Ceveres' Grow Diary #1

• Thread starter Ceveres
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JakeyBakey

JakeyBakey

@JakeyBakey dont remember if i posted this. The one on the left is 7gal fabric, the right is 5gal hard pot. I don't think the 2 extra gallons is the cause of the larger root ball as much as the air pruning, forcing the roots to grow back inward and fill empty spaces
View attachment 747856
Right on, yeah thats the difference there! with air pruning, no root circling.

Nothing fancy
I mix FF ocean forest soil
w/ 2 tablespoons mykos dust
I layer the top with 1-2" of Big Jim worm casings
Then an even layer of clay pebbles on top to help avoid water tunnels (some at the bottom too)

Ceveres

Ceveres

I'm in sort of a dilemma. I wanted to go another week or so with this outdoor betch, but the rain has been relentless the past few days. My dumb @$$ planted this girl in a planter right up against the back of the house, and there is no gutter. Needless to say, all the roof run off is drenching my lovely nuggets! :badboy:

In my defense tho, this was the runt of my indoor garden, so I put her outdoors with full intentions of a swift death. To my surprise she has made it this far (With minimal inputs btw, which is making me rethink my indoor nutrient regimen). All she has had in bloom is a bit of compost tea and a top dressing of High P Sea bird guano (Wisher's advice which has been spot on). I have her covered to minimize the shower the budz are getting right now.

Problem is what I assume to be bud rot? Not sure because I've never grown outdoor before, and never dealt with it indoor. Do I cut the rotten shit out and keep her growing? Or should I just chop the whole thing, remove the crappy parts, shake it off and dry it? @Wisher619 brother?
20171014 150033
20171014 150102

You can see what I'm talking about better with the flash on in this one
20171014 150046

Found this lens kit I bought a while back for my phone's camera. Has fish-eye, wide angle, and this macro lens. Pretty cool.
20171014 155330

The rot or whatever seems mostly concentrated on the colas in the drip line, not the main middle cola (untopped for fun). What do you guys think?

Ceveres

Ceveres

Still raining, I moved the colas out of the drip line and the "rot" doesn't seem to be progressing. It looks like some nice colors are starting from the cool temperatures at night, so I would prefer to let her continue growing for another week or so. What do you guys think @Farmer P @EventHorizan @G gnome @SmithsJunk ? Cut the one branch off and let her get some autumn colors? Thanks, y'all the real MVPs lol

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Still raining, I moved the colas out of the drip line and the "rot" doesn't seem to be progressing. It looks like some nice colors are starting from the cool temperatures at night, so I would prefer to let her continue growing for another week or so. What do you guys think @Farmer P @EventHorizan @G gnome @SmithsJunk ? Cut the one branch off and let her get some autumn colors? Thanks, y'all the real MVPs lol
Warch it closely...
Remove it if you confirm its bud rot just t9 be on the safe side and peace of mind..
I d9nt know if it is but i know it botther the hell out of me if i didnt..

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'm in sort of a dilemma. I wanted to go another week or so with this outdoor betch, but the rain has been relentless the past few days. My dumb @$$ planted this girl in a planter right up against the back of the house, and there is no gutter. Needless to say, all the roof run off is drenching my lovely nuggets! :badboy:

In my defense tho, this was the runt of my indoor garden, so I put her outdoors with full intentions of a swift death. To my surprise she has made it this far (With minimal inputs btw, which is making me rethink my indoor nutrient regimen). All she has had in bloom is a bit of compost tea and a top dressing of High P Sea bird guano (Wisher's advice which has been spot on). I have her covered to minimize the shower the budz are getting right now.

Problem is what I assume to be bud rot? Not sure because I've never grown outdoor before, and never dealt with it indoor. Do I cut the rotten shit out and keep her growing? Or should I just chop the whole thing, remove the crappy parts, shake it off and dry it? @Wisher619 brother?
View attachment 750021 View attachment 750034
You can see what I'm talking about better with the flash on in this oneView attachment 750057
Found this lens kit I bought a while back for my phone's camera. Has fish-eye, wide angle, and this macro lens. Pretty cool.View attachment 750069

The rot or whatever seems mostly concentrated on the colas in the drip line, not the main middle cola (untopped for fun). What do you guys think?

I'm sorry to see that on your only outdoor girl. I think Horizan is being gently optimistic. Only you can tell for sure since pictures never show exactly what the person taking them is looking at. I hate to say it but it looks like rot to me, or you've got some vicious a$$ caterpillars in there.

If it is rot, then that is a pretty well spread out infection. I hate to say this but you're girl is probably a total loss. I dont think it would do any harm to let her grow out, chopping bad spots with alcohol swabbed scissors with every cut and gloves on. Bag those cuts and directly to the garbage or burn pile. Not sure how to treat her unless I knew exactly what she has. There is no universal treatment I can find. Phythophthora - phosphoric acid, botrytis - calcium silicate & baking soda, fusarium - nothing works past treating seeds, other kinds can be hampered by a dilute H2O2 solution. It's all up in the air unless you can identify. Sorry, I can't really help. If you figure out what it is for sure, I will hunt for treatments for you. Horizan is dead on right. Consider root diseases as well since it is pretty spread out on your girl. Hard to identify these b*tches. I guess you could use a smear on a micron grid (under a microscope) to identify spores by size (if it is in fact a surface and not root problem).

