Clone Trouble

• Thread starter jenna haze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

Elite Nugs

I've used purified water (RO, Bottled and Distilled) and tap water seems to give me the best results when it comes to cloning.

The other thing I left out, is to cut the leaves in half. Cutting the leaves in half reduces leaf area that the plant needs to keep cool. Therefor reducing transpiration rates and will greatly increase the chances of a clone rooting and surviving.

P

Pockets

i personally use a diy aerocloner for bulk but before that i also had problems until i figured i kept it simple. if your in dire need for a cut put a few in a cup with water and keep it in indirect light(too much light will have it grow foliage and waste energy, you dont want that). you can use rooting powder or gel just make sure you change the water every 2 days and do not reapply rooting hormone when changing water! in a week and a half you should see roots.

btw you can do this while your experimenting with a more efficient way and you wont be two steps back if all else fails.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

here is the tried and true method to get nearly 100% success. First off, don't use tap, either R.O. or store bought water. Get yourself some Grodan cubes (the ones that come 45 to a pack are a perfect size), clonex gel and clonex rooting solution, razor sharp scissors, clone tray with dome, florescent light, rubbing alcohol, a big bowl to soak cubes, and a cup to have water in. In the big bowl, have water with Clonex solution mixed in to soak cubes (Clonex is 2 teaspoons per quart, so 8 teaspoons per gallon). Soak cubes in solution, then squeeze excess water out. The cubes should have some water in them (dont squeeze them out too much). Put cubes in tray.

Now take cuttings from strong mother plants with strong branches. Cut about 3-4 nodes down from the tip. Quickly remove excess foilage aside from the top 2 or 3 leaves/nodes. immediately put the cut end into water and recut the end under water at a 45 degree angle. This will ensure there is no air bubble in the stem which will cause the cut to die. After cutting end under water, immediately remove and dip into clonex gel. Have a little bit of gel in a shot glass so you don't contaminate the whole bottle. After dipping put in cube and repeat the process. Once you have taken your cuttings, spray the inside of the dome with water and put it on (i keep the vents closed, some people say leave them open, but i find the cubes dry out too quickly if you do that). I then put the dome under a compact flourescent in a small hut. The hut stays warm from the flourescent so i never use a heating mat. you want the cuts to stay around 80 degrees. too cold they dont root, too hot they rot and die. if you use a mat, make sure to use a regulator for it cause the mats get too hot on their own and will surely kill your cuts. I agree with the guy 2 posts above that said that the flourescent creates the exact amount of heat needed, so I say skip the mat. Keep the clones misted, though I only mist the first time. I never take the dome off until about a week later when they have rooted, though some people will say to burp the dome daily. It's up to you, but just check on them daily to ensure the dome is still humid inside. You should get 100% results if you follow these directions to the T.

oh, and may i add that if you follow this, you can skip ph-ing the water. I dont own a ph meter and never will. It's not necessary unless you are growing in hydro or aero. Just make sure to use store bought or R.O. water, No Tap!!!!!

I've tryed the 8 tsp. Per gallon & I checked the ppm & it was 1200 ppm that shit freaked me out so I didn't use that mix.. I only use 1tsp per gallon & that mix is 350 ppm I felt a Lil safer using a lower amount.. 1200 scared the shit out of me.. I'm glad it works 4 u tho.. I'm juss 2 chicken 2 feed my babies that high of a ppm

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
you should never squeeze rockwool

it crushes the air pockets

shake the excess water from the cubes

P

Pockets

yup, make a cage with your fingers, not pressing on the cubes as you hold them. then with 3-4 snaps of your wrist, the water content should be good, feel the weight and try to reproduce it.

p.s.
ive found that when holding them you should have them with the hole down so that your snapping the water out the top so when you turn it right side up to put the cutting the water will distribute itself more evenly from the top to the bottom as it sits and wont have a wetter bottom half.

J

justblazen

Active Farmer
Do u guys know of a good powder or gel that prevents mildew? I heard u could find them at nurseries....

