Cannabis Cultivation: 7 Essential Tips For Outdoor Growers

• Thread starter farmermari
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
farmermari

farmermari

Lots of people asking for top-tips when it comes to successful outdoor growing. You can buy lots of good books on outdoor growing, and there is a lot of useful information on the cannabis growing forums and we have a handy guide.

Here is a summary of what I think are the most important aspects to successfully growing and protecting your outdoor-grown cannabis plants.

Plot preparation. The best growers prepare the plot well. Often the grower will buy quality compost and dig it into the soil, along with fertilizer to ensure that the plants have all the necessary nutrients to grow well. Some Spanish garden centres are now openly selling compost formulated for cannabis growing. A plot should get lots of sun and no shadows. It should be hidden from view, and ideally protected with bushes, brambles and branches to keep away unwelcome visitors. In some very dry countries the grower may dig water-absorbing crystals into the ground to help protect the plants against a summer drought.Some people prefer to locate their chosen grow area near a natural water source (spring or river) so they can easily get water to their plants in the event of a drought. The summer of 2012 has caused the opposite problem for many growers in northern Europe who have had too much rain and almost no sun.

Chicken wire. Rabbits, Deer and other wildlife love to eat cannabis plants and they have ruined countless crops. One of the best ways to protect your plants is to use the garden mesh/chicken wire which can be bought at any grow shop. This can be rolled into a tube and put around the plant to protect it. If the deer are a real problem you can also cover the top of the tube with mesh, but remember that the plant will need enough vertical space to grow, so the top-cover will need opening when the plants gets tall enough. Picture courtesy of Dutch Passion friend Grownbitchz from Autoflower network.

Slug pellets. Slugs are difficult to get rid of but slug pellets are a good way to protect the plant when it is young and most vulnerable. A ring of copper wire around the base of the plant is recommended by many, as are ground egg shells, diatomaceous earth and ground coffee.

Fishing line. Many growers routinely surround the perimeter of their site with fishing line. It is a strong but thin plastic wire that can be tied around tree-trunks, branches and sticks and many growers say it is a safe way to deter grazing deer. When the deer sense the fishing line they often back away and graze elsewhere. It doesn’t harm wildlife but it does deter them. A piece of soap on a string, tied to a branch, is claimed to be another good way of deterring deer – the smell is said to keep deer away.

Protective brambles. Not many outdoor growers (‘guerrilla growers’) accidentally find a great growing spot. Often the best growing locations take a lot of work to find and prepare. And once you have found it, the plot can often be used for many years. The ideal growing location will not be accidentally discovered by others either, often the plot will be surrounded by dense brambles, undergrowth and vegetation. Sometimes this was planted by the grower, sometimes it was there already. Many growers will find a large bramble patch and remove brambles from the central area. That then becomes a safe growing plot which is often safe from rabbits, deer and other people.

Don’t visit the plot too often. If growing in the countryside or mountains many growers prefer to keep the number of plot visits to a minimum for security reasons. Not only does a grow plot need to be free of repeat visitors; it also should not have any obvious paths to it caused by repeat visits. A realistic minimum is 3 visits. One visit to plant your seedlings, one to check/feed and once to harvest. Keep your plot free of litter, waste or any other unnatural items which will draw attention to it. In winter time, when the natural growth has died it can be easy to spot rolls of chicken wire which will leave your grow spot compromised. A professional grower is also a tidy and responsible one.

Get some good quality seeds …of a proven variety from a seedbank you trust! Here at Dutch Passion we have had 25 years of experience selectively breeding outdoor varieties that are tough and resilient enough to succeed in tough outdoor conditions. Nowadays the outdoor grower also has the option of AutoFem varieties (feminized autoflowering) which will grow from seed to harvest in 10-11 weeks and these will produce top quality cannabis.

J

JamesJharper

It is the most natural way to grow marijuana. Cannabis has been grown under the sun thousands of years back and still it is grown in the same way. For growing cannabis outdoors, all you need is good seeds and proper place ,and mother nature will do the rest. This method can save your time and money.
So for those heading outdoors with their growing ambitions, here’s a roundup of the most important tips of growing:

– Simplicity
First up, don’t get carried away with the technical stuff and complications. The reason being that if you’re living in an area where the weather’s amicable enough, all you’ll need to grow the good stuff is the ground, the sun and plenty of water – all of which is pretty much free of charge!

– Maximum Exposure
Think carefully about the areas of your garden/growing areas that soak up the most sun. Moving the plot a couple of meters might only increase daily sun exposure by 20 minutes, but boy does it add up over time.

