COMMERICAL GROWERS DRYING

• Thread starter johnnyrex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
johnnyrex

johnnyrex

Hello everyone I want to know how do commerical growers dry their product I have done at least 10 runs and every run my dried product stills smells like chlorophyll I don't know how they just dry and get rid of they stuff anybody care to chime in on how they do it? Also what technique if any do you use to cure large amounts like 10+# thanks
FYI I have good gentics OG kush Cali connection sour and some other from reputable breeders my drying conditions is a dark room with temp 69-70 with RH at 65% I wet trim and put on dry rackes also I have 4 fans oscillating opposit to the buds facing the wall so the air flow bounces off and its not directly hitting the buds

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

What method of growing?
How long do you flush?
How long does it take for your product to dry under those conditions?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I don't like any fans blowing(wall fans) while drying at all! Just an exhaust fan is all that is needed to keep air flowing and all. Don't set them on their sides, hang them back up on the stems after trimming wet and lower your heat a few degrees and put your humidity at 55% or so. Takes 1-2 weeks and than the whole burping, curing or figuring out how to bag it and all is something you have to fiddle with to get it how you like it. It's not that hard and fucking with it through the process is a big no no, don't rush it. Your most likely grabbing your nugs before they dry all the way and that's why they smell hay like...no light, no direct heat and darkness and time are your friend!

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Im in soil but here's my process:
-Flush for 3 weeks in organic soil
-Week prior, remove all fan leaves
-Harvest day, wet trim everything real good
-Hang 4-5 limbs per metal clothers hanger
-No fans in dry room, and im not a stickler on climate (RH60-75 &Temp is same)
-You want the process to take 10-14 days and as BABA said no light or heat above 80
-Pull buds and throw in platic storage container and transport to trimmers

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

I grow hydro undercurrent and I flush for 5 days cause with the undercurrent the roots are submerged in to water and the time to dry is only 4 days but by then the buds are brittle and when I put in jars they don't get moist they stay dry

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I grow hydro undercurrent and I flush for 5 days cause with the undercurrent the roots are submerged in to water and the time to dry is only 4 days but by then the buds are brittle and when I put in jars they don't get moist they stay dry

4 days is way too fast. The bud needs time to break down the chlorophyll. Turn off the fans and let them go for ATLEAST a week. Keep an eye on them, if it seems they're still drying too fast without the fans, seal them up and 'burp' the container or bag daily to slow down the drying.

purpleberry

purpleberry

Try not trimming it wet.
I disagree with most, If your doing comercial space is valuable and getting product out the door is probally your main concern. A fast dry and cure can be done with out killing quaility if you figure out how to do it.
Cut the fan leaves and hang, 75 degrees 40% humidity for 3-4 days, After they start to feel dry enought , Raise it up to 50% to slow the dry down some, Start chopping and putting trimmed buds on racks for another 2-3 days. After that bag or rack it depending on if you need to slow drying down. You can have most stuff trimmed and bagged in 10 days. Doesnt hurt quaility when I do it like this. The trick is to pay attention to how dry stuff is and dont over dry by leaving humidity low for to long and dont bag stuff for 24 hours when its not dry in the middle. Basicly use the bags as jars and when you need to burp throw on the rack. Going back and forth 12 hours at a time will help get moisture content right in a fast way. Im not saying its the best way to do it, Just saying it can be done and I have no problem with quaility.

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

this is not what i do, but is what a very wise big timer once told me on another site. i have rushed it before and it works well enough that most folks won't notice. i hang the whole plant now, takes a ton of stress out of harvest & transplant week.

I cut down tree's and break down the buds by hand and remove only the large leaves , next they are trimmed by running them through the centurion . Once perfectly trimmed buds are gently placed on large drying screens in the drying room . Temps in there are precisely monitored at 71 degree's and 60% humidity , there are fans a dehumidifier and an airconditioner in there to ensure proper temps .

The buds stay there for 24-48 hrs until the OUTER part of the buds has dried slightly . They are then scooped up and placed into large contrator style garbage bags and tied in a knot overnight to sweat at a slightly higher temp of 76. they are then placed back on the screens this time for approx 30hrs and the "sweating" process is repeated . This is exactly as it implies as all the inside moisture is sweated out into the outer portion of the bud , it also allows for a single stage cure/dry process and saves time.

Once the second sweat has been performed you allow the buds to dry this time without the humidifier often and the room is dryer slighly now. My place seems to stay around 50 60% hum, temp has to stay around 70. Full process takes about 6-8 days and herb is PERFECT Mind you I start with 160+lbs wet and dry to 30-35 ... So this method is best performed on min a lb or 2 but does work great on small amounts too ...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
yep should take 8 days till the leaves are crispy....sometimes ten

I have found out recently, Really Good Weed is hard to fuck up.

Its the mediocre stuff that gets too dry or smells like chlorophyll ;)
(been there^^)

Its seems Thrichome coverage keeps them buds from drying out real nice :D

monkeymun

monkeymun

Yep, good buds tends to fare better. Maybe it's because there's more THC in it to start with, so even if you fuck it up drying it, the smell still comes through over the chlorophyll.

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

Thanks all of you guys for giving me advise on this problem and your right good strains is hard to fuck up but my situation is that a lot of grower have thee product smelling good at the end of the drying process without curing I'm trying to achieve those same results and also hand or dry trimming is out of the question also I have to dry on racks thanks ill try the bag method unless other wise advise

BCrocker

BCrocker

this is not what i do, but is what a very wise big timer once told me on another site. i have rushed it before and it works well enough that most folks won't notice. i hang the whole plant now, takes a ton of stress out of harvest & transplant week.

I cut down tree's and break down the buds by hand and remove only the large leaves , next they are trimmed by running them through the centurion . Once perfectly trimmed buds are gently placed on large drying screens in the drying room . Temps in there are precisely monitored at 71 degree's and 60% humidity , there are fans a dehumidifier and an airconditioner in there to ensure proper temps .

The buds stay there for 24-48 hrs until the OUTER part of the buds has dried slightly . They are then scooped up and placed into large contrator style garbage bags and tied in a knot overnight to sweat at a slightly higher temp of 76. they are then placed back on the screens this time for approx 30hrs and the "sweating" process is repeated . This is exactly as it implies as all the inside moisture is sweated out into the outer portion of the bud , it also allows for a single stage cure/dry process and saves time.

Once the second sweat has been performed you allow the buds to dry this time without the humidifier often and the room is dryer slighly now. My place seems to stay around 50 60% hum, temp has to stay around 70. Full process takes about 6-8 days and herb is PERFECT Mind you I start with 160+lbs wet and dry to 30-35 ... So this method is best performed on min a lb or 2 but does work great on small amounts too ...
Same process here. Are you in BC? Common practice around here. I also use a centurion pro :)

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

Thanks guys I definitely giving the garbage method a try so once harvest run my bud through trimmer put in racks for 2 days 71F & 60% RH than in bags to sweat for 1.5 days than return to racks to dry for another 2 days than back to bags for another 1.5 days or 30hrs than back to racks to dry or 6-8 days with temp 70F and RH 60%
Did I get this right? Thanks everyone for the advise

Sailfishdan

Sailfishdan

Im my experience using any type of trimmer will surely add to the chlorophyll smell....if you don't want it to smell like hay, don't mow it like hay... we harvest by selecting branches that are ripe, remove fan leaves, or any others that you can se the full stem of the leaf! only if you cant remove the whole leaf come back to it after its dried....IMO you release the chlorophyll smell be ding, ding, ding, releasing more chlorophyll...allow the plant matter to dry before removing excess sugar leaves...I wait the nuggs become firm enough to hold their own shape and the tips of the sugar leaves are crisp trim accordingly...i know it sucks but if you want a truly quality product trim by hand

Blaze

Blaze

Did you remove the large fan leaves before drying? That makes a big difference as well.

Cort

Cort

I dont produce commercial quantity but when I chop I cut it down to main branches, remove most fan leaves, group into bundles and hang from upside down tomato cages in my tent. I cool the room to about 65 and adjust the fan speed so Im dry in 7-10 days. I trim dry and cure for 2-3 week depending how it goes.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

My man Kenny P nailed it. I like the 18 gal rubbermaid totes for the sweating/"curing". Can burp 6-7#'s at a time. Contractor bags for a min if nugs are Kinda moist still.

johnnyrex

johnnyrex

Hey Kenny P you mention that you don't use this technique? If so what do you do to harvest 160wet # cause to hang big tree like plants it's counter intuitive no?

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

lol sorry bro, see that very last line there. that is the one talking to me...im just a caregiver in MI. id be far away from these forums if i dropped 35lbs a harvest.

everything in my post in "non-forum" text is a copy paste from a post on an old aero forum that does not exist anymore.

Top Bottom