Can You Use Any Part Of Plant After Finding Caterpillars

• Thread starter Leodess
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Leodess

Hello. First time grower. Made the mistake of not recognizing a caterpillar problem soon enough. I harvested yesterday, but is any of it even salvageable? Many of the buds have did brown leaves and areas. I know I have to pitch those. But what about any buds that are still all green?

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

You want to cut out all of the damage and I do mean at of it. Next year spray B.T. at the start of flower and problem solved

L

Leodess

Here is one of the branches. Clearly the brown buds need to go. If the one that he top isn't affected, keep or toss? Probably seriously over thinking this, but not looking to give myself pneumonia lol

20181011 192615
20181011 192615
Madbud

Madbud

Sucks leodess but i wouldn’t risk it. When you hang that plant the cats will drop out by the dozens. And the tops are usually where the most eggs are.

Madbud

Madbud

Half dozen of these dropped out of just one drying bud today, third day hanging. If there is one cat on a plant, theres fifty. Colorblindness helps spot them on live trees.

AAFA5D53 2828 4773 A806 665FA1F93B84
Madbud

Madbud

These are not true caterpillars btw, they are sawfly larva so BT won’t work on them.

D5F34CFC 1EF6 4371 97E4 11DCAAB7EFFF
DBCD000B C48C 4B8B B06D F52B23443F80
Madmax

Madmax

Gee they do some serious damage for such a small grub.yeah bin it dude..you wouldnt even know you had those till the bud started browning..would suphur powder work.?

Madbud

Madbud

Gee they do some serious damage for such a small grub.yeah bin it dude..you wouldnt even know you had those till the bud started browning..would suphur powder work.?
Just started researching them, another four dropped in the last hour. Soon as they hatch they drop down a thread, looking for live plants i assume. Growth rate is about double each day so i chopped a little early before they did any noticeable damage.

Madmax

Madmax

Just started researching them, another four dropped in the last hour. Soon as they hatch they drop down a thread, looking for live plants i assume. Growth rate is about double each day so i chopped a little early before they did any noticeable damage.
Wise choice to cut your losses...ive just been looking on ebay and can get that spinosad what Organiks mentioned in either powdered form or concentrate .heck knows what would work best without giving the buds a wicked taste..

Hemp55

Hemp55

Bud rot is about to take over. The Caterpillars will shit inside of the bud where you cant see it. It starts to grow mold and then rot the bud. Best thing to do is cut buds down and clean in a H2O2 bath with water. Mix 1 part H2O2 and 4 parts water in a 5 gallon bucket ( 1:4 Mix ). Then wash buds and get all poop out of the buds. Cold water will also push out the Caterpillars. You have to do this while the buds are still fresh. Best bet is to cut them off the plant and do this immediately after. Last, hang buds to dry and drip free of excess water. Have fans moving the air around in your room. Inspect buds when dry by cutting them open and looking for rot. Sorry this happened. Better to learn on your first grow outdoors then on your 3rd or 4th. Dab

Organikz

Organikz

Wise choice to cut your losses...ive just been looking on ebay and can get that spinosad what Organiks mentioned in either powdered form or concentrate .heck knows what would work best without giving the buds a wicked taste..
I think hes past spinosad. He just has to take what he can at this point. I would only apply spinosad 2 weeks to harvest and no closer.

Hemp55

Hemp55

Yes use Spinosad to battle the Caterpillars. Just dont spary on plants when you have huge buds. It should only be used up to week 3-4 in flower. If the buds are little stars that is fine but once they start getting bigger I cut off of it. Its all about preparing for flower and the last couple of weeks of flower. Then you just let them run and do their thing. My 2 cents..

Madmax

Madmax

I was thinkiing of myself hehe..when or if i get the buggers nxt yr at harvest..you using spray or powdered Organiks..

Edit .i can get it in aerosol can too ........gee its pricey 1ltr of concentrate for 240 bills lol..
Tomatoe dust 3 in 1 is only 24 bills in powdered form..

Last edited:
Organikz

Organikz

I was thinkiing of myself hehe..when or if i get the buggers nxt yr at harvest..you using spray or powdered Organiks..

Edit .i can get it in aerosol can too ........gee its pricey 1ltr of concentrate for 240 bills lol..
Tomatoe dust 3 in 1 is only 24 bills in powdered form..
Liquid concentrate at double strength. Use unchlorinated water. I suspect chlorine kills spinosad. I notice it to be much more effective when using unchlorinated water. After all it is a strain of bacteria.

20181012 082454
Hemp55

Hemp55

You notice your hairs will start to turn early and fall off. Also you will have brown tip sugar leafs along the buds.

Organikz

Organikz

I would like to add that I dont spray it. I spike the soil. It's an endotoxin so it will spread through the plant systemically and die 5-7 days later. It's also biodegradable.

Top Bottom