Clockworx dry/cure method (step by step)

• Thread starter clockworx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
clockworx

clockworx

Just as a note to everyone kinda new to this. Don't be fooled by all the over hyped curing bs... Just sloooow dry and use the bags a few times to pull that inside moisture out until the stem cracks correctly and jar those babies, done deal.. I can tell you that anyone growing for a period of time and a substantial amount of bud doesn't burp hundreds of jars hundreds of times.... It's a slow dry and into jars, done... If you have some head smoke that you really wanna smoothness to and a sweeter taste then just jar them sooner and have to deal with opening and closing the jar a bunch to extend the dry time. All curing is, an extended dry, that's it... The method I use gives dank a+ product, the longer they sit in the jars the smoother they get but that never happens...

K

kuz

Happy enough with my old cure (dry trim) method. But things change. Woke up yesterday about two hours before lighs on. chopped the plant. Trimmed and now hanging in the dark about 55 percent humidity.

P1015413
clockworx

clockworx

@kuz I'm here if you need to ask a question but I'm sure there is all the info you need..... Nice nugs

clockworx

clockworx

thanks clockworx. bagged them up this morning, feeling pretty crisp after only 3 days, 50-55% rh. The bag seems to be working, not so crisp tonight.
Yeah, if you having problems with drying 2 fast I would use the big paper bags, or just keep the plastic on more but remember to take them off and allow fresh air exchange every now and then. I don't know your exact environmental conditions so I will just say be mindful if you live in a mold prone area...

K

kuz

Its been five days and according to the stem bend test they should be going into the jar. I need to get some of those big paper bags. I might try putting some in a room where the rh stays over 60%, gets up to 70. Humidity has been 50-55% in the room, the whole time.

clockworx

clockworx

Its been five days and according to the stem bend test they should be going into the jar. I need to get some of those big paper bags. I might try putting some in a room where the rh stays over 60%, gets up to 70. Humidity has been 50-55% in the room, the whole time.
Better to lower temp than raise humidity too high, that's just askin for a white fuzz takeover.

K

kuz

ya, think I can keep the rh around 60 in there. and the temps below 70. dog got me up again, it wont chase down the bears, just sit and bark at them, smart dog.

clockworx

clockworx

ya, think I can keep the rh around 60 in there. and the temps below 70. dog got me up again, it wont chase down the bears, just sit and bark at them, smart dog.
Showem how its done. Grab ur Rambo knives and hop on the bear Dallas cowboy style...walk back like a 60s pimp in ur new bear coat and back slap that pup.. You can give him the " pull ur weight" speech in the morning.

K

kuz

lol. Bear usually has run off before the dog smell it. but she will still bark for 30 minutes.

K

kuz

At 50% rh I need to bag them up on day three, trying that now. Also have some hanging at 70% rh, going to leave them there a couple of days and move into the other room. Paper bags will slow it down more than plastic? seems like plastic would hold in more moisture. But I think clockworxs is speaking from experience. Maybe that explains why the cardboard beer flats are so popular, some guys never hang, wet trim and leave the stems in the flats for a couple of days and then into buckets that get burped for a couple of days, then jarred.

dorjewright

dorjewright

Well a long slow dry didn't work for me ended up with mold for the first time in a bunch of years. I think it started with the last sweat with the plastic bags after about 10 or 12 days. A little white coating/fuz on the stems. An earlier full trim might have prevented; but I like to do the final trim dry but before jarring to cure. I live on the N Ca. coast and the humidity is usually between 70 and 100% in the SUmmer. Normally I use a dehumidifier to lower humidity to 50/55%but that raises the drying temps into the mid 70s. So usually within 5 days the big branches are ready to cut into small branches (small stems are still bending but crimp) and into paper bags for another 5 days then trimmed and into jars with an hygrometer (I might sweat the paper bags with a plastic bag). I keep the humidity down to 50 or so in the room for burping and bring the internal humidity down to 62% and let the bud cure for a month or two at 62% then dry to -60% for long term storage in the frig. Never had trouble with quality, smell, taste or mold. I did find clockworx's diagram very useful though to check the accuracy of the hygrometer readings.

Califlower

Califlower

In step 5 where you put the plastic bags over the branches, then let them dry out... So, the buds actually start to feel drier through the bag once bagged, not wetter? I dry my stuff in a garage, but unfortunately the temps range from 65-75, but sometimes it almost gets up to 80 during the day. The rH is around 55-65% in the room, so not too bad there. I found when my smaller stems still bend, the outside of the buds are dry. Then if I put them in a jar with a hygrometer the jar stabilizes around 70-75% rH. At this point can I leave it for 8 hours then put them in a shoe box or paper bag to dry more? Then back in the jar? The problem with the garage is if I let the stems get to the cracking point the buds are then completely dried. If I jar them at this point the rH is 55-65% depending. This takes only 3-4 days. So perhaps the big plastic bags will help slow them down. Instead I take them down when a little dry then put cut branches in paper bags until they dry a little more and I have time to trim.

