Cannabis Treatment for Swine Flu

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

Cannabis Science Inc. Reports on Prospective Life Saving Treatments for H1N1 Swine Flu and H5N1 Bird Flu in View of the Current Global Threat

SAN FRANCISCO, Apr 27, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Cannabis Science Inc. (GFON:1.40, +0.15, +12.0%) , an emerging pharmaceutical cannabis company, reported today on the current state of development of its whole-cannabis lozenge in response to Homeland Security Administration Secretary Janet Napolitano's declaration of a public health emergency to deal with the emerging Swine Flu pandemic. The Company's non-toxic lozenge has properties that could alleviate many of the symptoms and harmful effects of the H5N1 bird flu and H1N1 swine flu viruses, and has offered its assistance to HSA today in a letter to Secretary Napolitano. The Company has offered to produce up to 1 million doses of its whole-cannabis lozenge, and provide them to HSA for distribution at cost.

Cannabis Science Inc., President & CEO, Steven W. Kubby said, "We have the science and preliminary anecdotal results confirming the anti-inflammatory properties of our new lozenges and indicating they may present an effective and non-toxic treatment for minimizing the symptoms and harm from influenza infections. Our lozenges appear to down-regulate the body's excessive inflammatory response to the influenza virus, which could reduce the deadly consequences of an infection into something that is more like a common cold. Because of my cancer and diminished auto-immune functions, even common influenza is a deadly threat, and I've had incredible symptomatic relief with the lozenge."
Dr. Robert J. Melamede, Director and Chief Science Officer, stated, "The influenza virus has a unique genetic make up that, in combination with its replicative machinery, has an extraordinary capacity to mutate. As a result, the high lethality of some strains can be attributed to the resulting adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). ARDS is caused by an excessive immune inflammatory response driven by Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF) that leads to the death of respiratory epithelial cells and resulting organ failure.

Endocannabinoids are nature's way of controlling TNF activity. Existing peer reviewed publications have shown that phytocannabinoids can prevent this cell death by mimicking the endocannabinoids that nature has selected to prevent excessive inflammatory immune responses."
Dr. Melamede, who is also a researcher and past Chairman of the Biology Department at the University of Colorado Springs (UCCS), cautioned, "Smoked marijuana will not effectively prevent the excessive inflammatory response, despite delivering the beneficial pharmacological agents, due to the irritating, pro-inflammatory nature of smoke. In fact, I believe it will make things worse and should be avoided by infected individuals."

Mr. Kubby added, "If a swine or bird flu pandemic emerges -- and everyone seems to think that it is just a matter of when, not if --, there is simply no time for the usual bureaucratic process. With emergency government approval, we can legally access the huge supply of medical cannabis available in California to produce millions of life saving doses within a relatively short period of time."

Dr. Melamede furthermore stated, "Based upon recent discoveries regarding the role that endocannabinoid system plays in maintaining human health, we have a unique solution to the looming threat posed by deadly influenza strains that we believe, if implemented, could save millions of lives. We will strive for an emergency review of our cannabis extract-based lozenge because we believe its availability will prevent many of the deaths associated with the hyper-inflammatory response associated with known lethal strains of the influenza virus. Current anti-influenza medications have a demonstrated decreased effectiveness against some of these lethal variants. Mankind cannot wait for the emergency situation to materialize. We must be proactive in gaining the necessary governmental approvals to test, and pending the outcome of our studies, produce our lozenge."

Mr. Richard Cowan, Director and CFO, who recently spoke in Mexico City to a conference sponsored by the Mexican Congress, stated, "I believe the Mexican Congress recognizes that doctors should be able to prescribe medical cannabis. We are prepared to work with the government of Mexico to produce similar medical cannabis products to help fight the outbreak there. We look forward to working with Government officials, including Homeland Security, to help advance our treatments for these outbreaks in Mexico, Canada, the USA, and around the world."

About the H5N1 Bird Flu and H1N1 Swine Flu Strains
The H5N1 bird flu currently has 63% lethality. A swine-derived H1N1 strain was responsible for 20,000,000 influenza associated deaths in 1918 (more than killed by World War I). The current lethal outbreak of swine flu (H1N1) in Mexico has killed over 80 people and infected more than 1,400 others. There are 20 confirmed cases in the United States, with reports of infections in Texas, New York, Ohio, California and Kansas. Additional reports identify possible cases in New Zealand, Canada, Spain, France and Israel. The H1N1 Swine flu is a porcine respiratory disease caused by type A flu viruses. Human cases occur in people who are around pigs, but an infected person can transmit the disease to another person. Symptoms include a high fever, body aches, coughing, sore throat and respiratory congestion.

About Cannabis Science, Inc.

Cannabis Science, Inc. is at the forefront of medical marijuana research and development. The Company works with world authorities on phytocannabinoid science targeting critical illnesses, and adheres to scientific methodologies to develop, produce, and commercialize phytocannabinoid-based pharmaceutical products. In sum, we are dedicated to the creation of cannabis-based medicines, both with and without psychoactive properties, to treat disease and the symptoms of disease, as well as for general health maintenance.

