Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome

• Thread starter CaliShark
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Graywolf

Graywolf

Allow me to add that I regularly get free samples from visiting former students or associates, so am not isolated, but did stop using samples from one source that caused my scalp to tingle, similar to eating something spicy. He didn't grow his own or rely on the same farmers, but bought bulk batches on the open market for processing.

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

Thank you for sharing this. So glad to hear you are well again. Must have been hell....especially not knowing what was wrong at first. Positive vibes for the future :D

Tardbuster

Tardbuster

Azadirachtin poisoning. Neem oil is the hot 'organic' derpicide of the day.

I seen a girl get fired from a dispensary after asking for reduced hours due to the symptoms, went to the dispo, everything has that peanutty smell. Its dirty weed poisoning. Maybe not just Azadirachtin. Lots of unflushable hydro industry snake oil products stick to your membranes and thermal issues will be obvious when u cant ventilate because of smoking plasticized weed. Any of those old "smoke smoothening" or "slow burn" additives will make your guts hot.

V

VamSogel

I want to make this post to tell my story with Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome.

I have smoked weed for almost 2 years now (started smoking regularly around January 2016). My friends and I started smoking daily through a bong and joints/blunts. This continued through summer of 2016. During summer 2016, my friends and I smoked heavily (I would guess I was smoking around an 8th of weed per week). We also were taking chops (weed and tobacco) consistently. I never experienced any negative side effects from smoking until about august of 2016. I was just moving into the dorms for my first year of college when I woke up one morning feeling nauseas. I started to throw up and developed a very sharp, constant pain in my lower abdomen that would not go away. I was vomiting uncontrollably and the pain in my abdomen was unbearable. I could not stop throwing up and eventually was in so much pain that my parents had to take me to the ER. I could not keep any liquids or food down so I was very dehydrated and in pain. The doctors ran many tests (blood, urine, CT scans) but everything showed that I was healthy. I am a very healthy person and have never had any prior medical conditions/history. I am about 5’11 165 lbs. They suggested that I had Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome, something I had never heard about. I read up about CHS and concluded that it was ridiculous I could have such a thing considering that weed had always been super beneficial and something that I could count on to relax myself. It was also a very social thing amongst my friend group. Thus, my stubborn self continued to consume marijuana pretty much daily, usually smoking a joint or two at night. At this time I was in the dorms for college and did not have access to a bong, so I would only smoke bong if I was at a friends house. My parents obviously were very concerned and seemed to think that I did actually have CHS, but the doctors could not officially “diagnose” me with it. It was not until about 2 months later when one night, I had the same nausea from the start of school. I began to throw up again and the excruciating pain returned. Having experienced this before, I attempted to “tough it out”. I stayed up all night in my dorm bathroom, constantly taking hot baths to try and subside the pain. Eventually the morning came and I could not bear it anymore, I was also so dehydrated that I thought I would pass out. I returned to the ER and the same thing happened again. The doctors gave me some anti-nausea medicine, fluids, and eventually painkillers to stop the stomach pain. My parents were understandably pissed, knowing that I had still been smoking. again the doctors said they thought it was CHS and said I needed to stop smoking. (P.S. after both visits to the ER I generally felt fine the next couple days and did not have recurring symptoms besides my stomach being weak from throwing up so much) Once again, I did not want to give up smoking so I continued again. I smoked daily for about 11months with no visit to the hospital and no signs of CHS. Thinking I was in the clear, I had another incident very recently, this time being worse. I had to visit the ER 3 days in a row, each morning repeating the same cycle of vomiting, pain, etc. As of now, I have stopped smoking because I have finally realized that CHS is real and unfortunately I have developed it. Along with the excruciating pain, going to the ER every so often is not something I want to be doing.

It has been about 5 days since my last ER visit and I have not smoked weed since then, nor do I plan on starting. But, it kills me to think that weed will forever be something I must abstain from. Speaking to any of you who have CHS, is there any chance I will be able to consume marijuana every so often, maybe a joint or bong hit every week or two? I have accepted the possibility that I will never be able to smoke weed again, but I also was curious to try using only CBD? I have heard of the benefits of CBD and I think it would be something very helpful to me. Am I able to consume strictly CBD without instigating another hyperemesis breakout? I am worried to try anything because I really do not want to experience it again. If you have any insight - please respond with your experience with CHS. Thanks

King Julien

King Julien

Well when I was a teenager and smoking a ton of crappy reggie I developed panic attacks bad enough I thought I was having a massive heart attack. I only got them when I would smoke. Freaked me out because I really liked to, and still do, smoke. Ended up taking a 6 or 7 week break before even trying it again.

When I tried it again I got panic attacks but they were manageable and eventually with occasional smoking got back into the habit regularly. I thought at the time it might have been pesticide related but I got it no matter what bud I smoked from where including homegrown I knew had nothing on it.

When it comes to CHS I believe I have experienced it a number of times a few years ago back when I was both smoking a half+ a week and consuming edibles pretty heavily.

It started as feeling rough in the gut in the mornings and I attributed it to my IBS but it was happening way more regularly. Every so often after a particularly long day of heavy consumption, and in particular smoking a lot very late, I would wake up after 2-3 hours of sleep with a horrible stomach ache, the shits, repeated vomiting to the point of repeated dry heaving along with the most horrible cold sweats. Once it passed I would be fine but I would be weak to the point of being useless all day and the next.

I do have a theory about why this happens though.

CYP2C9*3 is a gene mutation held by an unknown percentage of the population that can decrease the rate at which THC is metabolized into less active forms by up to 3 fold. This is just the big one we know about. There's bound to be dozens of genes that different coding causes all sorts of different highs for people off of the same weed.

Effectively if you have this mutation you maintain 3X the blood THC levels of a person without the mutation for up to 3 times as long. If you have the CYP2C9*2 Mutation you only get 2X the effect.

My thinking is that people with this, and as of yet undiscovered mutations like it, have a problem getting rid of cannabinoids from their tissues which can cause a dangerous build up that the majority of people would never be able to experience.

The half a week I was smoking was nothing compared to the 2 ounces, a few edibles a day, and a few grams of wax a week that the dude I was getting the stuff from was consuming and he never had a problem in his life. This and the others I've known that have consumed like that their whole lives without any problems leads me to believe this is a person specific problem.

K

kansabis

I want to make this post to tell my story with Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome.

I have smoked weed for almost 2 years now (started smoking regularly around January 2016). My friends and I started smoking daily through a bong and joints/blunts. This continued through summer of 2016. During summer 2016, my friends and I smoked heavily (I would guess I was smoking around an 8th of weed per week). We also were taking chops (weed and tobacco) consistently. I never experienced any negative side effects from smoking until about august of 2016. I was just moving into the dorms for my first year of college when I woke up one morning feeling nauseas. I started to throw up and developed a very sharp, constant pain in my lower abdomen that would not go away. I was vomiting uncontrollably and the pain in my abdomen was unbearable. I could not stop throwing up and eventually was in so much pain that my parents had to take me to the ER. I could not keep any liquids or food down so I was very dehydrated and in pain. The doctors ran many tests (blood, urine, CT scans) but everything showed that I was healthy. I am a very healthy person and have never had any prior medical conditions/history. I am about 5’11 165 lbs. They suggested that I had Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome, something I had never heard about. I read up about CHS and concluded that it was ridiculous I could have such a thing considering that weed had always been super beneficial and something that I could count on to relax myself. It was also a very social thing amongst my friend group. Thus, my stubborn self continued to consume marijuana pretty much daily, usually smoking a joint or two at night. At this time I was in the dorms for college and did not have access to a bong, so I would only smoke bong if I was at a friends house. My parents obviously were very concerned and seemed to think that I did actually have CHS, but the doctors could not officially “diagnose” me with it. It was not until about 2 months later when one night, I had the same nausea from the start of school. I began to throw up again and the excruciating pain returned. Having experienced this before, I attempted to “tough it out”. I stayed up all night in my dorm bathroom, constantly taking hot baths to try and subside the pain. Eventually the morning came and I could not bear it anymore, I was also so dehydrated that I thought I would pass out. I returned to the ER and the same thing happened again. The doctors gave me some anti-nausea medicine, fluids, and eventually painkillers to stop the stomach pain. My parents were understandably pissed, knowing that I had still been smoking. again the doctors said they thought it was CHS and said I needed to stop smoking. (P.S. after both visits to the ER I generally felt fine the next couple days and did not have recurring symptoms besides my stomach being weak from throwing up so much) Once again, I did not want to give up smoking so I continued again. I smoked daily for about 11months with no visit to the hospital and no signs of CHS. Thinking I was in the clear, I had another incident very recently, this time being worse. I had to visit the ER 3 days in a row, each morning repeating the same cycle of vomiting, pain, etc. As of now, I have stopped smoking because I have finally realized that CHS is real and unfortunately I have developed it. Along with the excruciating pain, going to the ER every so often is not something I want to be doing.

It has been about 5 days since my last ER visit and I have not smoked weed since then, nor do I plan on starting. But, it kills me to think that weed will forever be something I must abstain from. Speaking to any of you who have CHS, is there any chance I will be able to consume marijuana every so often, maybe a joint or bong hit every week or two? I have accepted the possibility that I will never be able to smoke weed again, but I also was curious to try using only CBD? I have heard of the benefits of CBD and I think it would be something very helpful to me. Am I able to consume strictly CBD without instigating another hyperemesis breakout? I am worried to try anything because I really do not want to experience it again. If you have any insight - please respond with your experience with CHS. Thanks
Not to sound like an ass or call you a liar but it sounds more like a bug or virus cuz if you kept smoking and it took you weeks or months before this happened again and you didn't quit smoking it couldn't of been cannabinoid buildup cuz you never took a break meaning the buildup would of still been there. And college dorms are havens for illness. Lol

T

tbingheim

good morning! Im so happy to hear that this may be an explanation for my husbands symptoms. He has been a smoker for ever since high school . He is 58. We have been going to the e. r. for the last several years for what im now believing is this CHS. He is a diabetic and was diagnosed with gastroperisis which is when diabetes affects the major nerve in the stomach and keeps him from digesting his food properly. Although i believe he has gastroperises i am starting to lean more towards CHS. He is home right now fighting a cramping stomach throwing up and chills with sweats. He has been down and out for the last 3 days. He was feeling better last night and went out to take a hit and a bit afterwards he was back to feeling bad again. WE will experiment with cutting it out for awhile and see if this helps. He cannot sleep either with all of this.

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

I have smoked for almost 30 years. I smoke at least an ounce a week of flower, and go through several 1ml carts. I smoke bubble hash and keif, through pipe, bong and joints. Typically I smoke when I wake up and then consistently through out the day up untill bed. I have done so for at least 1+ years smoked like this. I grow a lot of my own, but have purchased from all over. I have never had these issues. The only people I know who have, I believe the product had been treated with neem O̟i̟l̟ regularly. People here saying they smoke a lot and go through an 1/8 a week lmfao or smoke 4 times a day..... I’m sorry that’s not a lot. I can’t believe that it’s just cannabis related, it must have somthing to do with what’s not supposed to be in it. If it was just from the build up of cannaboids then I surely would be dead

T

tbingheim

I have smoked for almost 30 years. I smoke at least an ounce a week of flower, and go through several 1ml carts. I smoke bubble hash and keif, through pipe, bong and joints. Typically I smoke when I wake up and then consistently through out the day up untill bed. I have done so for at least 1+ years smoked like this. I grow a lot of my own, but have purchased from all over. I have never had these issues. The only people I know who have, I believe the product had been treated with neem O̟i̟l̟ regularly. People here saying they smoke a lot and go through an 1/8 a week lmfao or smoke 4 times a day..... I’m sorry that’s not a lot. I can’t believe that it’s just cannabis related, it must have somthing to do with what’s not supposed to be in it. If it was just from the build up of cannaboids then I surely would be dead
but.........not everybody reacts the same , thats with anything. you are a lucky one i suppose.

McRitchie420

McRitchie420

I’ve been suffering from CHS now for 2 years. Long story short it sucks and doesn’t get better.

McRitchie420

McRitchie420

but.........not everybody reacts the same , thats with anything. you are a lucky one i suppose.
Def not caused by neem oil. I have tried a buddy’s crop he grew and didn’t use any pesticides what so ever and it still got me sick.

McRitchie420

McRitchie420

good morning! Im so happy to hear that this may be an explanation for my husbands symptoms. He has been a smoker for ever since high school . He is 58. We have been going to the e. r. for the last several years for what im now believing is this CHS. He is a diabetic and was diagnosed with gastroperisis which is when diabetes affects the major nerve in the stomach and keeps him from digesting his food properly. Although i believe he has gastroperises i am starting to lean more towards CHS. He is home right now fighting a cramping stomach throwing up and chills with sweats. He has been down and out for the last 3 days. He was feeling better last night and went out to take a hit and a bit afterwards he was back to feeling bad again. WE will experiment with cutting it out for awhile and see if this helps. He cannot sleep either with all of this.
When he is in severe pain tell him to take a hot shower or bath that helps with the stomach pain and vomiting. Also I found chocolate milk helps with the stomach pain as well.

Top Bottom