collecting water/condensation from a/c units

• Thread starter tattoojim
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
El Cerebro

El Cerebro

if you have mold in your air, or any contaminate, it can get into your condensed ac air.. was using mine for a while with no problem, then last year in middle of summer had problems.. it is not worth the risk for the amount of water saved vs. what you can loose if you have a problem..
See this is what I got when asking around, can you elaborate a little on the problems, when you noticed, how it progressed? Maybe just ozonate it like in a [celebrity] hottub, wonder how cheaply that could be done? There are numerous great reasons to recycle rh water if we can pull it off cleanly.

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

The dehumidifier water is safe to use for sure and I have done so in the past, but with an AC you need to watch out... The water in an AC can contain Ligonella (not sure on the spelling) which can harm you...

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
thanks everyone...i will not b using the water that i collect from my a/c. i will keep dumping it out the back door. but if the grass and weeds take off like crazy, i might consider using it...just to risky other wise.
my tap water seems to b working just fine..
i did catch that using the dehuie water was ok rite.....not like i need a dehuie at30%

S

StonerB

Ive used it for years no problems. Just treat it like RO , it usually has very low ppm so add Ca and Mg maybe some silica. This water also has a low alkalinity so any PH adjustments will have a major effect, usually just nutes make it too acidic so an UP of sorts is needed. This is where the silica comes in, I use it as an up instead of nasty chems. I dont understand how any air contaminate would get into the water. If it comes off the HEAT exchanger wont it be pretty much sterilized from the heat.

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

It won't be sterilized unless the water is heated to 140 F... Legionella can live in water under 140...

Ganjafarmer562

Ganjafarmer562

Yea there's no issue with using ur water from ur ac unit.. Use it daily.. No issues here.

This is 100% true! One of my rooms only receives this water the entire run and I haven't had an issue yet. 0 ppm!

generalgrievous

generalgrievous

I use mine on the plant thats flushing in a 4 plant perpetual... mixed about 1:1 with my filtered water...

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I dump all my runoff and waste water water on my lawn. It's never looked better. I hand feed my garden, but the thought of some kind of top drip fed by my AC would be cool.

Question: Reading this thread, people say that you can use dehuey water, but not AC water. Isn't the AC just running a dehuey? Mine is. What's the difference? Why does one risk Legionella and the other does not? Gracias.

outwest

S

seebobsled

I think with people are saying is usually your ac is hanging out the back your window, the dehumidifyer is a self sustaining system in your room. The trays on window ac's are sitting normally hang outside in the environment which is what people are Worried about picking up bacteria and disease. I did buy my dehumidifier used it was refurbished. I saw oil film on top of water when first used so I have never used it. If I took it apart and degreased it I would use it.
If a little worried just filter the air. They make filters for the ac's to keep clean.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Ok, that makes sense. My AC is portable/freestanding and only exhaust (completely odor free) goes out the window. Condensation drips into a pan that I use for this purpose. Maybe that's why it works for me. Who knows maybe a recycled top drip is in my future. That would be the ultimate in efficiency!

outwest

S

StonerB

I just looked up that Legionella shit. Pretty scary. Thanks for the heads up. I will now be running my free water through a UV filter from the pet store.

Z

Zmon

All these what if. Unless you know Shhhh. i been grow in a/c condensation water for years. no problem what so ever. If you want to you can drink it. if your a/c is really dirty it bring up your ppms (just keep it clean) but your good to go. unless if chemicals around the a/c thats bad dont use the condensation water ,other than that while you cool your home get free clean water for thc garden lol

G gnome

G gnome

All these what if. Unless you know Shhhh. i been grow in a/c condensation water for years. no problem what so ever. If you want to you can drink it. if your a/c is really dirty it bring up your ppms (just keep it clean) but your good to go. unless if chemicals around the a/c thats bad dont use the condensation water ,other than that while you cool your home get free clean water for thc garden lol

This might b of interest....

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/lets-talk-condensate.97675/

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

My condensate pump res has an white film, leaves the hand oily. Maybe I have a leak.. Also turns to pure mildew in days without a bleach tab.

Anyone want to drink and find out what that white film is ?

Top Bottom