Forward-Looking Statements

This Press Release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Act of 1934. A statement containing works such as "anticipate," "seek," intend," "believe," "plan," "estimate," "expect," "project," "plan," or similar phrases may be deemed "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Some or all of the events or results anticipated by these forward-looking statements may not occur. Factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include the future U.S. and global economies, the impact of competition, and the Company's reliance on existing regulations regarding the use and development of cannabis-based drugs. Cannabis Science, Inc. does not undertake any duty nor does it intend to update the results of these forward-looking statements.

SOURCE: Cannabis Science Inc.

THCF Source: http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/cannabis-science-inc-reports-prospective/story.aspx?guid={03D1AE62-679E-460D-988F-EE0966A80445}&dist=msr_2

Pigs flying
B

blackone

I just don't buy that pig-farm...
It's sad to see cannabis marketed as the miracle medicine against almost every disease known to man.
It's also sad to see medicinal cannabis being used as a springboard towards free cannabis - IMHO this definitely doesn't help the people who are genuinely benefitting from MMJ.

F

FastForward

I hear where you're coming from Blackone, and technically I'm not an MMJ person - but apparently MJ has wider applications. The best analogy I can think of is aspirin.... some people have been recommended to take aspirin long term because of it's blood thinning properties....whereas others only take it for short term probs, like a headache.

I fear that it might be nigh-on impossible to try to separate the two, because one of the big issues is determining which are valid medical applications for MJ. At the moment AFAICS anyone in California (for example) can goto a doctor, get a script for MJ for relatively minor illnesses (e.g. insomnia, anxiety - as compared to more serious illnesses, such as MS or Cancer). And then ultimately, if someone gets benefit from MJ, feels it makes their life better without significant downsides, then who has the right to tell you/anyone that you can't use it? That's the crux of the issue imho. Not easy...

K

Kalcu

I don't think this would be a drug that they would chose to use, but there should be choices in what medicines you want to take.

Swine flu, well let's see how far this one develops. I think we will see more of this kind of thing, seeing that we know so much now very quickly. Mankind has never really had that ability to learn so much so rapidly before. The next thousands of years will document a great deal.

F

FastForward

There was an american radio DJ on UK's Talksport the other night, saying that all these flus are government manufactured to control the masses... not sure I'm that much of a conspiracist, but these days nothing would surprise me....

M

mr.red

Lol FF, while visiting my mother the other day she said the same thing.

Also, I see where you guys are coming from with the miracle cure that is cannabis.

I know it has many applications.. but some people need to stop throwing it out there as a cure-all

peace and pot

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
I've never been into conspiracies, but i just feel all this is a lil too much. First it was the salmonella thing, which before that lil outbreak, you only heard of getting it from under cooked poultry. Now magically it's on plants?

And now we have a flu called "swine flu" but it's a combination of pig, bird, and human influenza? I'd really like to hear how 3 totally different viruses, that have evolved to target the specific host (bird, pig, or human) magically somehow combined into a whole new virus, without ANY human intervention. And it's funny that all of this is coinciding with Codex's dec 21, 2009 deadline.

GET MO

GET MO

Supporter
I think the swine flu was made to stimulate the economy. Look how every antibacterial on the market is flying off the shelf! Marijuana is a miracle drug, it makes you feel better!

S

StonedOwl

I think the swine flu was made to stimulate the economy. Look how every antibacterial on the market is flying off the shelf!

I think if we apply Occam's Razor to the various ideas put forth on this subject so far, that one comes out looking quite possible.

S

Simple Simon

It's a well known fact that cannabis is an anti-inflammatory . Sure Cannabis Science Inc. is looking out for Cannabis Science Inc. by trying to make big bucks from there product but I would rather see them get it than some drug company who fights to keep cannabis out of our lives!! :fighting0040: If it improves the quality of life while you are fighting off the flue (or any thing else) why the hell not . Like I all ways say " If I got to die from anything let it be with a smile on My face". :happy ---------------SS

O

Oaksterman

I think the swine flu was made to stimulate the economy. Look how every antibacterial on the market is flying off the shelf!
I don't agree with that. While I did watch this closely never saw the populace go into panic mode. For sure canna has some legit medical uses and probably would have more peer reviewed and approved studies if research on it was 'allowed' more freely. I work with a product that specifically promotes immune health/vitality. Have worked in the health food/supplement area for over 20 years. I'm not attached to anything...just stuff that works and I think is worth someone shelling $ out for. Will be nice to see what surprises canna can offer for legit med uses.

GET MO

GET MO

Supporter
Any uptdate on this? I woke up yesterday with a fever and sick/sore/dizzy as hell. Had a fever and everything, so I took hella edibles (suckers, lozenges, teas, brownies) and was blasted. My fever came down tho and I feal a little better today. Dont know if I got the swine or somethin else but the weed seemed ta help.

B

Benhill

get mo what happened was it the h1n1? Man
Cases still poping up...

Top Bottom