– Soil Quality
Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you have to buy ultra-pricey soil of the highest caliber. It might help you out, but it’s generally not necessary for outdoor growing. That being said, make sure you do test the soil you choose to use to make sure it’s viable.

– Careful Timing
Don’t lose sight of the fact that you’ll need to make sure you time your planting/plant moving in accordance with the seasons. For example, if you grow indoors and plan to move your plants outdoors while the weather’s good, wait until the days are nice and long. When starting from seed, you can get things going any time after early April.
5 – Protect What’s Yours
Try and at least make a little bit of effort to protect your crop from animals and other human beings alike. This is valuable stuff and you don’t want it eaten or stolen by anyone else – keep it hidden or step up your security.

– Go East with Nutrients
When it comes to getting up and running, it’s a good idea to follow the same indoor rule of choosing one brand of nutrients and sticking with it. Be frugal and careful with the dosages you serve up and don’t get carried away with too many products.

– The Bigger the Hole…
Be aware that the size you dig your holes or that of the beds in which you plant your seeds will have a very, VERY big impact on the size of your plants. The larger the holes you dig, the bigger your plants will grow. So really, there’s no such thing as going too deep and too wide – too small and narrow on the other hand…bad idea!

– Water Well
If the garden or plot where you’ve situated your plants has good drainage, it’s actually pretty difficult to get it wrong with the watering. Suffice to say the rain will take care of much of the hard work on your behalf, but unlike dealing with plants indoors it’s very difficult to over-water outdoor weed.

– Harvest Time
Last but not least, as your outdoor weed plants won’t be nearly under the same kind of lab-style control as the plants you might grow indoors, you need to keep a careful watch over them to identify the right time to harvest your buds. In theory you might be expecting to harvest them in early October, but the weather might throw you a curve ball and have things at their prime in mid-September. Suffice to say, this is one deadline you don’t want to risk missing.

lino

lino

7 lino grow tips

Skunks dig up guano nutes. the skunk will attack you so dont drop your flash light.

chop a wild large thorn olive tree in 1/2. Full welding leathers to go in the thorns for plant care.

12" branch of certain trees bored with 6" holes will maintain dirt and plants for 1 season. No one finds these plants, terrarium set ups are poss in certain eviro's for low maintain grows high in the tree tops. Plants will feed and root into certain trees.

large caliber gun shots will chase off hikers and bring LEO's, best free body guards for your crop.

rivers, canals, ditch irrigation, flood the road at harvest time. No one will get to your crop. Learning to take water w/o detection is an art. I can make water flow up hill w/o a pump.

NORAD, Rky Mtn Arsenal, military bases, if you can beat security these are the best grow areas, no ones looking.

become one with nature before you visit the grow, scout with hi power lens and when the coyotes , fox and game feed from your hand you will harvest w/o arrest. Put thread across all paths chest high to know if some one visiting, BTW, this allows you to find all the other crops. HOWEVER with game cams everry where now you really need to be on your game. your shoe prints or a visitors? It sucks but you have to take their crop as soon as you find it.

Last edited:
Ina

Ina

A realistic minimum is 3 visits. One visit to plant your seedlings, one to check/feed and once to harvest.
realistic?!:)I will go only 3 times with pleasure but you have to water from time to time,you have to check if there is any fallen on the ground,you have to check if something eats them or someone was there...Even if you feed with what's in the soil you have to check what they need at least on 2,3 weeks during the season. Lots of things can ruin guerilla garden it is really not like when the plants are in your back yard(o,when it is going to happen here!).therе is more key moments during the season if you want to harvest something decent....I agree you have to go as rare as possible but 3 times?Or may be they mean "to harvest at least something"?!Also you can plant more plants on different places,more than you need in the end because some of them could be lost....I use regulars mostly and I plant 30 to get 10 in the end:)Sometimes when I plant small plants next time when I go they are just disappeared:)And all that paranoia with our stupid laws here,i just want to be gardener,not some kind of narco traffikant,i have 3 backyards waiting for me to with all the gardening equipment,greenhouses and I still hide in the bushes,WTF?!How stupid is that,i don't even want to grow guerilla style any longer!:)It ios so unforgiving and ungrateful activity for 35 years old mother,FOR CHRIST SAKE hahaha I apologize for the deviation!:)

Madmax

Madmax

Tips....be discreet . tell no one .or if you must use trusted family member.
.suss out spot and b prepared to stay in area for awhile and get familiar with surroundings . .prepare area months in advance.get your family member to drop you off with the gear .tarps to collect water etc..always take a gun when going to check and never walk straight to them..but like i said at start most people cant keep their own mouth shut .avoid the urge and dont self discriminate.you are then 3/4 the way there to being a successfull grower..the rest is easy...

Top Bottom