Coconut Fiber?

• Thread starter 1stXgrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

1stXgrower

Hi I'm looking to start my first grow and need some advice on coconut fiber. I've done some research about it and think I may go that route. My question is can you use zoo med Eco earth coconut fiber? Thanks in advance.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Hi I'm looking to start my first grow and need some advice on coconut fiber. I've done some research about it and think I may go that route. My question is can you use zoo med Eco earth coconut fiber? Thanks in advance.

No, that stuff is reptile bedding man.. you want coco coir, Not straight coco fiber. Get something made for plants not lizards lol.

Btw usually the cheaper it is, the more you have to wash it and prepare it.. so there is a trade off in cost vs ease of use.

Most people I know use canna.

1stXgrower

No, that stuff is reptile bedding man.. you want coco coir, Not straight coco fiber. Get something made for plants not lizards lol.

Btw usually the cheaper it is, the more you have to wash it and prepare it.. so there is a trade off in cost vs ease of use.

Most people I know use canna.
Thank you for replying. I got the brick from a friend for free so no money wasted there. I mentioned coco coir to him and he had the brick I mentioned so I grabbed it to do a little research on it. We thought that if it's good for lizards and such that it may be good for growing if added into a soil.
I don't have a hydroponic shop or similar stores where I'm from I've been looking around at Walmart and home hardware so far there is Lowe's but I haven't looked there yet for anything.

Also what would be the best route for growing medium for first timer? I'll be using autoflower seeds.

1stXgrower

There are many ways to skin a cat... everyone has their own favourite way to so it.

But since you asked I'll tell you what I think would be best for a first time grow.

Id suggest you use a basic peat/perlite blend. "Plants and pots premium" brand potting soil is a good brand you should be able to find easily at lowes, and it's pretty cheap and sterile. Plus it has worn castings as a bonus. I'll post a pic below.

Then I would keep it really simple and use a one part nutrient. I'm a big fan of floranova grow, its foolproof easy and works good enough that I'm using it, and I've used a lot of different nutes.

let the seedling grow without food for a couple weeks then give it 1/4 strength feed. From there you can alternate half strength feedings and plain water feedings. When I say half strength, use half the strength of the recommended rates on the bottle for the stage of plant growth. Autos need less food.

Dont prune it or manipulate it. You can bend branches out to gather more light if necessary but autos need to grow with little stress to do well.

good luck.
Thank you for your info I appreciate it.
Are the nutrients available at Lowe's to?

Latest posts

Top Bottom