Cold Curing Vs. Warm Curing

• Thread starter Brown.Thumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Brown.Thumb

Brown.Thumb

My first post...

I've been researching every aspect of cannabis growing and curing for many months and I'm still just an ignorant newb. I'm growing for medicinal purposes to treat things like inflammation, pain, depression, anxiety and Parkinson's. Flavor and effects are important but medicinal needs far outweigh those.

MY QUESTIONS: For my needs, is cold processing of fresh green herb better, or is drying and warm curing prior to extraction more beneficial (Malawi Cob Curing)? If warm curing is better, at what temperature... 130 F? Is vacuum sealed to remove oxygen better to prevent mold and preserve terpenes? Does warm curing improve or depreciate medicinal benefits?

*** Yes, I've searched... a LOT. But I'm new to all of this and need all the help I can get. All the conflicting information and opinions are mind-boggling to a dummy like me.

COLD PROCESSED...
1. Cut fresh herb and immediately freeze in dry ice
2. Grind while frozen and place back into dry ice (do not allow to thaw)
3. Pour in cold Everclear and allow the mixture to 'boil' at room temperature for 10 minutes
4. Pour cold tincture through a fine filter to remove all plant material, leaving only dissolved resins
5. Transfer tincture to a vacuum-assisted alcohol still to boil off and reclaim the Everclear for reuse (the tincture is never warmed above 120-140 F)
6. Reduce the strength of the oil by mixing in food grade glycerin or other medium to use in edibles
(I do realize any water soluble materials will be left in the plant material and none in the oil but I don't know if that's a concern)

WARM CURED...
(Malawi Cob Curing) (or Vacuum Sealed sous vide warming)... followed by extraction via various means.

Last edited:
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Not quite sure I ever hear of warm curing. I'll pop back to see if you got any replies. There's a few guys on here that are into concentrates and do their own.

Skunkfarm research has some great info on a lot of things. check that out, you might find something on there.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I do the Matt Rise style curing. Lol

Just messing with ya. Check out that site..it might have what your looking for, or email them. Great informative people there.

Brown.Thumb

Brown.Thumb

One article that caught my eye, because I was wondering about the possibility of dangerous pathogens, mentions poisonous bacteria such as botulism can be present under anaerobic conditions such as might be the case with Malawi Cob Curing. However, the heat might kill the bacteria. I don't know but I'll contact them if I don't find the answer. The article didn't specifically mention the process I'm asking about.

Brown.Thumb

Brown.Thumb

I'll be harvesting in 2-4 weeks. I asked about Malawi Cob Curing in one of the Skunk Pharm articles and they expressed the same concern as me regarding harmful pathogens. It seems the best temperature range for cob curing is between 145 and 160 degrees F. This raises the temperature high enough to avoid harmful bacterial and mold growth but is low enough to preserve most terpenes. I'm going to try it.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I'll be harvesting in 2-4 weeks. I asked about Malawi Cob Curing in one of the Skunk Pharm articles and they expressed the same concern as me regarding harmful pathogens. It seems the best temperature range for cob curing is between 145 and 160 degrees F. This raises the temperature high enough to avoid harmful bacterial and mold growth but is low enough to preserve most terpenes. I'm going to try it.
Please share the results, I'm intrigued

Blaze

Blaze

Cob curing will ruin your bud and turn it into unpleasant, unsmokable garbage. No one does it anymore because it is literally one of the worst possible ways to to dry and cure. It was done that way in the past out of sheer ignorance, there is absolutely no logical reason to dry and cure like that.

Not sure where you read up on terpenes but temps that high will totally destroy much of your terpene profile along with any pleasant smell and flavor plus as degrade all you cannabanoids.

Same goes with freezing temperatures, dry ice, etc, etc. No need to reinvent the wheel, all good growers cure and dry in a similar manner because that is what actually works.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Cob curing will ruin your bud and turn it into unpleasant, unsmokable garbage. No one does it anymore because it is literally one of the worst possible ways to to dry and cure. It was done that way in the past out of sheer ignorance, there is absolutely no logical reason to dry and cure like that.

Not sure where you read up on terpenes but temps that high will totally destroy much of your terpene profile along with any pleasant smell and flavor plus as degrade all you cannabanoids.

Same goes with freezing temperatures, dry ice, etc, etc. No need to reinvent the wheel, all good growers cure and dry in a similar manner because that is what actually works.
I actually like to dry mine in the jerky maker on low to make concentrates, no need to cure and they are much much tastier that way.

Brown.Thumb

Brown.Thumb

I'm new to this and am not stuck on any one method. I'll be trying other ways of drying and curing later but for now I'm limiting it to the two methods I mentioned. I openly admit that I'm ignorant but I've done tons of research. I'll post later with my results... the way I interpret them anyway. I know most people do the jar-burp method but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best way of doing it. Heck, if I had a freeze dryer I'd try drying that way.

Dr. John Nash proved mathematically that his "Governing Dynamics" was/is a far better way to deal with overall success in life and in business. He went against 150 years of "known and accepted" ideals that the best outcome is generated by everyone only doing what's best for themselves. He proved that wrong.

Last edited:
nocollins2k

nocollins2k

Listen to blaze...
I am... and about 1000 others too. :)
No no, let him be adventurous. I love seeing when newbs say they have researched such and such and method although there is hardly any reports/ threads/...

Let them be, hmm maybe he will harvest a pound in 2-4 weeks.

But hard to think that Google would not bring up tons of hits, if this was a good method, but thats just me :D:cry::D

Brown.Thumb

Brown.Thumb

I know neither method may be the best for my needs but we all know the internet has millions of options for just about everything. In the end, all we can do is find our way in the dark... or the blinding light.

FWIW, I'm convinced to add the glass jar/burp method too. I was just trying to minimize the variables. :)

nocollins2k

nocollins2k

I know neither method may be the best for my needs but we all know the internet has millions of options for just about everything. In the end, all we can do is find our way in the dark... or the blinding light.

FWIW, I'm convinced to add the glass jar/burp method too. I was just trying to minimize the variables. :)
So whats wrong with the normal 7-12 days of haning plants or even on drying racks..

Brown.Thumb

Brown.Thumb

So whats wrong with the normal 7-12 days of haning plants or even on drying racks..

Some of it will be dried and cured. The other method is wet/fresh extraction using subzero temperature alcohol to avoid any losses of terpenes or conversion of THC-A and other cannabinoids into other substances. I'm aware this affects the high but that's not my primary reason for consuming cannabis. I'm doing this 'mostly' for health reasons.

Latest posts

Top Bottom