Colorado Outdoor Grow Questions

• Thread starter stevekaz28
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

stevekaz28

I have a number of plants outdoors that were started indoors in late March. I have 2 cherry lime haze's, 2 race fuel OG's, a golden goat, 3 flo's and 5 chiesel's. The chiesel's were started 2 months later and left in too small of pots for about 3 weeks so they're no where near the others, but still doing quite well now that they're in the ground.
I have a few basic questions as this is my first real outdoor grow. I'm growing in Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil and for feeding I have been relying heavily on top dressing. I top dress with down to earth Bio-Live, Fish meal, and Blood meal. I have also hit them with a 5-5-5 fox farm general fertilizer, and recently with a fox farm marine cuisine running at 10-7-7. I am also using all the mentioned down to earth nutrients, along with the fox farm happy frog fertilizer to brew teas. These teas have been accompanied by emerald harvest cal-mag, age old grow, water soluble microzae, house and garden roots excelurator, and starting today, doses of molasses. From what I understand the molasses takes a few weeks to break down and become available for the plant. With that said I want to hit them now so it is available the second flowering starts. All nutrients used pictured below.
I'm about 45 minutes west of Denver in the mountains at an elevation of about 7200 feet. Most of the plants are getting 14-16 hours of direct intense sunlight each day. The area I live in is more like high desert so although it tends to get colder quicker up here, it stays much more mild in my area later in the season. That being said they are not in a greenhouse and just spread around the yard. (luckily I live in a very cool community full of very cool people who have not just been accepting of my efforts but very supportive!!!) I am also prepared to build a wooden frame and plastic over the plants shall the weather get too shaky before harvest time. One day at a time on that. My plants are in 30 and 45 gallon smart pots, but I dug about 2-2.5 feet deep under the plants and amended the natural soil heavily. The roots for all plants are growing unrestricted. My cheisel's and race fuels are planted directly in the ground.
My questions are......Does anyone have any experience growing outdoors in the mountains, and if so when can I expect my plants to transition to flower. I'm also curious how much I can expect them to stretch when they do begin to transition. I have been training them so they're about 4 feet tall but about equally as wide. I think at this point I'm going to just let them grow up. All of my plants are hybrids with a 60/40 ratio sativa and indica. The cherry lime hazes lean more sativa, the golden goat is very sativa, and the flos lean more indica. Honestly don't know about the chiesel's but just from growth and structure they seem pretty 50/50. The race fuels also seem pretty 50/50. I know sativas will stretch more than indica. Would love to hear from someone with any experience or knowledge on outdoor stretch.

Colorado outdoor grow questions
Colorado outdoor grow questions 2
Colorado outdoor grow questions 3
Colorado outdoor grow questions 4
Colorado outdoor grow questions 5
Colorado outdoor grow questions 6
Colorado outdoor grow questions 7
Colorado outdoor grow questions 8
Colorado outdoor grow questions 9
Colorado outdoor grow questions 10
Colorado outdoor grow questions 11
Colorado outdoor grow questions 12
Colorado outdoor grow questions 13
Colorado outdoor grow questions 14
Colorado outdoor grow questions 15
Colorado outdoor grow questions 16
Colorado outdoor grow questions 17

DGP

DGP

Man, such a complicated nute system. I just feed Alaska fish, a little calmag and some tea and so far my girls are almost 6 feet by 5 feet across. In about 5 weeks we will reduce the fish and add P and K.

We have one strain running with 2 phenos....one is sativa dom and the other very strong indica dom. Mine will about double in height during the stretch.

Dee

DGP

DGP

At 7200 feet you may have trouble finishing in time. I used to live and work in CO from time to time and I know it gets a lot cooler faster in the Fall at that altitude. The indicas will probably love it and they finish sooner but the sativas might be trouble. Normally I would move them indoor to finish rather than harvest early but if your in the ground or in really big pots that can obviously be an issue. I am running 30 gallon fabric pots this year and they could be moved if I had room in the house to setup an area that big. I am building a retractable cover for rain protection but for you I would be worried about cold. What does your 5 year weather stats tell you for your specific town?

Dee

DGP

DGP

If you don't finish by mid-Sept you may have issues......For example Idaho Springs at 7500 feet (used to hang out there). Are you on the West side of the divide or East side....I know the weather is different depending on which side you live....
IS CO

S

stevekaz28

I'm on the East side of the divide but pretty far south. The area I live in is known as the "banana belt." It stays around 10-12 degrees warmer than all the sounding areas. Strange climate here compared to surrounding areas. I am prepared to build a frame around the plants, plastic them off and run a heater if necessary. I assume that will be the case for the last month. The Cherry Lime Hazes were actually advertised as good for Colorado outdoor as they handle colder temps very well. Picked them up at a dispensary. I've also been contemplating light deprivation to start the process a few weeks earlier and finish them faster. The lowest temps got all of last September was 43. Temps didn't drop below 40 until after the first week of October. Believe me temperatures and flower time is the main thing on my mind as far as issues I will run into. Being that I am top dressing heavily I am happy with a REASONABLE amount of rain. I'm out in Pine. If this fall and winter is as mild as last year I think Ill be ok until the last 2 weeks of flower. I assume at that point I will need to build an enclosure and run a heater to ensure they can fully mature. Which website did you use for the idaho springs weather history? Thanks again!!

