CO2 v.s Butane Extraction

• Thread starter Mr_Marley_Jim
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

yumeyashaful

so if I have a tank of c02 and an extractor i use for BHO;and I make an adapter so I can blast the c02 instead of the tane what is going to happen?
No
The concept behind co2 extraction is much different. The CO2 is made to be a super critical fluid. A super critical fluid is not a liquid solid or gas. It is its own phase. Super critical fluids are the best solvents there are. In order for CO2 to become a super critical fluid it must be pressurized to around 73 times atmospheric pressure.

Last edited:
Y

yumeyashaful

I'm sure it can be better, but the yields are significantly different.... THC in soluble in butane, but not co2 ( which is why people that have co2 hash oil tax out the ass) Personally I would prefer to vacuum purge the shit to near zero impurities, & have more.
CO2 is a much better solvent for thc than butane because it is a much smaller non polar molecule. the same process is used to decaffeinate coffee

Y

yumeyashaful

so if I have a tank of c02 and an extractor i use for BHO;and I make an adapter so I can blast the c02 instead of the tane what is going to happen?
Absolutely nothing
CO2 has to be a super critical fluid first. you would have to raise the pressure to 73 times atmospheric pressure

Y

yumeyashaful

It is out of a commercial SCF extraction unit. I hope to have some out of a DIY unit, but I have to build one first.

Perhaps in the interim CO2extractor has some DIY pictures to share.
I doubt it
The CO2 has to be pressurized to 73 times atmospheric pressure

Y

yumeyashaful

Yeah, when you concentrate butane and SMOKE it, it's way less harmless than inhaling it lol. You should read some of the thing you're posting before you do it. Also OMG you're a chemist? Where'd you go to school? What kind of degree do you have? Where do you teach? I'd love to know more about your infinite knowledge of chemistry. And about it being bullshit, you only say that because you were taught to only focus on newer AMERICAN studies when it comes to this. Butane has been studied since long before this country was founded, and turning a blind eye to those points founded over a hundred years ago doesn't do your field any service. Also turning your eyes away from a study because it was performed on living humans is another way to introduce such idiocies.

Four people hospitalized, two with a collapsed lungs. The only thing they smoked was earwax. End of discussion.

(It's come quickly to my attention that you are mostly just amateurs to the field. When you need the advice of a real pro, you can not find me anywhere online because I'm too busy growing 100 pounds a month. If you need me though, look up huge warehouses that make you look bad by comparison ;))
Honey child butane thats in wax would combust when it hits the red hot nail. (C4H10+O2+heat--->H2O +CO2).
They way it would most likely hurt you is by forming NO2 and CO. Which happens during any combustion reaction.

C

Charles Kim

Nothing, except for maybe making some dry ice. CO2 extraction requires that the C02 be at least liquid, if not super critical.
Does industry still want c02 extract? Seems like the pens are coming up big. Sorry for responding to a late post, looking to invest in a SFE C02 machine.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Does industry still want c02 extract? Seems like the pens are coming up big. Sorry for responding to a late post, looking to invest in a SFE C02 machine.

SCFE CO2 and pens appear made for one another, and the market is ostensibly not close to saturation yet.

What I've noted, regardless of the process, is that a reliable source of prime material makes or breaks an operation, because you can't turn chicken manure into chicken salad. Even with material agreements and contracts in place, shit happens, things change, and material ages.

RochesterCo2

RochesterCo2

I'm sure it can be better, but the yields are significantly different.... THC in soluble in butane, but not co2 ( which is why people that have co2 hash oil tax out the ass) Personally I would prefer to vacuum purge the shit to near zero impurities, & have more.

I have to disagree with the yields being different. I achieve on average 20% yields and higher with my apeks extraction system. Of course this all depends on the quality of your flower, extraction parameters, strain type and cannabinoid percentage of your starting material. But they should be relatively the same for both. The cool thing about CO2 though is you can really pin point what essential oils you want to extract unlike other conventional methods. For example I'm able to fraction out pure terpenes first, then my cannabinoids second without extracting any of the fats, lipids or waxes out. By doing so, I'm also able to make pure/clear CO2 shatter if my starting material hasn't been decarboxylated first. And if it has been, I'm able to make a clear and clean distillate looking material that's taken straight from the colection cup without any post refining. This requires very specific parameters for you temperature and pressure to achieve though.

