supercropping, stalk splitting, manifold in etc...any way you can manipulate the plant to create a larger, more convenient, more efficient bud sets...
I start as soon as the clone is rooted on which way to go.
I always trim fan leaves strategically...I trim every fan leaf to the final four on every branch 1 wk before flower...I will then on day 21 cut off every major fan leaf up to the final four on every branch and again on about day 50 of a usual 75 ay flower cycle...every bud site is bulging and final trim is easy...

I went to my friends house and did his plants for the first time...he was in tears at what I did to the plants...but he has seen mine so he sucked it up and could not believe his eyes...he did nothing different as far as enviroment, lights or nutes and yeilder over an ounce more per pot just by being more efficient.
like to trim/prune up to 3/4's height of the plant the remaining 1/4 is un-touched as for Heavy Defoliation do it twice: once in veg ( wk 3/4) and once in flower (week 4) then thru out grow one needs to "prun" as needed. And always feed after "heavy " defoliation and when one top's this help prevent/reduce stress

Latest posts

Top Bottom