Also a big reason for the large amount of things im feeding with is being I am having them grow in the natural soil, which is quite rocky and very low in any vital nutrients. Luckily everything I am using is very cheap. The most expensive things are the roots excelurator which I will stop feeding in a week along with the soluble microzae. It may be overkill but the plants seem extremely happy.

S

stevekaz28

Next weekend I will putting metal stakes in the ground and trellising all the plants. I will probably give them one week after that to adjust and grow a little more and start light dep the last few days of the month. This will have them finishing about 3 weeks sooner than if I let them go naturally and will alleviate many of my time and temperature concerns. Thanks a lot!!!

S

stevekaz28

may speed that process up for the Flo's as they have about a 2 week longer flower period than my other strains.

Natureboy43

Natureboy43

I have a number of plants outdoors that were started indoors in late March. I have 2 cherry lime haze's, 2 race fuel OG's, a golden goat, 3 flo's and 5 chiesel's. The chiesel's were started 2 months later and left in too small of pots for about 3 weeks so they're no where near the others, but still doing quite well now that they're in the ground.
I have a few basic questions as this is my first real outdoor grow. I'm growing in Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil and for feeding I have been relying heavily on top dressing. I top dress with down to earth Bio-Live, Fish meal, and Blood meal. I have also hit them with a 5-5-5 fox farm general fertilizer, and recently with a fox farm marine cuisine running at 10-7-7. I am also using all the mentioned down to earth nutrients, along with the fox farm happy frog fertilizer to brew teas. These teas have been accompanied by emerald harvest cal-mag, age old grow, water soluble microzae, house and garden roots excelurator, and starting today, doses of molasses. From what I understand the molasses takes a few weeks to break down and become available for the plant. With that said I want to hit them now so it is available the second flowering starts. All nutrients used pictured below.
I'm about 45 minutes west of Denver in the mountains at an elevation of about 7200 feet. Most of the plants are getting 14-16 hours of direct intense sunlight each day. The area I live in is more like high desert so although it tends to get colder quicker up here, it stays much more mild in my area later in the season. That being said they are not in a greenhouse and just spread around the yard. (luckily I live in a very cool community full of very cool people who have not just been accepting of my efforts but very supportive!!!) I am also prepared to build a wooden frame and plastic over the plants shall the weather get too shaky before harvest time. One day at a time on that. My plants are in 30 and 45 gallon smart pots, but I dug about 2-2.5 feet deep under the plants and amended the natural soil heavily. The roots for all plants are growing unrestricted. My cheisel's and race fuels are planted directly in the ground.
My questions are......Does anyone have any experience growing outdoors in the mountains, and if so when can I expect my plants to transition to flower. I'm also curious how much I can expect them to stretch when they do begin to transition. I have been training them so they're about 4 feet tall but about equally as wide. I think at this point I'm going to just let them grow up. All of my plants are hybrids with a 60/40 ratio sativa and indica. The cherry lime hazes lean more sativa, the golden goat is very sativa, and the flos lean more indica. Honestly don't know about the chiesel's but just from growth and structure they seem pretty 50/50. The race fuels also seem pretty 50/50. I know sativas will stretch more than indica. Would love to hear from someone with any experience or knowledge on outdoor stretch.

View attachment 815434 View attachment 815435 View attachment 815436 View attachment 815437 View attachment 815438 View attachment 815439 View attachment 815440 View attachment 815441 View attachment 815442 View attachment 815443 View attachment 815444 View attachment 815445 View attachment 815446 View attachment 815447 View attachment 815448 View attachment 815449 View attachment 815450
Did you find out when natural flowering would/did begin?

Wishbone

Wishbone

Did you find out when natural flowering would/did begin?

I’m in Denver, flower is just starting for me on most strains. Last year was about the same with a variety of strains, finishing 2nd or 3rd week of October.

Natureboy43

Natureboy43

I’m in Denver, flower is just starting for me on most strains. Last year was about the same with a variety of strains, finishing 2nd or 3rd week of October.
I’m in san diego county ca. This has been a hot year for us. Of my spring planted stock, the bloom began 20-23 July. Last year was cooler and bloom began 1-5 August

Wishbone

Wishbone

I’m in san diego county ca. This has been a hot year for us. Of my spring planted stock, the bloom began 20-23 July. Last year was cooler and bloom began 1-5 August

It was super hot here for a few weeks in July here, but has cooled down since with temps consistently in the mid 80’s and the plants have been loving it! I know latitude plays a large part, but looking at other outdoor grows on here it seems CO is a bit behind the rest of the country.

Latest posts

Top Bottom