Canna butter recipes vary widely in timing and doneness.

• Thread starter Califlower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Califlower

Califlower

One said it could be made in 60 minutes, another said 22 hours of simmering was essential.

Some say simmer, some say boil, then simmer. Some say wait until a glossy sheen appears.

I've heard rumors of crock pot usage, but I could only find stove top recipes.

Some say it is essential to finely grind the herb with an electric grinder, a hand grinder is inadequate.

Suggestions for strainers are metal, cheesecloth, or coffee filter. I would probably use metal.

Some say use immediately, others say put in or on fridge to separate.

Anyway...

L

leafmold

Ive personally had the best luck and stick with a crockpot. I put a fine dice on the material with the chef knife. And crockpot on low for around 24 hours. Usually use 1-2 ozs trim/budlets per 4 lbs butter. Its not the comotose all day budder for a regular medicater but it comes out fairly strong. Oh and for straining I use the cheapest cotton tshirts I can find. Double rubber gloves so you can squeeze out every last drop of goodness. It works for us anyway

Califlower

Califlower

Thanks! I found one recipe with a crockpot, but she only does 1-2 hours... probably not enough, lol.

Edibles don't really affect me very much, never have, but maybe I'll feel a little something if I use at least an ounce per pound.

Actually, I need to make it for someone who is sick and really can't smoke right now, but I want some brownies or whatever too, lol!

Natural

Natural

Not sure I would use 4 lbs of butter..he must have meant 4 sticks or 1 lb.
Crockpot is a great method. I put in 4-6 cups of water and chop up 4 sticks (1lb) and crank it on high till the butter melts. Then I stir in 1-2 ounces (depending on potency) and set it on low. Over night is good..it's a big window let it go at least 12 and under 24 hrs. I quit using cheesecloth due to it being hard to manage. I stick a noodle strainer in a salad bowl and a fine metal strainer in that..carefully pour the crockpot out into the bowl..sometimes this takes 2 go's if you have a smaller metal strainer. Stick the bowl in the fridge for another 8 hours and what you have is a cannabutter pie. Carefully cut in half with a knife and flip them over onto some wax paper. You want to scrape the milky creamy slime off the bottom as this is the part of the fats you don't want..I discard this into trash, as I do the water left in the bowl when you remove the cannabutter pie. If your pie looks a little too green..you can clarify it some more by boiling down into water and repeating the process..cleans it up a bit if you want.
Lastly...hard to get the dosage just right..make sure you do plenty of sampling so your sick buddy can more easily titrate his dosage.

S

svsuv

I make butter using the method on this video:

Use 1-1/4 or 1/12 ounces per one pound (4 sticks) of butter. I use cheese cloth in a quart jar. Video shows using a coffee filter to fine strain - I use a fine mesh strainer instead. I usually "cook" for 4-6 hours, sometimes longer.

Don't have to separate the water from butter as no water is used in the jar.

I make cookies or brownies using the canna butter instead of oil called for in the cookie/brownie mix.

Three cookies usually last me most the day.

Great stuff!

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

Put x amount of butter into a large pot. Put x amount of buds into pot. Fill 3 quarters of the way with water. Heat to boil then lower to simmer immediately.

Use tongs or slotted spoon to lift buds out of water and look at the trichomes on the outside.

Are they still there? Then keep the simmer going.

Are they all gone? Then your almost done!

At this point run the butter water weed mix through a strainer and into a large container. Use strained weed in a carrot cake or zucchini bread.

Place water/butter mixture in the fridge overnight. Lift the solidified butter disk/plate from the container and discard the water.

Use butter in any recipe as you would.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Dont you need to decarb your weed first??
We always decarb cannabis 1st then on to cannabutter recipe.

1 zip per 4 sticks/1lb of butter. Better the trim the stronger the butter. Buds will produce more potent mix compared to fan leaves . Sugar leafs are second to buds

lemons

lemons

I bought this magic butter thing for like $20, not the electric one just a little pitcher thing. Fits up to about a 7 and makes one stick at a time. You can play around with it to get your method dialed in using less herb then apply it on a larger scale with other equipment. I personally declarb for 11 min, or until the smell gets heavy, at just under 300 then simmer for 30-45 min. It turns out perfect every time

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
That's a good question. Seems that's how people are doing it these days. I've made many VERY POTENT batches of edibles without decarbing first. :jawdrop:

outwest
I think decarbing is for hash that has been extracted with out heating ing the process.even tho extracts will decarb on there own over time. but decarbing is mostly for thc conversion.
this is my take on it from reading graywolfs stuff and doing it my self.
when brewing butter tho, I never decarb and get potent butter that will knock you down if your not careful.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I think decarbing is for hash that has been extracted with out heating ing the process.even tho extracts will decarb on there own over time. but decarbing is mostly for thc conversion.
this is my take on it from reading graywolfs stuff and doing it my self.
when brewing butter tho, I never decarb and get potent butter that will knock you down if your not careful.

I'm with ya brother. If you watch the magical butter machine instructional videos, they suggest decarbing your weed at low heat in the oven. Those crazy kids!

outwest

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
I'm with ya brother. If you watch the magical butter machine instructional videos, they suggest decarbing your weed at low heat in the oven. Those crazy kids!

outwest
I think it cause true brew is 4 to 24 hours on butter. that machine is mins rite?
I make butter in fry daddys lol

lemons

lemons

I assume simmering in butter for an extended amount of time essientially performs the decarb step while it's in the butter?

Also an assumption, I think as long as the temp is correct you could leave it simmering for a week with no problem. Other than all your water reducing.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I assume simmering in butter for an extended amount of time essientially performs the decarb step while it's in the butter?

Yes, and since the THC is fat soluble it is absorbed by the butter and is then ready to ingest.

outwest

G gnome

G gnome

Thanks! I found one recipe with a crockpot, but she only does 1-2 hours... probably not enough, lol.

Edibles don't really affect me very much, never have, but maybe I'll feel a little something if I use at least an ounce per pound.

Actually, I need to make it for someone who is sick and really can't smoke right now, but I want some brownies or whatever too, lol!
Do 2oz per pound of butter and ull feel like ur on acid damn near

Top Bottom