Coco Irrigation, Blumat Vs Irrigation With Pump

• Thread starter AlbaNinja84
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AlbaNinja84

AlbaNinja84

I've started off a perpetual coco grow. At the moment i'm just in veg, but i'm planning ahead.
In veg I hand water, but in flower i'll need to automatize this. I will have 18 plants total flowering but in two different stages, so two different sets of nutrients.

Basically I need 2 irrigation systems that are good for 9 plants each. 6.5 liter final pot.

I had two ideas:

1) A hydroponics bucket, a pump, and a sort of drip sistem, timer (what size would I need the pump?)
2) Blumat

What would you think is best?

visajoe1

visajoe1

I concur with enforcer. I have a 5g bucket, pump, digital timer, 4 lines, feeding 4x day in botanicare aeration formula 1g trade pots. Not sure what my pump is tho, probably around 300gph

AlbaNinja84

AlbaNinja84

I concur with enforcer. I have a 5g bucket, pump, digital timer, 4 lines, feeding 4x day in botanicare aeration formula 1g trade pots. Not sure what my pump is tho, probably around 300gph

For the timer, do you have a timer that works in seconds and not only minutes?
How about the drainage at the bottom, how do you get rid of that?

Enforcer

Enforcer

Yes, thats what i thought. How do I choose the size of the pump? I will need to pump 9 lines from there in 6.5 liter pots.
Also the timer, do you have a timer that works in seconds and not only minutes?
How about the drainage at the bottom, how do you get rid of that?
I would recommend buying the biggest pump you can afford. You can always restrict the flow, but you can't make it pump more than it's designed to. A minute timer will work if you also use a manifold with ball valves to restrict the flow. You can make one out of PVC for almost nothing. Programmable minute timers are cheap, short interval timers are expensive. For drainage, you can build a short platform with a sump to raise the cabinet up and give the run off somewhere to go, or just allow the plants to drain into a tray and suck out the run off with a shop vac. This is a picture of the manifold I use. Just some PVC, ball valves, Y filter, and some spaghetti tubing. The pics are from my last run. You can see how the manifold is set up and the rings I made watering the plants.

The last one is those same plants at harvest. I added it just for fun.

IMG 0244
IMG 0245
IMG 0240
AlbaNinja84

AlbaNinja84

I would recommend buying the biggest pump you can afford. You can always restrict the flow, but you can't make it pump more than it's designed to. A minute timer will work if you also use a manifold with ball valves to restrict the flow. You can make one out of PVC for almost nothing. Programmable minute timers are cheap, short interval timers are expensive. For drainage, you can build a short platform with a sump to raise the cabinet up and give the run off somewhere to go, or just allow the plants to drain into a tray and suck out the run off with a shop vac. This is a picture of the manifold I use. Just some PVC, ball valves, Y filter, and some spaghetti tubing. The pics are from my last run. You can see how the manifold is set up and the rings I made watering the plants.

The last one is those same plants at harvest. I added it just for fun.

Is that the ball valve you are talking about to restrict the flow?

Would it be something like this? http://web.cimberio.it/images/imm/10IMM.jpg

IMG 0244
Enforcer

Enforcer

Is that the ball valve you are talking about to restrict the flow?

Would it be something like this? http://web.cimberio.it/images/imm/10IMM.jpg
That is a ball valve you linked, but that's the Y filter you circled. You can find the filter at any plumbing supply. The ball valves are at the front of each line at the manifold. The pump pressurizes the manifold, and each line can have an independent flow. Just by slightly turning the valve on each line.

These are cheap and just fine for the application. I don't have these exact ones, but they are very similar.

https://premiumaquatics.com/product...MI2um3gpCW2QIVj5J-Ch0N4gVoEAQYBSABEgJmoPD_BwE

AlbaNinja84

AlbaNinja84

That is a ball valve you linked, but that's the Y filter you circled. You can find the filter at any plumbing supply. The ball valves are at the front of each line at the manifold. The pump pressurizes the manifold, and each line can have an independent flow. Just by slightly turning the valve on each line.

These are cheap and just fine for the application. I don't have these exact ones, but they are very similar.

https://premiumaquatics.com/product...MI2um3gpCW2QIVj5J-Ch0N4gVoEAQYBSABEgJmoPD_BwE
Ok, thanks very much.
Can I ask what the filter is for? To avoid clogging?

Also won't the pump malfunction if you close the valves too tight?
Wont it just shoot water faster trough a smaller hole?

Enforcer

Enforcer

Ok, thanks very much.
Can I ask what the filter is for? To avoid clogging?

Also won't the pump malfunction if you close the valves too tight?
Wont it just shoot water faster trough a smaller hole?
Yes, filter prevents clogging of the lines. I have an elbow in the res with a small hole drilled in it. This acts as an anti siphon and a pressure release. Since it's inside the res, but above the water line, it functions as intended and it doesn't make a mess.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Thank you very much. You also have an air stone in there? Does it also help with mixing around the nutrients so they don't sit on the bottom?
Yeah, I have a stone in that pic. The stone is more for oxygenating the solution than mixing. Now I added a small recirculating pump (60gph) with an air fitting too. Before adding the small pump I would have some brown sediment (grow shop guy called it bioslime) after about 3-4 days. After adding the pump, no sediment. And I don’t have to mix after adding each nute. That being said, it’s not a requirement. You can get along just fine without one.

I also have an aquarium heater in the res to keep it at 69*f in the winter months.

AlbaNinja84

AlbaNinja84

Yeah, I have a stone in that pic. The stone is more for oxygenating the solution than mixing. Now I added a small recirculating pump (60gph) with an air fitting too. Before adding the small pump I would have some brown sediment (grow shop guy called it bioslime) after about 3-4 days. After adding the pump, no sediment. And I don’t have to mix after adding each nute. That being said, it’s not a requirement. You can get along just fine without one.

I also have an aquarium heater in the res to keep it at 69*f in the winter months.

I'll go buy everything tomorrow, just to be 100% sure this is what i have to do?

IMG 2556
Enforcer

Enforcer

I'll go buy everything tomorrow, just to be 100% sure this is what i have to do?
Yup, you got it. This is my current res. It’s a 27gal tuff tote from HomeDepot. You want it dark inside so algae doesn’t grow. I mixed this up a week ago. Almost time for a fresh mix. But still looks fine, no goo.​

D1AB85B7 CD05 46C9 9CAA 9696C68C5E61
AlbaNinja84

AlbaNinja84

Yup, you got it. This is my current res. It’s a 27gal tuff tote from HomeDepot. You want it dark inside so algae doesn’t grow. I mixed this up a week ago. Almost time for a fresh mix. But still looks fine, no goo.​
Perfect, thanks again:cool:

Top Bottom