E

Elite Nugs

here is the tried and true method to get nearly 100% success. First off, don't use tap, either R.O. or store bought water. Get yourself some Grodan cubes (the ones that come 45 to a pack are a perfect size), clonex gel and clonex rooting solution, razor sharp scissors, clone tray with dome, florescent light, rubbing alcohol, a big bowl to soak cubes, and a cup to have water in. In the big bowl, have water with Clonex solution mixed in to soak cubes (Clonex is 2 teaspoons per quart, so 8 teaspoons per gallon). Soak cubes in solution, then squeeze excess water out. The cubes should have some water in them (dont squeeze them out too much). Put cubes in tray.

Now take cuttings from strong mother plants with strong branches. Cut about 3-4 nodes down from the tip. Quickly remove excess foilage aside from the top 2 or 3 leaves/nodes. immediately put the cut end into water and recut the end under water at a 45 degree angle. This will ensure there is no air bubble in the stem which will cause the cut to die. After cutting end under water, immediately remove and dip into clonex gel. Have a little bit of gel in a shot glass so you don't contaminate the whole bottle. After dipping put in cube and repeat the process. Once you have taken your cuttings, spray the inside of the dome with water and put it on (i keep the vents closed, some people say leave them open, but i find the cubes dry out too quickly if you do that). I then put the dome under a compact flourescent in a small hut. The hut stays warm from the flourescent so i never use a heating mat. you want the cuts to stay around 80 degrees. too cold they dont root, too hot they rot and die. if you use a mat, make sure to use a regulator for it cause the mats get too hot on their own and will surely kill your cuts. I agree with the guy 2 posts above that said that the flourescent creates the exact amount of heat needed, so I say skip the mat. Keep the clones misted, though I only mist the first time. I never take the dome off until about a week later when they have rooted, though some people will say to burp the dome daily. It's up to you, but just check on them daily to ensure the dome is still humid inside. You should get 100% results if you follow these directions to the T.

oh, and may i add that if you follow this, you can skip ph-ing the water. I dont own a ph meter and never will. It's not necessary unless you are growing in hydro or aero. Just make sure to use store bought or R.O. water, No Tap!!!!!

I use to take clones under water when I first started growing. I later found that this step was unnecessary. All you ended up with differently was a big wet mess, where ever you took the clones at. As long as you move at a decent pace its rare to get an actual embolism that goes so far up the stem that it completely blocks the flow of water and nutrients. Your clones do get a nice little bath though... so thats a plus.

Im curious why you say no tap water?? Im the complete opposite. I say no purified or RO water for cloning. And I dont know what nutrients you use, but if you dont have a PH meter and still have healthy plants, then you've been straight out lucky. Maybe the store water that you buy is around 6.5 ph and the nutes that you use dont drop or raise your PH any. Because I use RO water and after mixing my nutrients the ph drops to the 5 range, so I have to add PH up to get to the correct ph for watering my soil plants. If I didnt have a PH meter my soil plants would be in bad shape. No matter what you grow in... a PH meter is you main tool. I'll use a PPM meter occasionally, but after you've mixed the same thing a hundred times, you have a pretty good idea where the PPM is gonna be. PH changes and drifts. I have this organic bloom fertilizer that drops my PH all the way down to the 2 range. If I watered my plants with that, the acidicness of it will tear my plants up.

E

Elite Nugs

Yup... shouldnt let them soak in water for too long either. They become soggy and lose those air pockets that way too. I let some soak overnight one time... when I scooped them out the next day they felt all mushy. Not a good idea. No longer then an hour.

E

Elite Nugs

Do u guys know of a good powder or gel that prevents mildew? I heard u could find them at nurseries....

I think a lot of them have stuff in them that are supposed to prevent that. Im not 100% sure, but pretty sure. I read it on the back of one of the labels, or looked up an ingredient on one of them.

If your getting mildew, then your probably leaving your dome on for too long, or not opening your vents soon enough. I've only gotten mold once and that because I left the dome on too long and kept it too wet in there.

O

Organicyumyum

tap water is cool if you know the amount of dissolved solids and ph. but if you dont want to check those store bought is best. just because your ph is cool doesnt mean your ppm's are cool. i used tap water years ago in an area with extremely hard water, and even though my ph was on point it killed my clones, which is why i just use filtered or store bought mountain water. as far as the two teas. per gallon, i havent checked the ppm, though ive been doing this for years and rarely loose a clone, no ph meter and i use the two teas. per quart. i gently squeeze my rockwool, though i didnt know about that, so thanks for the advice. on the other hand ive been doing it this way for years and have never had a problem. i always get extremely healthy clones that root in 7-10 days. anyway, im sure people all have their method, but i can attest to getting nearly 100% and very healthy clones every time doing it this way.

E

Elite Nugs

tap water is cool if you know the amount of dissolved solids and ph. but if you dont want to check those store bought is best. just because your ph is cool doesnt mean your ppm's are cool. i used tap water years ago in an area with extremely hard water, and even though my ph was on point it killed my clones, which is why i just use filtered or store bought mountain water. as far as the two teas. per gallon, i havent checked the ppm, though ive been doing this for years and rarely loose a clone, no ph meter and i use the two teas. per quart. i gently squeeze my rockwool, though i didnt know about that, so thanks for the advice. on the other hand ive been doing it this way for years and have never had a problem. i always get extremely healthy clones that root in 7-10 days. anyway, im sure people all have their method, but i can attest to getting nearly 100% and very healthy clones every time doing it this way.

In my opinion, even hard water is okay for clones. Hard water becomes a problem once you start mixing in fertilizers. If your water has tons of calcium in it, then your nutrients add more, you'll most likely get a magnesium lockout from having too much calcium. To me, thats the only time its bad. I use to mix half tap and have RO water and things looked better then what they did with just RO water. Now I run beneficials, so tap water is out of the question for me. But for clones, I think tap water works much better then purified. For instances... an EZ-Cloner, or home made aero cloner. Try filling that up with RO water and see if your clones root, and if they do, how long it takes. Then try tap water, and they root 5 times faster, and are much healthier. The instructions that come with the EZ-Cloner even tell you to stick with tap water. I've grown in about 4-5 different water districts and the ppm and dissolved solids are all a little different, but the tap water always seems to work the best. For me that is.

M

mr.stankydank

same problem not rooting

I actually had the same problem when using a tired mother, after about two years in a hydrofarm bubbler bucket , the kush strain i had had genetic drift , lost potentcy, and clones would not root ,after 10 days in ez clocner, they would start to turn yellow deyhydrate and get crispy, 99 percentfailure rate. 2after batches , with failure , i tried with rockwool and wasnt any better. whatever 1 percent rooted,was not the plant i had learned to love.. i had this cut for like 6 years brought up from master kush sfv to bayarea , finally had to say goodbye,because it turned to shit.....moral of story , start new moms every 6 months, because they take at least 5 months to get big enough for sea of green method......has this happened to anybody..... oh yea get a heatmat with thermostat ,,its important to keep root zone at least 75 to 82 degrees ,speeds up biological process, acts like incubator with dome, will root a lot faster ,sometimes even half the time....didnt mean to hijack thread...::banana1sv6:

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
look here for a good thread on rooting.

Kingdavan915

Kingdavan915

I have tried many diff ways rock wool, rapid rooters, DWC, soil still 0% results.
I have had slot of issue in the past but now I've been taking rookwool cubes and I put the cutting in them use my own container that twist and lock spray with water and set on heating pad in 15 days my roots are to the bottom Atleast 3 inches out
I have tried many diff ways rock wool, rapid rooters, DWC, soil still 0% results.

CBDEMON

CBDEMON

Please, look at the date of the original post. This is 7 years old, they aren't going to reply.
G1351541955633443871

Top Bottom