Also THC is definitely soluble in CO2. That's how it's able to essentially get extracted in the first place. Only liquid or supercritical CO2 can act as a solvent. The other two phases (gas & solid) do not act as a solvent, but the gas penetrates through the material. That's why supercritical CO2 is able to extract twice as fast as subcritical because it takes on both phases of gas and liquid at the same time, thus passing through the material with ease and dissolving it at the same time.

RochesterCo2

RochesterCo2

Here's some yield results I've been getting for this year in order from highest to lowest. I run my system at subcritical. And I find the quality of the finished product to be a lot higher quality and more terpy because the high pressures and temperatures of supercritical tend to demolish the terpenes and diminishes the full flavor profile of the strain. Also supercritical tends to have more fats and waxes + a less stable product than subcritical. It runs faster but the final product is a lot worse in my opinion. If you want to see some of my work, I'd love for you to checkout my instagram @RochesterCo2 for more details.

Strain Data
P

progeny-prodigy

can u tell us any specifics about the machine ur using? or the temp ur running at? i also make co2 oil and im just curious

RochesterCo2

RochesterCo2

can u tell us any specifics about the machine ur using? or the temp ur running at? i also make co2 oil and im just curious

Yes, I'm currently running an Apeks 2000 series, 5LD. I could tell you the temp, but my parameters are unimportant unless you're also running the same system with the same orifice in it as me. Every different kind of CO2 extraction system will have it's own unique parameters to abide by so it won't help if we're running different systems.

P

progeny-prodigy

i understand and im not looking for parameters for my machine im just curious. ive also wondered if others who do subcritical extractions ever use heat above the critical temperature but just keep the pressure below critical

RochesterCo2

RochesterCo2

i understand and im not looking for parameters for my machine im just curious. ive also wondered if others who do subcritical extractions ever use heat above the critical temperature but just keep the pressure below critical

Ahh, I gotcha. It depends on what I'm looking to extract or what strain I'm using. But I usually set it anywhere from 80° to 86°F. I do set it higher for terpenes with a low pressure. And I've ran the system before at 89°F with low pressure so it wasn't at supercritical, and got some pretty great oil. Had a lower yield, but got minimal fats and waxes from it.

P

progeny-prodigy

is there any way to tell how much co2 u flow thru the material in a given extraction? like if u weren't recycling the co2 how much tanks would u go thru in one of ur extractions?

RochesterCo2

RochesterCo2

is there any way to tell how much co2 u flow thru the material in a given extraction? like if u weren't recycling the co2 how much tanks would u go thru in one of ur extractions?

Honestly I'm not sure, since mine is a closed loop. Takes me a couple weeks to switch out tanks

S

schedule.1

I have to disagree with the yields being different. I achieve on average 20% yields and higher with my apeks extraction system. Of course this all depends on the quality of your flower, extraction parameters, strain type and cannabinoid percentage of your starting material. But they should be relatively the same for both. The cool thing about CO2 though is you can really pin point what essential oils you want to extract unlike other conventional methods. For example I'm able to fraction out pure terpenes first, then my cannabinoids second without extracting any of the fats, lipids or waxes out. By doing so, I'm also able to make pure/clear CO2 shatter if my starting material hasn't been decarboxylated first. And if it has been, I'm able to make a clear and clean distillate looking material that's taken straight from the colection cup without any post refining. This requires very specific parameters for you temperature and pressure to achieve though.

Also THC is definitely soluble in CO2. That's how it's able to essentially get extracted in the first place. Only liquid or supercritical CO2 can act as a solvent. The other two phases (gas & solid) do not act as a solvent, but the gas penetrates through the material. That's why supercritical CO2 is able to extract twice as fast as subcritical because it takes on both phases of gas and liquid at the same time, thus passing through the material with ease and dissolving it at the same time.
so you are saying that you are putting oil straight from the collection cup into carts with out any winterizing? How are your d9 thc percentages looking?

Top Bottom