Coir Starter Failed

• Thread starter SandroSwift
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SandroSwift

SandroSwift

This is my first year starting from seeds in many years, last year I returned to cultivation as it is now legal here. Last Year I got gifted some cuttings which did well out on a deck in Peat based soil mix, a local vegetable (not municipal)compost, 25% coir, perlite and amendments from the "supersoil" recipe.
This year I got a 2x4 tent set up a "1000w" amazon light I got on an open box sale for $22 along with 4 17W clear glass led bulbs at 4000K. Big led is at 24" and tubes (bare bulbs but facing plants) are at 12".
After reading the great reviews on all coir or coir/organic I made up a starter soil of"
Coir (from a block but rinsed well a few times with rainwater) 45%, Peat 20%, good compost and worm-castings 7.5% each. plus a bit of dolomite lime, Kelp, Azomite, and Humic acid.
Seeds sprouted fine in 3 1/4 pots with extra holes and some coir chips at the bottom.
However the leaves were a bit yellow green right from the start and at about 1 week I started some CalMag+ from a GroBox and 1/3 strength Biogro along with a light Velo Kelp.
The plants did not recover much and I started alternating a flush with RO and distilled water and slightly stronger nute solution. PH has been 6-6.5. Ive even done a "live" tea that started with steeped cottonseed meal to try to bring the PH down a bit.
I got so fed up after a month I did a test planting with some good "Blueberry x Purple Kush" seed a friend had done herself. I used 2/3 Sungro soiless mix with 1/3 of my mix left over from last year. (Tested the same PH) and those took off like banshees.
I am including shots of 2 of the 2 month old ones, and 1 each of the test batch.
I am going to transplant most of the plants into 6" pots with low coir mix soon. But as even a few plants I am testing by transplanting and removing the Coir starter from the roots do not seem to have recovered much I wonder if any of the seeds I purchased this year and planted are worth saving! Its a bit late to purchase more seeds for this year I think.
Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.
and sorry for the long read! Alex

2 month old in 3
3 week old test
SandroSwift

SandroSwift

Thanks Octane I did not have a good PPM meter and the PH seemed the same at least with the cheap in soil meter I had (I've thrown that out since, I got some reference solutions and it was often off by .5!)
I picked the most important plants and did a fairly severe transplant by shaking off all the soil. The roots had filled the 3 1/4" pots a bit but the plants were only 3-4" tall at 2 months! The roots were all thin and brown.
however the transplanted ones that went into a mix with only 1/5 coir or so are recovering well and have normal lower growth. Time will only tell if they do as well in the end as the seeds I started right at that 2 month point.
Be well!

Top Bottom