I'd just clip clip the bad spots and hope for the best if she were my only one. Maybe cut early, if she's close to harvest and you don't want to risk it and save the good areas.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

...if it is a root disease, chopping will make no difference since it probably is an indirect effect caused by bad nutrient flow. Not sure what to do in that situation.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Going back over your comments and pictures. If it stopped progression without treatment, I doubt it's bud rot. That stuff continues on if not chopped. Could have just been heavy water saturation strangling the roots. Let her grow if she's continuing healthy now. But still be careful about cross contamination with any other part of a grow or future grow.

Ceveres

Ceveres

Warch it closely...
Remove it if you confirm its bud rot just t9 be on the safe side and peace of mind..
I d9nt know if it is but i know it botther the hell out of me if i didnt..
It Is! It's driving me nuts! Lol it might make me feel better to remove the affected colas and take a small hit on yield. My indoor haul was pretty nice so I'm not too hurt if I lose some of this. Thank you for your quick response tho guys. This is from yesterday.
20171015 141918

Maybe I should just chop the whole thing tho and clean up the mushy parts and salvage what I can from her ahhh so indecisive! Lmao I'll check her after work to see how wet she is still

Ceveres

Ceveres

Going back over your comments and pictures. If it stopped progression without treatment, I doubt it's bud rot. That stuff continues on if not chopped. Could have just been heavy water saturation strangling the roots. Let her grow if she's continuing healthy now. But still be careful about cross contamination with any other part of a grow or future grow.
Thanks man, do you think it could have just been too wet? And that just made it mushy in parts? That's not rot? Because rot is a certain bacteria or fungi?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

It Is! It's driving me nuts! Lol it might make me feel better to remove the affected colas and take a small hit on yield. My indoor haul was pretty nice so I'm not too hurt if I lose some of this. Thank you for your quick response tho guys. This is from yesterday.
View attachment 750454

Maybe I should just chop the whole thing tho and clean up the mushy parts and salvage what I can from her ahhh so indecisive! Lmao I'll check her after work to see how wet she is still

Much better pic. Still don't know. If you we're blasting her with nutes, I'd say you were burning her, but you're not. You want to look for something that causes systemic damage.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Mostly what we get around here that's called "rot" is grey mold. We toss those buds. The new pic makes me not think rot at all or your whole bud would go brown. Maybe it's just not far enough along yet. When I see something like that close up it reminds me of indoor plants that have been over watered with bad airflow.

Ceveres

Ceveres

I've never dealt with bud rot, but I dont see anything wrong in your pics. Just looks like some nice red hairs to me.
It's kinda hard to photograph. Here's a close up. They're like mushy brownish black sugar leaves.
20171016 115552

Much better pic. Still don't know. If you we're blasting her with nutes, I'd say you were burning her, but you're not. You want to look for something that causes systemic damage.
You really think so? I would have sworn it to be specifically from the 4-5 days of straight rain we have gotten?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

It's kinda hard to photograph. Here's a close up. They're like mushy brownish black sugar leaves.
View attachment 750459

You really think so? I would have sworn it to be specifically from the 4-5 days of straight rain we have gotten?

Overwatering would cause systemic results but if you're finding rot spots get rid of that bud. I wouldn't smoke it myself. Clip the bad, save the good, see how it progresses. Or trim the bad off and cut her completely. Bathe the fresh cut branches in a 3% peroxide solution of 1 cup per 5 gallons of water. Rinse well afterward and dry.

Ceveres

Ceveres

Overwatering would cause systemic results but if you're finding rot spots get rid of that bud. I wouldn't smoke it myself. Clip the bad, save the good, see how it progresses. Or trim the bad off and cut her completely. Bathe the fresh cut branches in a 3% peroxide solution of 1 cup per 5 gallons of water. Rinse well afterward and dry.
I'm gonna give the peroxide rinse a try. I've also heard lemon juice in water to cleanse outdoor buds works also. Cut out the nasties, give a little rinse, and maybe I'll still be able to smoke some of this girl haha

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'm gonna give the peroxide rinse a try. I've also heard lemon juice in water to cleanse outdoor buds works also. Cut out the nasties, give a little rinse, and maybe I'll still be able to smoke some of this girl haha

Washed my first cut of Creamsicle, worked great. Not even a worry of mold/milldew.

I've read about lemon juice and baking soda in conjunction w H2O2 but not by themselves. The peroxide alone should do the trick. I don't like the idea of using lemon juice and baking soda, too broad a mux of chemical reactions between different Ph levels. I figure they'd just neutralise each other in the end anyway. After using dilute H2O2 alone my results were very very nice. So I can stand by that with confidence.

Ceveres

Ceveres

Washed my first cut of Creamsicle, worked great. Not even a worry of mold/milldew.

I've read about lemon juice and baking soda in conjunction w H2O2 but not by themselves. The peroxide alone should do the trick. I don't like the idea of using lemon juice and baking soda, too broad a mux of chemical reactions between different Ph levels. I figure they'd just neutralise each other in the end anyway. After using dilute H2O2 alone my results were very very nice. So I can stand by that with confidence.
I'm definitely one to go with first hand experience before shooting in the dark so I'll take your word on this one hehe

Latest posts

Top Bottom