Catapillars on Flowering Plants

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
I fought them for a few years blood sweat and tears and I said F$#k it and went indoors after lmao. Just my experience with the bastards. I tried spraying 1 year and got bud mold and grey mold and white mold lol.

Sunbaked

Sunbaked

as with mold , prevention is the way to go. once you get worms or mold it's to late. kill them in the grass you never get worms .promise. The moths hide in the lawn during the day. kill them there. last 2 years have been almost worm free since I stumbled on this. I was treating for ticks and saw all these moths flopping around . kill the moths ,no worms.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Once August hits, you need to spray for cats every full moon. That is their life cycle. If you can spray your lawns, veggies and cannabis during the full moon, you can knock down the populations quite a bit. I always post a thread saying this. Last two years everybody around me has been complaining about cats, and my damage has been minimal. Come the harvest moon, they get real bad. If you don't knock them down then, come the Hunters Moon, they will be everywhere.

I was talking in a Pm the other day about crop loss. They were saying the same thing about not being able to handle a % of their hard worked crop being lost to cats or mildew. On the flip side, if you loose 20% of 100 lbs, you still have 80 lbs.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ayup! Somethin's better'n nothin'.
Catapillars are the worst to fight. It's nice to spray when it's in vege, but do you really wanna spray your buds with anything when there mature? I heard if you make bubble hash with the damaged buds and it will wash out the catapillar crap. Is this correct?
I don't see how, their frass is about the same size as many trichome heads. And then there's the mold associated in those areas.
I just cant do it anymore. It breaks my heart. Burnt on capa-tillers. Culling two small OD plants and basically chopping off half my big plant. Feeling my shoulders and spirit sink a little just typing it out....haha. Pleh. Bummed
Look man, it's your first grow, I get it, we've all been there. But if you leave that rotten stuff there, it's going to simply cause the rest of it to rot. So you either cut it away yourself and start applying iso or something to stop that rot, or you watch your buds rot before your eyes. It must be done.
Yeah.............. I wont be planting outdoors after this harvest. Its time consuming as it is-the pest issue just brings it to a whole 'nother level. I love EVERYTHING about growing-except this pest issue and seeing so much go to waste just destroys me a bit...........
But that's the thing. If you get on top of it, it's not an issue. If you just start spraying, alternating treatments, with Bt and Spinosad, you'll have a real handle on the problem.

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

caterpillars are the babies... kill the mothers (moths) they hide in lawn grass in the daytime. spread tick killer on your lawn and it kills the moths. try it next year.

My lawn is 5 acres wide. YOU spread tick killer on my lawn haha. Too much work man. My watermelons got PM i had to chop those down yesterday too.... Outdoor is not my cup of tea i guess.. @Seamaiden you were right. Indidnt cut off all the rot and now my entire plant is fucked. What. A. Bummer.

Im taking it in as a lesson. Its all good. Outdoor is a science all on its own. I think ill tackle one beast at a time. Your right, this is my first grow.... So... Perhaps my next one will go better. I wont give up by a damn sight. But i am pretty heart broken that i cant smoke my ladies beautiful buds : (

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My lawn is 5 acres wide. YOU spread tick killer on my lawn haha. Too much work man. My watermelons got PM i had to chop those down yesterday too.... Outdoor is not my cup of tea i guess.. @Seamaiden you were right. Indidnt cut off all the rot and now my entire plant is fucked. What. A. Bummer.

Im taking it in as a lesson. Its all good. Outdoor is a science all on its own. I think ill tackle one beast at a time. Your right, this is my first grow.... So... Perhaps my next one will go better. I wont give up by a damn sight. But i am pretty heart broken that i cant smoke my ladies beautiful buds : (
I'm going to make two suggestions for you. First, get a quadrunner. Second, get a good tank sprayer. I've got a 26gal sprayer that's actually overkill for our area, but it mounts right on the back of the quadrunner and I just added more hose so I could reach further with it.

Every day is a lesson.

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

I'm going to make two suggestions for you. First, get a quadrunner. Second, get a good tank sprayer. I've got a 26gal sprayer that's actually overkill for our area, but it mounts right on the back of the quadrunner and I just added more hose so I could reach further with it.

Every day is a lesson.

