Cheap alternatives to overpriced hydroponic nutrients

• Thread starter Chronic Monster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DGP

DGP

Any updates out there on Jack's? I am frustrated with the cost of hydro nutrients and the fact that my GH line went to Scott's and ultimately it looks like Bayer and Monsanto. I want to switch due to the cost but mostly because of the Monsanto/Bayer thing. I don't trust those folks to put in the nutes what they say they are, not to mention all their other despicable behavior in agriculture and pharma.

Some growers out there say the idea of changing nute balance from veg to bloom is bunk and they use the mix below all the way from veg to flower (maybe in lower concentrations when the plants are younger). This sounds kinda radical to me but they claim it is the way to go. Just wondering what the real deal is especially with not change the N P K balance for bloom.

Is the 3-2-1 mixing formula what most people use? (3 grams Jack's Hydro - 2 grams Calcium Nitrate - 1 gram Epsom per gallon)?

The analysis of that mix is supposed to be:

N - P - K = 1.0/0.93/2.01

Elemental breakdown ppm (total= ~576ppm):

N=102
P=41
K=171
Mg+76
Ca+89
S=97

Thanks,

Dee

NGA

NGA

IMG 1022

DGP

DGP

I ran some numbers on the Jacks professional-Calcium Nitrate-Epsom combo and if I buy the 25 lb bag of Jack's along with say 5 lbs of Epsom I would only have to buy fertilizer once per year and a half. It would take my nute cost from about $700/yr to about $100.

NGA

NGA

For $55 buck 22 lbs ,you can't lose,I've used many brands, this nute is as good as anything on the market, I usual run high ppm with this stuff I'm using considerablely less with really nice results

jewsh808

jewsh808

Nice...looks like you just mix in your water and done...no messing with pH and all that right
For $55 buck 22 lbs ,you can't lose,I've used many brands, this nute is as good as anything on the market, I usual run high ppm with this stuff I'm using considerablely less with really nice results

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I am using mega crop myself, loving it. I got the free sample first and then bought the 22 lb. bag for $55. Costs me $.03 to mix up 1 gallon. I like the fact that it has additives in it and not just NPK. Using about 5 grams per gallon, and it mixes very well and quickly.

NGA

NGA

That's what I used on my last girls 5 grams or so ,this go around haven't went over 20 grams per 5 gallons ,I'd have to say they look better,health wize and yield

StonedBlue

StonedBlue

Disabled Vet
Supporter
Do you use any other additives or boom busters with the mega crop?

xeamonk

xeamonk

I'm using Mega Crop now and I like it alot, plants love this stuff but I wonder about the N, its kind of high for late bloom, no? The additives they have are everything I was looking to add into my coco grows but wasnt sure how, and then some, so its perfect for me except for the extra N I'm not used to. They claim that feeding a complete nutrient profile all the way through, the plants will take what they need.... I'm not sure it always works that way in hydro. But Mega crop is awesome, it mixes easy and is really pH stable. I mix it just like I was mixing V+B. 100ppm tap/ro and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp and I hit close to 6.0 every time, I dont hit the pH down nearly as often, if its too low I just add 2-3ml SM-90. I got the free 290g sample, shipping was around three bucks. sweet.

xeamonk

xeamonk

its some stinky stuff, dry anyways. the smell seems to disappear when its mixed so thats good. and good to know its working well in your res. thats something i'll get into sooner or later.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

As I mentioned (in the wrong thread..LOL) I am using Megacrop for a flower cycle on 4 plants..
My regular feed is Canna Terra Flores (soil grow), but always open to something new..So far..so good..like my Canna..I have to supplement with Cal-mag about 4 weeks in (75% RO..25% tap)..LEDs are QBs + Unitfarm UFO80.. and Nextlight Mini..The Nextlight side showed no defs..while the side with the QBs and the UFO80 showed the Cal-mag problem..Added Cal-mag, and problems are gone just as before.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

What kind of problems do you see without cal-mag? I feel like Mega Crop could have a little more Ca.
Just the typical deficiencies that I would see if using my regular Canna Terra Flores and Ginormous (PK booster)..
The Quantum Boards are known for this..pretty easy to fix if caught early enough..

I like the Megacrop so far (still have most of my Canna stuff left though)..If the rest of the grow (4 strains..3 weeks in) go as well..Ima gonna get a larger size (my sample should make it through flower) of Megacrop.

I will be especially interested in the "terp enhancement" qualities, if they are real (3 of the 4 are fruity strains..)
For good measure..The 4th is a Cackleberry clone (my clone ..GPS from seed), that is just beginning a flush..the ONLY difference is that Mon flowered with 100% Canna and Ginormous and the Clone 100% with Megacrop..

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Nice structure and canopy. Are them under Quantum boards from HLG? Is that a 3x3 tent?
Thank You..
Yes..3x3x6..BUT the lights are a mix..left side= Nextlight Mini..right side = 2x QB132 (2700k) and 1x UnitFarm UFO80 (higher end LED using Cree chips)

Latest posts

Top Bottom