Cob Lighting For A 4x8 Flowering Tent

• Thread starter h4ppyf4rmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Hi All,
Sorry if something like this has been posted before but my eyes are crossed from reading all the COB posts and getting even more confused then I was before...

I'm a new farmer and I'm vegging and flowering in the same 4x4 tent with a platinum p600 light over a 2 x 3 6-bucket rdwc system. I realize now that the turnaround time using only one tent is too long and when the light to closer to the plants for flowering it doesn't have the same coverage so I decided to start slowly investing into a veg only tent(using my current setup) and a 2x3 6-bucket flowering tent to shorten up the turnaround time and get better light coverage. I was thinking of using a 4x8 flowering tent for the added spread out room.

What I'm looking for is an optimal COBs setup (spacing and nominal CCT) for the 4 x 8 (32 sqft) area.

I would like to not use fans, I've looked at the square heatsinks from northern grow lights(currently sold out). I don't mind spending a little extra for high quality parts if they are more energy efficient or lasts longer. I'll probably just use HomeDepot aluminum L-channel stock for the frames. I was thinking of multiple separate frames so I can individually adjust the height is needed.

so I'm looking for:

number of COBs needed to fill the area
number of drivers needed for the given number of COBs needed
Brand of COBs (I'm thinking Bridgelux here)
Brand of drivers (I'm thinking MeanWell here)
What nominal CCT should I use for just flowering
Do I need any other colors like red for flowering

What does everyone recommend?

I'm very handy so building this is not intimidating for me.

Thanks

sixstring

sixstring

If it was me setting up the tent i would use 32 cobs @ 35w per cob and cree 2700k and 3000k would be my color choices.it has been my best performing fixtures so far.and i have cree 3500k cobs in 50w ,62w , 75w vero in 38w and 52w in 3000k and citizen cobs @ 50w 3000k.i just feel like for my style growing the 2700k and 3000k cree work the best on 12 inch centers.
Def lots of choices out there now.cant overlook quantum boards either,good shit.those timber kits are not much over cost so pretty damn good value.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

ok, so looking at timber, they're basically selling theirs for $100 per led unit with the drivers i.e. their 4 unit 200w kit with CXB 3590 CREE leds for $400, now multiply that by 8 to make 32 units and holy crap ... $3200 That's a bit too much and I'll never get that by the Chief Financial Officer (my wife) };-)

Freshone

Freshone

ok, so looking at timber, they're basically selling theirs for $100 per led unit with the drivers i.e. their 4 unit 200w kit with CXB 3590 CREE leds for $400, now multiply that by 8 to make 32 units and holy crap ... $3200 That's a bit too much and I'll never get that by the Chief Financial Officer (my wife) };-)
That my friend is the buy in for LED at this time,You will get it back in a year or two in energy savings but its a steep curve at first.Dont overlook the CMH 315s as a little cheaper option(im paying 320 apiece right now),they still save energy and heat and as you can afford to you can stick an LED in here and there until you reach your goal.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

well, that's bummer, I guess I'll stick to my slow serial process of vegging and then blooming in the same tent for now. I'm in no position to be throwing that kind of money at lights. The reason I have one p600 instead of the recommended two for a 4x4 tent is because I could only afford one };-)... Right now, my girls are finishing up their 4th week of bloom and they have some nice frosty buds...

iKharon

iKharon

well, that's bummer, I guess I'll stick to my slow serial process of vegging and then blooming in the same tent for now. I'm in no position to be throwing that kind of money at lights. The reason I have one p600 instead of the recommended two for a 4x4 tent is because I could only afford one };-)... Right now, my girls are finishing up their 4th week of bloom and they have some nice frosty buds...
If you were willing to drop $1k in the first place, maybe consider 2 315w CMh's? That's the route I'm going. 2 315s with a kind 750 in the middle. (4x8 as well for flower)

iKharon

iKharon

Also dont overlook those new de 630w cmh,2 of those would rock a 4 x 8 tent for flower and they are the most efficient hid light right now.i think system eff is around 40% which is awesome and so is the spectrumz :)
Researching as we speak. Well, type. Brb. Lol

iKharon

iKharon

I think these can be had for around 575.00 at a few spots. So 1200.00 for a pair of awesomeness blowin up tha shizzle in tha 4 x 8 dizzle :)
I think these can be had for around 575.00 at a few spots. So 1200.00 for a pair of awesomeness blowin up tha shizzle in tha 4 x 8 dizzle :)
How does that beast stack up against the 315 you think?

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Also dont overlook those new de 630w cmh,2 of those would rock a 4 x 8 tent for flower and they are the most efficient hid light right now.i think system eff is around 40% which is awesome and so is the spectrumz :)

just to let you guys know, no matter what I do, it's going to be a little down the road after a save a little cash for a separate bloom room anyway. I think I can swallow $1200 to $1500 for lighting. I was kind of thinking if a scaled back a bit and get a 5x5 tent for blooming, only bloom 4 plants at a time with two p600, it would cost $1200. if the two 630w CMH would fill a 4x8 tent, I think I could work with that. is there a heat issue with the CMH lamps? I honestly don't know anything about the CMH fixtures. and how far off the plants do they need to be, tents are only 80" tall.

iKharon

iKharon

just to let you guys know, no matter what I do, it's going to be a little down the road after a save a little cash for a separate bloom room anyway. I think I can swallow $1200 to $1500 for lighting. I was kind of thinking if a scaled back a bit and get a 5x5 tent for blooming, only bloom 4 plants at a time with two p600, it would cost $1200. if the two 630w CMH would fill a 4x8 tent, I think I could work with that. is there a heat issue with the CMH lamps? I honestly don't know anything about the CMH fixtures. and how far off the plants do they need to be, tents are only 80" tall.
18" from canopy. Super efficient. You could easily do the 2 630s in 4x8

Top Bottom