I laughed out loud when i read this, imagining myself 4wheelin around spraying down my property all mad at the caterpillars, mad max style. i dunno, funny visual. I want one badly. Cant afford it. Next few hundo i got extra is going to a new hps 600w ballast and hood and a 370 6" cfm exit fan.

Its my dream to grow a big 10 lb outdoor plant. Id love to. I truthfully just need to invest more love into learning outdoor. It must be frustrating for someone who is so talented at growin outdoor to listen to some lil snot nose saying shit like ..."its too hard, waaah" haha. Your 100% correct... Everyday is a lesson, and most arent easy to swallow. Ill takr this in stride and remember what i learned this year.

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
When you spray to kill the moths and catapillars doesn't that also kill all the good predator bugs also?

Sunbaked

Sunbaked

I don't spray. I use granules in a spreader . I buy the good ones . 18000 ladybugs for 80 dollars delivered. ladybugs also eat caterpillars and their eggs.you can kill them or pick caterpillars off your buds all through the fall and watch them rot.

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
My problem is my neighbors don't do anything to their yards and everything comes over the fence. At my location it's a never ending battle. I give props to all of you that are battling the cats. and succeeding.

Sunbaked

Sunbaked

I don't think they fly very far. I only treat about 30 feet around the grow. seems to work pretty good. don't get them all . It is what it is. Like I fog for mosquitoes around the edges of my yard twice a year. Pretty much none for the entire summer. The neighbors mosquitoes don't migrate to my yard . same for the moths.

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
I'm glad it worked for you man. That shit don't work at my house. Been there done that good luck.

Wisher619

Wisher619

here is my 2 pennies...for your next outdoor grow....get some 4x4's and build and 8'x8' base....now grab some 2x4's and build 4 walls...now go to the local fabric store and buy enough mosquito netting for all 4 walls and roof....staple netting tight to the inside of the walls using small pieces of cardboard squares between staple fabric and wood...then get some 1x1 trim and trim the inside where the fabric is...on one wall frame for a door and velcrow screen up as the door...the top run trim to secure it...now you have a roll up screen door...put your plant in the center and grow....all that will run you 100 bucks give or take a few bucks but you can have a protected badass outdoor plant for your enjoiment....the rest keep indoors

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

here is my 2 pennies...for your next outdoor grow....get some 4x4's and build and 8'x8' base....now grab some 2x4's and build 4 walls...now go to the local fabric store and buy enough mosquito netting for all 4 walls and roof....staple netting tight to the inside of the walls using small pieces of cardboard squares between staple fabric and wood...then get some 1x1 trim and trim the inside where the fabric is...on one wall frame for a door and velcrow screen up as the door...the top run trim to secure it...now you have a roll up screen door...put your plant in the center and grow....all that will run you 100 bucks give or take a few bucks but you can have a protected badass outdoor plant for your enjoiment....the rest keep indoors
I havr truthfully been considering this, only i was gonna double up on 25%shade cloth on the walls, and clear visqueen plastic for the roof. Ive been thinking about it a lot actually. Not just for cannabis but for tomatoes corn potatoes and lettuce rows. Too many insects where i live. Found the country out in southern cali lol.

@Seamaiden i shouldve cut it all, you were right... One more night out and bam, whole plant toasted. It was on day 60ish and was just starting to fill out... Regretting to report that i cut and pulled her. Maybe a gram at the most was salvagable..

20150828 080011

Last good picture of her. R.I.P.

This was taken about two weeks ago before she started beefin up. Lesson learned.

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

Aw.. :( She was lookin' so good, too!

Dang. That means a lot comin from the sea-monster from norcal. Thanks yo

Theres no feeling like tossing a couple ounces of freshly cut bud into the garbage for the first time.

5150THC

5150THC

I havr truthfully been considering this, only i was gonna double up on 25%shade cloth on the walls, and clear visqueen plastic for the roof. Ive been thinking about it a lot actually. Not just for cannabis but for tomatoes corn potatoes and lettuce rows. Too many insects where i live. Found the country out in southern cali lol.

@Seamaiden i shouldve cut it all, you were right... One more night out and bam, whole plant toasted. It was on day 60ish and was just starting to fill out... Regretting to report that i cut and pulled her. Maybe a gram at the most was salvagable..

View attachment 535255
Last good picture of her. R.I.P.

This was taken about two weeks ago before she started beefin up. Lesson learned.
What a shame:(

Latest posts

Top Bottom