"Clear Concentrate" praise and questions

• Thread starter EMC2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Wavegem

Wavegem

My buddies over at 'thebostonbakeshop' figured out how to make the clear. They won't tell me but I've seen the roto-vape in their lab though they said they don't use it for the clear. I do know that the terps are added back in at the end for flavor. The actual clear is flavorless. TBH, after smoking it for a week, its nothing special. Its very cool when you're first introduced to it but I prefer ice wax/BHO.

Thanks to all the farmers for their input in this thread.

Boston bake shop are hacks, that advertise false information, inaccurate dose amount, as well as contaminated products like moldy gummies. They are strictly about money and have nothing to do with medical. All the knowledge they have is a fraction of what is needed to run a proper operation. Claiming solvent less, wizard tears, flavorless uh?? Bubble hash will reign champion as well as rosin for a long while!! If you are an edible company you are a slave to the material and Boston bake shops material is garbage

BubbaG

BubbaG

@Graywolf thanks for the info bro. My favorite shatter to date was damn near black it was so purple.... tasted like saltwater taffy.... that was 2 summers ago I think. Most of the hash made from my product is a rich Amber and I typically run to full ripeness, whenever that is - don't count days anymore.

The Clear that I had was nothing special.... maybe it's the bomb for pens?

EMC2

EMC2

Boston bake shop are hacks, that advertise false information, inaccurate dose amount, as well as contaminated products like moldy gummies. They are strictly about money and have nothing to do with medical. All the knowledge they have is a fraction of what is needed to run a proper operation. Claiming solvent less, wizard tears, flavorless uh?? Bubble hash will reign champion as well as rosin for a long while!! If you are an edible company you are a slave to the material and Boston bake shops material is garbage

When I want the good hashish, Mr Bond is my first call. ;)

BBS isn't all that bad though. I completely understand your guys hate for them but they are stepping up our industry in RI and MA. They are def about the money, but then again, most of us are as well. I don't think thats a knock on them. I agree with the materials comment but disagree about the moldy gummies. Im pretty sure they eliminated water from their mix (which is what was causing the mold) and I haven't heard of any moldy gummies in 6+ months at least or gotten any that have molded up.

As far as their 'clear'. The first time I tried it I was blown away. I then tried another 2g worth and after it was done I said I wouldn't buy anymore at the price they were charging. I'm def not a fan of the artificial terps they add back in and without it, the taste of the clear is ehh at best.

At the end of the day their products are for the "mainstream". People who have no connections to getting the good stuff themselves so they turn to leafly. I think its fine for those people. The connoisseurs will always find better quality product/make it themselves.

P

psilisophic

I got the Wipedfilm from POPE... and let me tell you it is expensive and very challenging ... always open to PRO tips from anyone.... Lol #SOCAL
Lol you got a pope! damn, someones going big. What state you in?

V

VAPEDANK

I'm SoCal. I don't have a chemistry background...but we are trying our best

los0420

los0420

They use a roto vape ,it pulls vacumn and uses heat, it turns trash oil and wax into gold colored "clear" then they add terpenes back too it and give it any flavor they want all they need is the terpene profile of any strain and they can duplicate the taste

V

VAPEDANK

Roto vape is just 1/4th of the process ...technically you can make clear in a roto but it will take you hours to make a few grams...

EO.Supply

EO.Supply

Hey @VAPEDANK,

We are all about distillation and know those units in and out! Feel free to shoot us over a DM with any questions you may have.

Graywolf

Graywolf

We rotovape out the alcohol after winterizing using a Heidolph and then use a Kugelrohr at 185/220C @ .002 torr to fractionate off the mono and sesqui/diterpenes, discarding anything longer chain.

The condensing bulb is in isopropyl and dry ice, so both the mono and sesquiterpenes condense out, but the monoterpenes stay liquid and the sesqui/diterpenes stick to the side of the condensing flask.

At the end, we pour off the monoterpenes as a liquid and chase the sesqui/diterpenes out of the condensing flask with a heat gun.

kweezy420

kweezy420

We rotovape out the alcohol after winterizing using a Heidolph and then use a Kugelrohr at 185/220C @ .002 torr to fractionate off the mono and sesqui/diterpenes, discarding anything longer chain.

The condensing bulb is in isopropyl and dry ice, so both the mono and sesquiterpenes condense out, but the monoterpenes stay liquid and the sesqui/diterpenes stick to the side of the condensing flask.

At the end, we pour off the monoterpenes as a liquid and chase the sesqui/diterpenes out of the condensing flask with a heat gun.
in english, doc? lol

Graywolf

Graywolf

in english, doc? lol

Solly, I barely understand American, jargon and vernacular, without dragging in the Queen's English!

How about we meet in the middle, and you educate yourself to understand the language of the scientific process that we are discussing?

Try this and may I suggest doing some research at the links provided???
*************************************************************************************************
[QUOTE="We rotovape out the alcohol after winterizing using a Heidolph (Translate, we first winterized the material and then removed the alcohol using a Hiedolph brand rotary evaporator).
See:
Google Heidolph rotary evaporators
Read http://skunkpharmresearch.com/getting-the-green-and-waxes-out-afterwards/

and then use a Kugelrohr

Google Kugelrohr rotary evaporators

at 185/220C means 365F/428F

@ .002 torr means .000079" Hg, or 2 microns.

to fractionate means to fractionally distill off the components.

Read http://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-fractional-distillation-definition-process.html

off the mono and sesqui/diterpenes, discarding anything longer chain

(The raw oleoresin is a mixture of Monoterpenes, the lowest molecular weight, shortest chain terpenes, Sesquiterpenes, the next longer chain, Diterpenes, the cannabinoids that we seek, and longer chain molecules like flavoids, chlorophyll, anthro cyanin plant pigments, and plant waxes.

You vaporize off the mono, sesqui, and diterpenes, and collect them in the condensing bulb, leaving the heavier, longer chain molecules behind)

(You can fractionally distill the three of them into the same collection bulb, without changing it, because the monoterpenes are still liquid and the longer chain molecules are a resin sticking to the sides of the flask.)

At the end, we pour off the monoterpenes as a liquid and chase the sesqui/diterpenes out of the condensing flask with a heat gun.[/QUOTE]

That means to heat the collection flask with a heat gun, to aid pouring out the resin stuck to the inside of it.

Last edited:
C

Carcie

I've always heard that the "clear" process can turn black oil into gold. Most of the descriptions I've heard about the process leave me wondering how that process is removing the color. Well most descriptions are inaccurate or incomplete. G.W. as usual you bring the truth and the facts to back it up. I don't have an extensive science background, didn't even do high school chemistry. But I'm picking up what you're laying down. Hehehe
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Chris77

Chris77

Hey is that pic still there? I can't see it on the link. I would like to kno how this is possible

Graywolf

Graywolf

I've always heard that the "clear" process can turn black oil into gold. Most of the descriptions I've heard about the process leave me wondering how that process is removing the color. Well most descriptions are inaccurate or incomplete. G.W. as usual you bring the truth and the facts to back it up. I don't have an extensive science background, didn't even do high school chemistry. But I'm picking up what you're laying down. Hehehe
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Turning unmarketable product into easily marketed product is certainly one definition of gold that I easily relate to.

Not as flavorful, unless you add back terpenes, and you can't make chicken salad out of chicken manure, sooo even the base raw concentrate has to contain good things, mixed with the not good things, to end up with good things.

G

GSL

I'm curious, do you not end up pulling over the concentrate with the terps at the temps mentioned?

Graywolf

Graywolf

Yes. They stick to the sides of the collection bulb and the monoterpenes are captured as a liquid.

WPCollective

WPCollective

I joined just to comment on this thread.

There is a lot of miss information in here. I read the part where people can clean up BHO. I have done that, I've cleaned and processed a lot of really dirty oils and have made some clean RSO, shatter, and wax from it.

However, the "clear" that people are referring to is hash oil extracted using fractal distillation. Another big solventless push up here is Rosin but that is where guys are taking kief and using pressure with heat to press is into shatter or wax.

I just invested into the fractal distillation setup. I am extracting oils but as stated in earlier parts or the thread, I am losing all of my turpenes from the cannabis. I'm trying to figure out ways to get them back into the hash oil or how to extract them prior to running the process.

When it initially comes out, it's a really floral clear hash oil. It tastes just like the hydrosol smells. It's almost like when you run low quality trim and you get the taste of chlorophyll in your oil.

I started using fractal distillation with orange rinds to get orange oil. Since my rig has an oil/water separator after the condenser, it separates it out. The hash and orange oil mixed together makes an orange infused hash oil. It tastes just like oranges and only two drops on the nail and it vaporizes completely and has me feeling pretty good. There's no after burn and the smell in the air is awesome.

The next step would be to get the last bit of water that the oil/water separated didn't get out of the oil. I've had success with a standard vacuum chamber with my heat pad set to 110 degrees for 48 hours. What I need to figure out is the distillation part. I've made 4-5 batches now and it's not consistent. I've been doing more reading and I believe it's because I'm not controlling the steam correctly so I'm steaming the cannabis too fast and only yielding maybe 6-8% if I'm lucky.

I'll be making another batch tomorrow, this time I'll be using lemon/lime rinds to get oil and flavor the hash oil.

WPCollective

WPCollective

Attached is some rosin (kief pressed with heat) - Solventless wax/shatter

Also attached is the hash oil I made with fractal distillation.

Freshpressrosin
IMG 1609
IMG 1618
IMG 1620
IMG 1678
Top Bottom