Coco Feeding And Flushing Question Please Help

• Thread starter Lbgrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lbgrower

Lbgrower

I'll try to make it simple. By the way I'm new to coco. I do have a bit of growing experience.

My question is about container size and nutrient application. Also weather I should be doing feed feed flush or just feeding and flushing weekly?
Kind of a sencond part to this question is how to I check run off for ph and e.c?

So here is an example this may seem like a dumb question but please I'm unclear what to do

If I water with nutrients in a way of feed feed flush. This means I let the containers dry at the top 2 inches before my second nutrient application and also before my flush application?
They take two days do dry up.
1. Nute
2. still wet
3. Nute
4. Still wet
5.flush. <---- confused about what to use
6.still wet <---- worried they have no nutrients

When I feed I let 30% run off... should I allow run off on the day I flush? Would that be flushing all the nutrients? Also when I'm flushing I know I want to ph. I've heard I need to add some nutrients like 0.3 ec to make it effective for grabbing the built up salts. Is this the way to go?

Also just unclear about what I get from checking run off.

Example if I fed at 1.8 for first feed. And 2.0 for feed two.
First feed is at 1.8 ec and ph 5.8
Sencond feed is at 2.0 ec and ph 5.8

The run off I collected after I put in feed two was

Run off 1.6 ec and 6.5 ph

What does the run off really tell me? Does the 1.6 mean they only ate .2 I was assuming my run off would be higher than what I put in if I was letting the unused salts pass through that 30 run off? Also I appear to have an iron deficiency and I feel my ph is high possibly contributing to it. Should I go in with lower ph than 5.8 to attempt to lower the ph in my buckets?

Thank you for the help. I read threads this is my first ever post.

meltedhead

meltedhead

LBgrower,you should not treat coco like soil,don't let it dry out.If the coco drys salt builds up quick,if you are feeding every day with 10 to 15% run off you are purging the coco every time you feed.I have been using coco for about 18 years now and have never checked run off for ph/ec.I feed every day and when I run automated, I feed 3 times per light cycle, always with 5.8-6.0 ph and the ec that I want for the stage of growth my plants are in.I have no issues with my plants using this method.I use coco specific nuts with cal-mag and "drip clean" basically.there is a learning curve with the coco,after that just stay consistent with what you find works. I feed plain ph'd water for the last week, then hang to dry in the dark.Good luck,and don't over complicate it.

Lbgrower

Lbgrower

LBgrower,you should not treat coco like soil,don't let it dry out.If the coco drys salt builds up quick,if you are feeding every day with 10 to 15% run off you are purging the coco every time you feed.I have been using coco for about 18 years now and have never checked run off for ph/ec.I feed every day and when I run automated, I feed 3 times per light cycle, always with 5.8-6.0 ph and the ec that I want for the stage of growth my plants are in.I have no issues with my plants using this method.I use coco specific nuts with cal-mag and "drip clean" basically.there is a learning curve with the coco,after that just stay consistent with what you find works. I feed plain ph'd water for the last week, then hang to dry in the dark.Good luck,and don't over complicate it.

Thanks for the reply meltedhead.. and yes the curve is real :) may I ask what e.c you use for the different life stages? Or ppm 500 or 700?

meltedhead

meltedhead

I start veg at 500 and increase it weekly until their ready to flower at 900 usually, then after a week and a half flowering I lower it back to 700-750 and increase weekly until after I run my pk boost, usually in week 6-7, at which point I'm at 1200-1400 depending on the plants,then lower it back to 650 and run my shooting powder till the end,then 5-7 days of water.

Lbgrower

Lbgrower

I start veg at 500 and increase it weekly until their ready to flower at 900 usually, then after a week and a half flowering I lower it back to 700-750 and increase weekly until after I run my pk boost, usually in week 6-7, at which point I'm at 1200-1400 depending on the plants,then lower it back to 650 and run my shooting powder till the end,then 5-7 days of water.

That's great advice and direction! Thanks!! :)
May I ask you a question? What is the reasoning of lowering ppm one week and a half into flower? Also what ppm scale are you using?

meltedhead

meltedhead

I don't measure much anymore, I'm on auto pilot so to speak,but I have a truncheon meter and used the side that read 100,200,300 you get it.I don't lower my ec until week 7 or so, sorry for the confusion.like I said once you get it right there is no worries.I have been using the same nutes and mixing the same way for about 18 years, I don't have to think about it much anymore, good luck.

Lbgrower

Lbgrower

I don't measure much anymore, I'm on auto pilot so to speak,but I have a truncheon meter and used the side that read 100,200,300 you get it.I don't lower my ec until week 7 or so, sorry for the confusion.like I said once you get it right there is no worries.I have been using the same nutes and mixing the same way for about 18 years, I don't have to think about it much anymore, good luck.

Defiantly agree I've been hyper focused and no need to trip that much.

Do you know though if the numbers for ppm your suggesting have been converted from the 500 or 700 scale?

Thank you again bye the way :)

meltedhead

meltedhead

I don'the want to give wrong info but I think it was 500.I moved and can'take find the damn thing right now,

Lbgrower

Lbgrower

I don'the want to give wrong info but I think it was 500.I moved and can'take find the damn thing right now,
Loll no worries man I know I'm full of questions. What nutrient line that will probably confirm the conversion rate.

Interested too in trying them since you have been successful with them for so long.

Lbgrower

Lbgrower

IMG 9571

Lbgrower

Lbgrower

I use House & Gardens,

I'm using botanicare pro
Pro bloom
Hydroplex
Hydro guard
Silica
Rizo blast
Sweet
Cal mg plus

I actually got down to pulling out my plants viewing them under different light really helped calm me down..... I thought they were yellow af.

dork right it's a yellow light
IMG 9556

Anyway they stretched more than I expected.. that being said I'm really gun shy with nutrients.

I've been adding like half the p/k booster I have and half the root stim. Also I've been adjusting the base nute a bit under what's suggested. I was even adding the cal mg plus at like bare min...

Kind of a two part question?

1.Do I need to add all the stuff the way botanicare suggests or do I continue to cut it down a bit? Example me not adding all the PK booster will I regret it later? That's my fear is not letting the fruit develop

2.is EC or PPM even truly a good measure for me when I'm running this nute line? For instance the beneficials and the organics that are in the botanicare pro line don't they effect these readings?

Let me show you why I'm so confused... bc this chart shows way higher numbers.
IMG 9470

Based on this chart I should feed 2.0 ec at this stage. Is that safe with this nutrient formula?

bulb is @ 1000 wat HPS

maybe you could shed a little insight?

Actually found this too.. probably to confuse myself further :)

IMG 9571

So again please shed some much needed knowledge onto me.

13 days into flower... do I look on trac to you?
IMG 9557

Trentski420

Trentski420

I'm using botanicare pro
Pro bloom
Hydroplex
Hydro guard
Silica
Rizo blast
Sweet
Cal mg plus

I actually got down to pulling out my plants viewing them under different light really helped calm me down..... I thought they were yellow af.

dork right it's a yellow light
View attachment 679909

Anyway they stretched more than I expected.. that being said I'm really gun shy with nutrients.

I've been adding like half the p/k booster I have and half the root stim. Also I've been adjusting the base nute a bit under what's suggested. I was even adding the cal mg plus at like bare min...

Kind of a two part question?

1.Do I need to add all the stuff the way botanicare suggests or do I continue to cut it down a bit? Example me not adding all the PK booster will I regret it later? That's my fear is not letting the fruit develop

2.is EC or PPM even truly a good measure for me when I'm running this nute line? For instance the beneficials and the organics that are in the botanicare pro line don't they effect these readings?

Let me show you why I'm so confused... bc this chart shows way higher numbers.
View attachment 679911

Based on this chart I should feed 2.0 ec at this stage. Is that safe with this nutrient formula?

bulb is @ 1000 wat HPS

maybe you could shed a little insight?

Actually found this too.. probably to confuse myself further :)

View attachment 679910

So again please shed some much needed knowledge onto me.

13 days into flower... do I look on trac to you?
View attachment 679913

Fuck the manufacturers suggestions .. my girls got burned at 50% reccomended "GROTEK" (why do I nOt EVER hear of these guys? Supposed to be good) anyways start low and work your way up EVERYBODY will tell you this and take it from someOne who has ignored them .. but I'm ready to do it right the 3rd time.... and PS I'm losing flower density as we speak from OVERFEEDING... I used too but pk boost and possibly too early and now I'm left with fox tails.. so don't worry if your too low it's better than too heavy :)...
IMG 0877

Look at them goddamn donkey dicks.. oh well still a few I'm proud of in there hAs me confident going into my 3rd attempt... anyways I think coco specific nutrients are going to be where it's at for us coco growers... think I might try Canna

Lbgrower

Lbgrower

Fuck the manufacturers suggestions .. my girls got burned at 50% reccomended "GROTEK" (why do I nOt EVER hear of these guys? Supposed to be good) anyways start low and work your way up EVERYBODY will tell you this and take it from someOne who has ignored them .. but I'm ready to do it right the 3rd time.... and PS I'm losing flower density as we speak from OVERFEEDING... I used too but pk boost and possibly too early and now I'm left with fox tails.. so don't worry if your too low it's better than too heavy :)...
View attachment 679927
Look at them goddamn donkey dicks.. oh well still a few I'm proud of in there hAs me confident going into my 3rd attempt... anyways I think coco specific nutrients are going to be where it's at for us coco growers... think I might try Canna

What's the temp in your room at? Only time I've ever had a problem with foxtail

Trentski420

Trentski420

Everyone keeps saying that but it never gets over 80F and that's 2x checked with a IR thermometer gun to the tips

Samething happened my 1st attempt (this being my 2nd) however the first time it WAS too hot... lamp was too close ... AND I overfed (especially the pk boost)... I'll try to find the source where I got the info.

Trentski420

Trentski420

What temps exactly will cause the foxtailing ? Cause I just realized the tips will get up too 80-82F

Trentski420

Trentski420

Anyways I also had a coco flushing question.. regarding final pre-harvest flush ...Do you wait for containers to dry before flushing again or just keep hitting them daily even when still wet?

meltedhead

meltedhead

Lb grower it looks like you are on the right track, that plant looks pretty happy, like Trentsky420 said mix less than they recommend and watch the results, don't be afraid to use the pk, just remember sometimes less is more,just give the plant's what they need.Trentskys plants are rocking too by the way.

Top Bottom