"Clear Concentrate" praise and questions

• Thread starter EMC2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Terpsauce

What makes you think thats how its done? The water cant get hot enough to vaporize THC. You can collect terps this way thou. (but there are better ways than this)

If I had to guess, I would say they superheat steam to a certain temp. Open a valve and run it through the material for a set amount of time to vaporize all the THC.
Not sure how they would re condense that something that hot without freezer coils. Maybe feed it into a chilled water bath and skim the top after?

I dunno

They use a rotovap and lab grade ethenol. They dissolve bho / sift / keef and winterize in a cryogenic freezer and use a buchner funnel to remove the plant waxes and lipids (winterization) then they rotovap the solvent back out..... At room temp under full vac ethenol will boil away and recondense in the other flask. Leaving an absolute in the main flask.... That absolute is 0ppm and is raw clear. Due to the high heat required to distill thc and cbd it would be rather hard to even in a krugerhol short path apparatus. Clear is just absolute made by thin film vacuum evaporation. Its not actually distilled . They don't collect the terps or at least don't give them back to you when it's made by the wercshop. Now if you wanted ... You could blast bho and evaporate the butane in a flask and when most of the butane is gone and its bubbling big start the rotovap at room temp and let it run until it stops bubbling.... Butane won't recondense in the rotovap but the terpenes from the fresh bho will collect in the collection flask (holy water). Swap out that flask with a new one and add ethenol to your bho and winterize it and rotovap the ethenol . Distilled terpenes are a by product of the process

T

Terpsauce

One way to make clear concentrate, is to use molecular distillation:

http://www.popeinc.com/still-products/wiped-film-stills-evaporators

You can put the monoterpenes in a separate bucket and add some of them back into the clear to return the aromatics and taste.
yes, but that is not how "clear" is made. that is a very expensive way to collect heavier di-terpenes. even without a solvent most of those light terpenes get destroyed or converted into other terpenoids. you can do the same thing with a rotovap and a short path apparatus. thc and cbd share the same number of carbon atoms they are the same weight but one boils at315 degrees and one at 365. , the difference being the molecular mass so even tho there is a slight difference in boiling points even in the best stills its hard to separate cbd from thc or thc from other plant fats/waxes. when you winterize and rotovap the solvent off, you are boiling off the terpenes and all of the impurities as well that's how you get 95%+ thc. that's raw clear. they just use strict quality control on the starting material.

Last edited:
Graywolf

Graywolf

That would of course depend heavily on whose "clear" is under discussion. Besides Meyers and Pope's units, Eden labs is experimenting with their own molecular distillation design.

Are you using "clear" as a brand name from a specific lab?

T

Terpsauce

That would of course depend heavily on whose "clear" is under discussion. Besides Meyers and Pope's units, Eden labs is experimenting with their own molecular distillation design.

Are you using "clear" as a brand name from a specific lab?

well, that's how the solventless oils are made. very well cleaned up absolutes with 4% terpenes added back. surely if one was actually distilling thc/cbd from a solution they would leave behind that 5-10% of unknown and it wouldn't be in the finished clear products. dual solvent winterization followed by few passes over activated charcoal and rotary evaporated it ill leave you with raw solventless oil up to 98% absolute. if you took that absolute and put it in a molecular still you could separate the thc from cbd but it would be extremely complicated due to the carbon structures of both cbd and thc being so similar im not saying its not being done, but not for 33$ a gram in a southern California lab.

Graywolf

Graywolf

With thin film molecular distillation, it could easily be separated into monoterpenes, diterpenes, and heavier molecules, which includes the anthro cyanins and plant waxes.

The first two can be blended a some ratio, and the last 30% or so thrown away

T

Terpsauce

With thin film molecular distillation, it could easily be separated into monoterpenes, diterpenes, and heavier molecules, which includes the anthro cyanins and plant waxes.

The first two can be blended a some ratio, and the last 30% or so thrown away
wiped film are cool but i could only imagine the cost and headache of getting it to actually work

Graywolf

Graywolf

wiped film are cool but i could only imagine the cost and headache of getting it to actually work

The good news is that some of the right minds are working on it and a lab scale unit isn't exorbitant.

T

Terpsauce

One way to make clear concentrate, is to use molecular distillation:

http://www.popeinc.com/still-products/wiped-film-stills-evaporators

You can put the monoterpenes in a separate bucket and add some of them back into the clear to return the aromatics and taste.

ive seen something similar with terpenes and sugars they were calling it holy water. im pretty sure you could evaporate butane and distill bho in the rotovap and catch some of the heavier terpenes sort of like a cold trap. but they all say they dont use cold traps to catch their terpenes thats what leads me to believe its rotovap as well

covertchem

covertchem

Not all strains but many saliva harvested two three weeks early can make a clear bho if clean led with ethenol...

Graywolf

Graywolf

We've extracted young Sky Walkers, that were almost perfectly clear, that darkened to gray, instead of amber, with film thickness.

Not the same as a clear extract though. They have only the faint odors of the Diterpenes, while the young extractions are aromatic with monoterpenes.

covertchem

covertchem

Your work has inspired me. I own the Terp extracter mk3 interested in taking the skunk farm class. How do I find out the schedule? I live in Michigan.

P

psilisophic

I tried to look back and make sure I'm not repeating anything thats been said..

1. The clear is SOLVENTFREE.. solvent free and solvent less are two different things.. one having all solvent removed and the other never touching solvent at all..

2. a rotovap is necessary for ethanol distillation but thats is most used post winterization or for LHO extracts..

3. The clear is a very technical process, using thin film DISTILLATION. I'm not sure who said it thin film eval, but if it was thin film evap you would lose quality material or release volatile flammable solvents into the air.. no fun

4. Terpenes are either removed prior to process for readministration post refinement, or destroyed and left behind with the process, leaving a "clear" cannabinoid fraction. non-cannabis derived terpenes are then infused, or not, hence "raw"

5. The first step in the clear is a cannabis extraction. be it ethanol, butane, propane, god cum, doesn't matter, it all will be removed in the end.

6. pigments are removed and the process will remove and kill any molds, mildews, and parasites.

Pure THC and pure Cannabinoid profile are the FIRST medically acceptable standardized form of medicinal cannabis.. no "smoke a joint" or "eat a brownie". instead, we have specific numbers of specific dosages with the opportunity to reimplement sequenced cannabinoids and terms that can be ailment-specific or connoisseur level product

EMC2

EMC2

My buddies over at 'thebostonbakeshop' figured out how to make the clear. They won't tell me but I've seen the roto-vape in their lab though they said they don't use it for the clear. I do know that the terps are added back in at the end for flavor. The actual clear is flavorless. TBH, after smoking it for a week, its nothing special. Its very cool when you're first introduced to it but I prefer ice wax/BHO.

Thanks to all the farmers for their input in this thread.

P

psilisophic

My buddies over at 'thebostonbakeshop' figured out how to make the clear. They won't tell me but I've seen the roto-vape in their lab though they said they don't use it for the clear. I do know that the terps are added back in at the end for flavor. The actual clear is flavorless. TBH, after smoking it for a week, its nothing special. Its very cool when you're first introduced to it but I prefer ice wax/BHO.

Thanks to all the farmers for their input in this thread.
its kept pretty under wraps, but I will say its not all that difficult, and the process is nothing new, its been around for decades, just never used with cannabis.. I really wish I could disclose more but proprietary is proprietary. Although I do have to disagree with it being nothing special. Not only is it the cleanest and most mind-glowingly delicious (infused with blueberry and vanilla terps) concentrate, Its gaurenteed clean and pure. its clean RSO. I will say right now that within 10 years, it will replace all other concentrates in popularity, as well as establishing a standardized system

Graywolf

Graywolf

Mostly I've seen rotovapes being used to remove alcohol and Krugelrohrs or Molecular Stills used for clear.

I've had it with its own terpenes added back, as well as terpenes from other sources, and it's ranged from tasty and smooth to more flavorful and raggedly harsh, soooo they aren't all created equal and we can expect a sorting out period to generally improve quality.

BubbaG

BubbaG

Y'all so racist lol.... I like some color in my shatter for christs sake lol.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Y'all so racist lol.... I like some color in my shatter for christs sake lol.

Color is heavily influenced by strain and level of maturity at harvest.

A young high sativa like Skywalker can produce an almost colorless extract, while a Chemdog of the same age will produce an electric yellow extract, when extracted and processed under exactly the same conditions.

Age at harvest makes a big difference, with clear trichomes being lighter than cloudy, which are lighter than amber extracts.

Top Bottom