Coco Grow.....help....me

• Thread starter Soulcalsd
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Soulcalsd

I think I'll start to increase as everything picks up after a week of proper watering. Gonna take it slow.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I think I'll start to increase as everything picks up after a week of proper watering. Gonna take it slow.
My veg feeds are 400-450 ppm. Flower feeds never over 550 ppm.
DSCN0911
DSCN0873

S

Soulcalsd

Lookin proper brother, Yea I like the idea of feeding light. Save money and no build up risk. Ty foe ur post bruv

S

Soulcalsd

What nutes? You DTW or drip? Does that change anything feeding one or the other in terms of strength?

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Here's something else to think about. You mention that they "perked up" when you let them dry out a little. This often leads to the idea that they're too soggy, overwatered, drowning... Often leading to reduced watering. roots dry out and get some air, plant perks up. Hooray. Or sometimes not. Usually, these "perk ups" are rather temporary, as allowing your coco to get too dry brings it's own set of issues.

Instead, it's more commonly effective to water more frequently to resolve these types of problems in coco. Coco is not soil, and can't be treated as such. It's a hydroponic medium through and through, and you're plants get everything they need, including oxygen, delivered by your nutrient solution. If a plant isn't developed enough for the pot, or isn't uptaking as quickly as it should, the moisture in your medium becomes depleted of oxygen. You can wait for the medium to dry enough for some fresh air to get to the roots, at which point you get that "perk up". You've also now got dried, mostly insoluble nutes left in your coco. The nutrient profile of the next feeding is shot to hell by this, as is the PH in the root zone. Now the plants getting watered again, but again it's screaming "WTF!?".

Or, you can just feed on a schedule (rather arbitrary), never allowing even the top to dry out, and avoid the above. My pump runs every 2 hours.

Someone else on this site said it best about coco:
"If you think it's dry, water it. If you think it's wet, water it".
I'll agree for the better part of your statement. But being I've been growing in coir for over 10 years now and growing these plants for over 45+ years there are many ways that coir can be used.

Here are plants grown in 9 liter pots of coir just being fed 64 ounces of nutrient feeds once a day, no run-off, no nutrient build-up problems. Most of your build-up problems happen from over feeding or a improper balance of your nutrient profile for your plants.
DSCN0826

Now I wouldn't recommend my style of growing in coir until yhe grower has had some experience growing in coir for awhile,
some shots of the same plants a week from finish
DSCN0872
DSCN0873

S

Soulcalsd

Very interesting , Yea that is for sure something to look at after some solid runs under my belt. So every bit of nutes would have to be absorbed or else it would throw off the next feed. A lower strength feed and knowledge of strain seems priority with a style like that. Not having runoff would be the tits. So much extra work .

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Have

Have you used Canna Nutes?
Yes, Used the canna coco a+b for one run. was not really impressed with it.
On another note I see you are using fabric pots. Not saying they don't work, but be prepared to go through twice the water for a whole cycle compared to plastic pots as you have 4 times more exposure to the air, which relates to at least double the evap rate of the coir so more chances of salt build-up.

S

Soulcalsd

On another note I see you are using fabric pots. Not saying they don't work, but be prepared to go through twice the water for a whole cycle compared to plastic pots as you have 4 times more exposure to the air, which relates to at least double the evap rate of the coir so more chances
On another note I see you are using fabric pots. Not saying they don't work, but be prepared to go through twice the water for a whole cycle compared to plastic pots as you have 4 times more exposure to the air, which relates to at least double the evap rate of the coir so more chances of salt build-up.
Would adding a top layer of coco chunks or something like that help in limiting evaporation?

S

Soulcalsd

If you are using a quality coir than oxygen exchange should not be a problem.
I meant using plastic vs fabric, didn't post that right. Anyways here is an update. Things are perking up some especially lower fans . Feeding everyday at 6ml each a and b canna. The top new growth is lighter than the rest. Still very dark with a dull blueish, green color and red/purple pestioles and stem. A lot of different symptoms, but I think most of if not all are just from inconsistent feeding practice.

Unit541

Unit541

I'll agree for the better part of your statement. But being I've been growing in coir for over 10 years now and growing these plants for over 45+ years there are many ways that coir can be used.

Here are plants grown in 9 liter pots of coir just being fed 64 ounces...

Hi there buddy. Those are great looking plants! You are awesome!

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I meant using plastic vs fabric, didn't post that right. Anyways here is an update. Things are perking up some especially lower fans . Feeding everyday at 6ml each a and b canna. The top new growth is lighter than the rest. Still very dark with a dull blueish, green color and red/purple pestioles and stem. A lot of different symptoms, but I think most of if not all are just from inconsistent feeding practice.
Looking better. I was just referring to the learning curve required between the use of fabric vs plastic pots as to watering frequency and amounts. My outdoor plants in 10 and 15 gallon fabric pots almost always require daily watering and they are in Ocean Forrest or a modified Super soil mix. If I was doing coir outdoors then I would expect to water multiple time in a day.

S

Soulcalsd

Looking better. I was just referring to the learning curve required between the use of fabric vs plastic pots as to watering frequency and amounts. My outdoor plants in 10 and 15 gallon fabric pots almost always require daily watering and they are in Ocean Forrest or a modified Super soil mix. If I was doing coir outdoors then I would expect to water multiple time in a day.
Yea I hear ya, now that I think back on my first run, the girls in plastic pots were always doing better than those in fabric, that must have been why. They were holding onto water longer and not drying out as fast. Plus having to hit the water store daily along with work etc makes using plastic pots a better option for the future. I have some pure raspberry and las Vegas kush sprouts that I'll keep in plastic this time around. Once again thank you everyone for wisdom and support. I should have got on here my first run for help, would have saved me a lot of stress.

S

Soulcalsd

Everything is looking much better. Still dark , but the roots are popping out the bottom more than they ever have. All the great advice yall gave is paying off. Unfortunately the girls that have a week left in flower are covered in spider mites. I thought I got rid of them , checked the other day and it's worse than ever. Any advice on remedies this close to chop? It's mostly the lower parts of the plants that are being attacked. Checked on my vegging ladies and they are clean, probably because they are healthier. Gonna hit them with neem once a week.

Top Bottom