ByrneBurnham

ByrneBurnham

Cee Dub ! ! ! ! ! I guess a diff' way to write CW.....aka Clockworx.....

your method (which I chose above my own "old" method) is SPOT ON ! ! Thanks for even posting it as I tend to see a LOT of "information hoarders" when it comes to knowing HOW to improve a common product but choose to stay "silent" or keep it to themselves......
I am ecstatic that we have a fellow farmer willing to share what I am seeing is the best way to dry and cure our buds. I havent found (not that I was looking either) anything bozo about this method - quite the opposite actually. Thanks for helping all of us that share interest in this fine flower have a better end product ! ! ! True Hustler yo' ! ! !

clockworx

clockworx

In step 5 where you put the plastic bags over the branches, then let them dry out... So, the buds actually start to feel drier through the bag once bagged, not wetter? I dry my stuff in a garage, but unfortunately the temps range from 65-75, but sometimes it almost gets up to 80 during the day. The rH is around 55-65% in the room, so not too bad there. I found when my smaller stems still bend, the outside of the buds are dry. Then if I put them in a jar with a hygrometer the jar stabilizes around 70-75% rH. At this point can I leave it for 8 hours then put them in a shoe box or paper bag to dry more? Then back in the jar? The problem with the garage is if I let the stems get to the cracking point the buds are then completely dried. If I jar them at this point the rH is 55-65% depending. This takes only 3-4 days. So perhaps the big plastic bags will help slow them down. Instead I take them down when a little dry then put cut branches in paper bags until they dry a little more and I have time to trim.
Yes they get wetter with the bags on... That was just a typo but it was obvious and the post was already set in stone by the time I caught it.... Sorry

clockworx

clockworx

@ByrneBurnham I'm happy it worked out for you, it is definitely still my favorite way to get great product without the hassle of tons of jars and burping... It seems like you followed the directions correctly, nice!! There are a bunch of us on here that share a ton of good info, but like anywhere you gotta meet the right people... Not many of us go out of our way to teach because you always seem to get the clown that wants to test your chin when they should be saying thank you. Fortunately this site has very few of those kind around....

F

FooDoo

Awesome thread. I've always cut the plant as a whole, would hang it, it would usually get way to dry by the time I can trim 16 and I'm left with harsh meds that need to be remoistened .

I just harvested 4 days ago and this time hung lines, took individual branches to hang, and removed fan leaves.

So far I like this method SO much more. I can't chime in on flavor and smell yet, but I'll check back in once I know.

I'm currently at 69-71 on temp and 43% RH. Its winter and a basement so I'm pretty stoked I'm even anywhere near those "ideal" ranges.

I think I'll group the flowers together soon and then slide bags over. They are slightly crispy on the outside already but I figured "better safe than sorry" in this scenario means better more dry than not enough. I don't want to make my meds get that musty moisture smell

clockworx

clockworx

Awesome thread. I've always cut the plant as a whole, would hang it, it would usually get way to dry by the time I can trim 16 and I'm left with harsh meds that need to be remoistened .

I just harvested 4 days ago and this time hung lines, took individual branches to hang, and removed fan leaves.

So far I like this method SO much more. I can't chime in on flavor and smell yet, but I'll check back in once I know.

I'm currently at 69-71 on temp and 43% RH. Its winter and a basement so I'm pretty stoked I'm even anywhere near those "ideal" ranges.

I think I'll group the flowers together soon and then slide bags over. They are slightly crispy on the outside already but I figured "better safe than sorry" in this scenario means better more dry than not enough. I don't want to make my meds get that musty moisture smell
Yep just pull those bags over and let them pull out that moisture ... When the bags are off make sure you have air in the room moving to avoid any mold... Basements are dank but the moving air will solve that problem...you will have a much better product this time!!! Good luck

F

FooDoo

It only takes about 15 minutes with the bags being off before the flowers are crispy again..however the stems are still lime green and wet, so I then put the bags back over . I'm always tempted to snip them off into jars but I keep holding out .

IMG 20141226 231948830

clockworx

clockworx

It only takes about 15 minutes with the bags being off before the flowers are crispy again..however the stems are still lime green and wet, so I then put the bags back over . I'm always tempted to snip them off into jars but I keep holding out .

View attachment 470049
Your doing perfect,,, fight that feeling to snip early, the buds will reward you when your done.... If you cut them off now your just gonna end up with sog buds in a jar.... Snip them off when they are finished and you will be happy and the buds will have a great shape, after you jar them the smell will come rite out.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom