CO2 v.s Butane Extraction

• Thread starter Mr_Marley_Jim
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Graywolf

Graywolf

Okay, to set the record straight, Butane extraction ALWAYS leaves a great deal of impurities unless done using very expensive vacuum purge systems. The ONLY reason anyone would think they're getting more 'high' on the butane extracts is because butane itself is enough to get you high, and butane, though deadly, is more addictive than marijuana alone. If you continue to smoke impure extracts, such as butane ones, you will invariably develop serious health problems, so I suggest that you all consider changing products and doing more research before putting things into your lungs.

CO2 extraction is clean, though, and non-harmful.... Assuming the process used is supercritical. Keep in mind, most dispensaries aren't able to afford the minimum price of these machines though, so what they're calling CO2 extract, is likely subcritically made and very impure.

Earwax btw, is usually made of non-purged butane extract, and is imo the most deadly substance you can get from a dispensary due to its near overdose of butane levels. SMOKE SMART.

Define a great deal of impurities, what they are, and where they come from?

I also disagree, because I can easily purge butane to below any levels of concern using simple heat and air flow.

The ONLY reason anyone would think they're getting more 'high' on the butane extracts is because butane itself is enough to get you high, and butane, though deadly, is more addictive than marijuana alone.

What an interesting theory! Butane doesn't get you high, it just replaces oxygen as a simple asphyxiate.

If you continue to smoke impure extracts, such as butane ones, you will invariably develop serious health problems, so I suggest that you all consider changing products and doing more research before putting things into your lungs.

Perhaps you might do more research yourself bro, starting with what you think is in butane.

CO2 extraction is clean, though, and non-harmful.... Assuming the process used is supercritical. Keep in mind, most dispensaries aren't able to afford the minimum price of these machines though, so what they're calling CO2 extract, is likely subcritically made and very impure.

CO2 extracts have the potential to be great, as does BHO, but the devil is in the details. Do either of them wrong, and you don't have a good product.

Earwax btw, is usually made of non-purged butane extract, and is imo the most deadly substance you can get from a dispensary due to its near overdose of butane levels. SMOKE SMART.[/quote]

Or heavily vacuumed BHO cookies.

You apparently missed the part on the n-Butane MSDS sheets saying that the permissible exposure limit is 800 ppm for 8 hours, and how much butane that is, to make your near overdose statement.

ACGIH TLV (United States, 2/2010).

TWA: 1000 ppm 8 hour(s).

NIOSH REL (United States, 6/2009).

TWA: 1900 mg/mÂł 10 hour(s).

TWA: 800 ppm 10 hour(s).

OSHA PEL 1989 (United States, 3/1989).

TWA: 1900 mg/mÂł 8 hour(s).

TWA: 800 ppm 8 hour(s).

Landfishd

Landfishd

Our butane extraction and recovery system doesn't do a good job of keeping material frozen, so we've found that the next best thing is to extract from dried material after hanging until the small stems snap, which takes about five days, to a week, depending on our local weather. That retains more of the lighter mono and Sequiterpenes, which give it the floral flavor.

I agree, some of the best tasting oils, and best looking in terms of color and transparency, have been from trim that was very fresh still. Dried, but only for a couple days. The yield has been a little lower though. I've never tried fresh frozen material except for in a flask sitting in a butane bath. I got really poor yields though. I need to figure out how to get that to work better because I like using a flask rather than running a tube.

squiggly

squiggly

If you don't want to believe me, that's fine, but being rude just makes you look like a simpleton ;)

BTW, it's a notice to help people avoid getting cancer from butane methods, if you don't like it, then smoke butane and die young. Honestly the world would be better off without you.

Instead of going through each point of what you said and denouncing it I'll just say the following:

I'm a chemist, and everything that you said is complete bullshit.

A

Ariako

Yeah, when you concentrate butane and SMOKE it, it's way less harmless than inhaling it lol. You should read some of the thing you're posting before you do it. Also OMG you're a chemist? Where'd you go to school? What kind of degree do you have? Where do you teach? I'd love to know more about your infinite knowledge of chemistry. And about it being bullshit, you only say that because you were taught to only focus on newer AMERICAN studies when it comes to this. Butane has been studied since long before this country was founded, and turning a blind eye to those points founded over a hundred years ago doesn't do your field any service. Also turning your eyes away from a study because it was performed on living humans is another way to introduce such idiocies.

Four people hospitalized, two with a collapsed lungs. The only thing they smoked was earwax. End of discussion.

(It's come quickly to my attention that you are mostly just amateurs to the field. When you need the advice of a real pro, you can not find me anywhere online because I'm too busy growing 100 pounds a month. If you need me though, look up huge warehouses that make you look bad by comparison ;))

Glab120

Glab120

Yeah, when you concentrate butane and SMOKE it, it's way less harmless than inhaling it lol. You should read some of the thing you're posting before you do it. Also OMG you're a chemist? Where'd you go to school? What kind of degree do you have? Where do you teach? I'd love to know more about your infinite knowledge of chemistry. And about it being bullshit, you only say that because you were taught to only focus on newer AMERICAN studies when it comes to this. Butane has been studied since long before this country was founded, and turning a blind eye to those points founded over a hundred years ago doesn't do your field any service. Also turning your eyes away from a study because it was performed on living humans is another way to introduce such idiocies.

Four people hospitalized, two with a collapsed lungs. The only thing they smoked was earwax. End of discussion.

(It's come quickly to my attention that you are mostly just amateurs to the field. When you need the advice of a real pro, you can not find me anywhere online because I'm too busy growing 100 pounds a month. If you need me though, look up huge warehouses that make you look bad by comparison ;))

common guy four people... ive been smoking bho for couple years now alonge with alot of other people. weres the bodies? i bet all 4 of those people smoked a pack of cigarettes a day.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
it has come to my attention that you are mostly amateurs to the field.....are you fucking shitting me.. fell on my ass laughing at this dumb shit...

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I think their problem was they had too big of hoots. Probably hotknifes to boot. Back in highschool, I had some cherry oil that tasted like candy. It was thick and stringy and made from bud. My friend got some and I warned him about the potency, but being young and dumb he did some big rips on the knife. Literally hacked a lung. Coughed a whole in his lung. If you smother your lungs with enough smoke, the coughing is what'll get you everytime.

squiggly

squiggly

I graduated from Illinois State University magna cum laude with a B.S. in Chemistry and a B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (minors in physics, pharmaceutical sales, and mathematics)

I am currently working on a graduate degree with a specialization in organic chemistry (which is what you are discussing here--and to a certain extent physical chemistry). I am currently working on my thesis and have finished most of my credit requirements for the degree. I am planning to pursue a Ph.D.

I work for a flavor chemistry company, and I'll withhold the name to avoid giving away my location on the interwebs--which I think is fair enough.

On to the argument:

First of all, fuck you.

Second, I'm pretty sure you're Co2extractor, who was just banned from this site--because you have shit grammar just like he does. If that's the case, I'd like to point out that you can't fool me by learning where your enter button is and breaking your paragraphs up--you still sound like a 4th grader, you still argue the same way (say what you want to say, and talk mad shit about anyone who disagrees), you still are wrong about everything you say and don't know how to make a cogent chemical argument.

If you're not him, you're just like him and you'll be banned soon.

As for the chemistry:

Butane can be completely purged from any extract, providing the proper steps are followed. It is not a special magic chemical that acts differently from other short chain hydrocarbons. It can be removed in any number of ways.

Proper purging will do the trick (although there will be some residuals that a GC could pick up--but not something that would be capable of collapsing a lung, not if your life depended on it).

If that's not good enough for you, there are at least 2 additional ways to ensure you've gotten rid of the butane ENTIRELY.

This is something I'm tasked with doing almost every day at work, and in the research lab--as it is important to get clean spectra (ir, nmr, mass spec) which do not contain contaminants in order to do any type of publishing or careful analysis. This fact alone suggests that it is QUITE possible to do this. It's known ubiquitously to TRUE chemists, unlike yourself.

End of that day, you're bringing a noodle to a knife fight here dude--you're out of your league and you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Welcome to the farm.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Pictures are self explanatory>>>Here is some 1st place cup winning wax that I made<<<
>>>Quality like this can never be achieved with co2 extraction<<<

gtd

Waxing 012
Waxing 006
WAX2 006
Waxing 013
Waxing 008

squiggly

squiggly

Quality like this can never be achieved with co2 extraction

This is not strictly true. It's definitely possible to do as well or better than that with CO2.

However:

1. Its more expensive.
2. You need extensive knowledge of chemistry (in order to do it well)
and, the kicker.
3. It's not likely to be "better" except in the sense that specific molecules can be target for extraction.

Because oil has a taste/smell profile, and that is a good thing, CO2 having the ability to selective solvate isn't all that interesting--unless you want to isolate CBD or THC, and even then it will be prohibitively difficult to figure how exactly to do that.

End of the day butane is much easier, and produces a prodct on par with anything that would come out of a CO2 extractor.

Each extraction method has its pros and cons--its not proper to directly relate them to one another in any way but this as they are strictly NOT the same thing.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Squiggly can everclear or whatever is better alcohol be as good as BHO?

SCFSYNDICATE760

SCFSYNDICATE760

GW, you operate at a level of politeness and courtesy which i'm rarely able to achieve. You regularly treat even dumbshits with respect, bravo.
i know seriously...dudes a rock..i woulda already given a verbal rinsing..
oh wait i have with this idiota already...

lol @ collapsed lung...
its from coughing shit-for-brains

nice stuff green thumb! where ur teck bra!!!lol

SCFSYNDICATE760

SCFSYNDICATE760

yo greenthumb, whats all that made from? tech?

dwright..
yes if u use the right material and do it properly it can be as good

RoidsRus

RoidsRus

Do any of you farmers have the 411 on CO2 extraction?

I've heard/read that the process is very similar to butane, but supposed to be a cleaner alternative...

However, I can't seem to find a substantiating case study...

Until proven otherwise I'm stickin with my 5x filtered Vector and Okief Tubes...

:banana1sv6:
I'm sure it can be better, but the yields are significantly different.... THC in soluble in butane, but not co2 ( which is why people that have co2 hash oil tax out the ass) Personally I would prefer to vacuum purge the shit to near zero impurities, & have more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom