Cloning - dome or no dome??

• Thread starter l0g1c4l
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

DOME OR NO DOME?

• Total voters
L

l0g1c4l

Good day farmers...I was curious as to how many farmers use domes when cloning. I always have and wonder if I'm encouraging a weaker plant? I've seen many farmers clone without a dome, is the humidity really that unimportant at this stage?

Lookin forward to your opinions...:fighting0003:

M

Malachi

Dome, no brainer, when cuts are taken they no longer have roots to absorb water so they use their leaves and get their nurishment via foliar. Thats why high humidity is important with cloning. I can clone faster in rapid rooter plugs with a dome them a clone machine with no dome.

L

l0g1c4l

I totally agree with Malachi on that...but than again I see so many farmers do it without a dome, I would think the success rate would drop and rooting time would be lengthened with the loss of humidity, but if thats the case why do they do it?!

S

S. Plisskin

Sometimes if you live in a humid area or are in the middle of a rainy season - a dome helps promote fungus if you aren't careful.

That being said I used to do it without a dome and it would take 2 -3 weeks. I just used the dome for 8 days straight and got roots faster than ever before. Now maybe Alien dog roots super fast, but I doubt it. I think it was all dome.

Reactions: Ina
M

MASSES 420KING

unless you have a humidifier next to your clones its time to dome

D

dican01

i have gotten must better and faster results using a dome.

Y

YoungDro

I dont use domes and get great results, get a heat mat for every rapid rooter tray, use root excellurator and ph 5.7.-- roots in 5 days thrivin, use superthrive too.
I want to try stim root 5000, I just got KLN which is workin good suppose to be like the stim root

K

koolace

I dont use a dome. I have a home made cloner out of a rubbermaid and i use that to start seeds and clones. Works like a champ..

O

OneLuv

Premium Member
Supporter
With no roots, only way for girls to get what they need until they root is thru the leaves.. Seems like a dome would be a must.At least for the first week. That's how I see it at least. Interested to read how successful people not using a dome are.

E

easytimer

Definitely a dome. Unless you live in some sort of rain forest type environment.

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

I like the ice cube tray using vermiculite shown by justanotherbozo I'd seen this at another sight but hadn't tried it till this last year and got great results. Very low-tech ,definitely in my price range. You don't need a dome but you can use one. So I'm checking no dome this method. I get close to 100% 45 - 50 of 54 . Peace

P

paulycali

I cut them and cut again, set them in water, dip them in solution and place in 1 inch cubes. Then i lightly spray the clones and the inside of the dome as well. Place them in tray, cover them with dome and walla rooted clones rockin and ready in 14 days or less

M

MASSES 420KING

With no roots, only way for girls to get what they need until they root is thru the leaves.. Seems like a dome would be a must.At least for the first week. That's how I see it at least. Interested to read how successful people not using a dome are.

i have gone with out the dome in the past and i had clones but the success rate for survival was lacking to say the least out of 30 clones 13-15 made it on average and i did that for years taking mad extras just to make sure i would have enough now i switched a couple years back and only take a couple extras cause with the dome i have like a 90-95% THRIVING success rate
:420:king

Giddeon

Giddeon

For me it depends on the cloning method if I'm using rockwool, peat pellet, or Rapid Rooters I'll use a dome. When I stick clones in the EZ Cloner I have no dome and amazing results.

L

Lost

DOWN WITH THE DOME!!! Survival of the fittest!!

Sure, drugs kill brain cells, but only the weak ones!! HA ha ha!!

Answer 1
Backwardsgunpic
F

farmerjohn

I fall into the middle of this debate & here's why. I do dome, but I also remove the clones that survive after 8 days to hasten the rooting process & strengthen the plants. They can sit in the veg room with indirect light for a day, then slowly get exposed to more light until they are right under them @ 14 days. Or a sunny windowsill works great. Or the big ass halide in the sky, for that matter, as long as you keep them partially shaded for a few days b4 giving them full sun. You'll know whether or not they are rooting very quickly. Non rooters will give up the ghost quickly. I do not mist the leaves unless they show signs of stem wilting, but make sure the peat does not dry out @ any time. 14 days is common to have roots showing out of the pellets. Some do take longer. I have a metal frame covered in clear vinyl with a zippered front that is totally open on the bottom for superior air circulation, but not vented @ the top to keep the humidity higher than the surrounding room, which tends to be 55-60%. I find this is important since enclosures with less air circ can promote mold. I use peat pellets & Olivia's cloning gel.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I haven't used the domes in... I don't know how long. I'd put up pix of my veg-table-box-thing, but the farm puts their stamp on it. So far I have the best success using coco w/lots of perlite and worm castings, and if I'm using Roots Excellurator then no cloning hormones are necessary (this conclusion after a side-by-side test). <shrug>

I took a buncha cuts the week before I left for Puerto Rico, I've lost three White cuts and that's it. And that's with my husband taking care of them! Three out of 18, not so great but not so bad, either, I always have problems with The White taking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom