Chiller made from mini split?

• Thread starter aSilvrHaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

I'm thinking of trying to make a chiller using a 2 ton inverter style mini split.
Does this seem plausible? Would I be able to get ahold of just the outdoor unit to save a little on costs?

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm thinking of trying to make a chiller using a 2 ton inverter style mini split.
Does this seem plausible? Would I be able to get ahold of just the outdoor unit to save a little on costs?

Plausible, yes. Practical, not really. You need the cold coils to be sized for cooling water and to be inside a sealed tank you can then pass water through to use as the working fluid for cooling other spaces.

A minisplit also has freon lines snaking all over the place.you would need to replace those with water lines.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I plan to replace the evap coil with a freon to water heat exchanger. I want to go with a mini split to take advantage of the inverter technology, and the benefit of having the condenser/compressor outside

ttystikk

ttystikk

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I plan to replace the evap coil with a freon to water heat exchanger. I want to go with a mini split to take advantage of the inverter technology, and the benefit of having the condenser/compressor outside

Tell me more about this inverter technology, compadre...?

Appreciate the link to the chiller coils! That could well solve a problem I had with a used AC unit.

I appreciate the fact that my chiller is a window mount unit. This means it's outside all summer, and portable enough to put inside on a table to provide home heating all winter.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Basically the inverter tech allows the compressor to vary its output based on demand, less strain if the unit is oversized

You would be unnecessarily replicating a feature already built into the concept of water chilling. You see, a chiller runs until the water in the system reaches its setpoint. It then SHUTS OFF, saving power while the working water temp rises to the point set on the chiller- the 'rise'- and it kicks back on. Thus, it does match its output to the load, better than the inverter, and this contributes greatly to its efficiency relative to air conditioning.

S

seebobsled

I disagree .
This technology takes a 3phase motor and use a variable frequency drive and potentiometers. the benefits of this technology a soft starts rapping up power slowly depending on demand.
Induction motor and V.F.Drives are the future.
This technology allows a large unit to run at needed load @ 1/4-1/2 less amps. Also extends the life of components.
Some states offer rebates to retrofit with variable frequency drives on motors in commercial buildings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom