Compact Plant

• Thread starter Mr.Juice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I raised the light another foot, going to increase time between waterings. And see how it goes. I just germinated two more of the same seed and will have a couple to compare with shortly. I’m very sciencey, it’s what makes this so fun for me. Going to have a go at making feminized seeds for the fun of it at some point. Posted my colloidal silver setup in advanced techniques section. Appreciate all the comments and input.

Right on, that was going to be another suggestion. Raise the lights and jack the humidity as high as you can for a few days, like 70-80%. High RH can cause it to stretch out too.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

More temp differential. Colder nights. Can cause more stretch. But if the roots are wet and cant uptake like im guessing that will not help dry the big pot out.

Nugg

Nugg

They say to watch your plants...raise lights till plants start pointing up..that means they are reaching for the light and they will stretch.. If the leafs lay back..to much light

London bud

London bud

She looks fine to me, I've had plants with nodes coming in this tight, its lights in close, not a bad thing though. You could reduce light a little but you aint gotta, she ain't burning. Tight nodes mean your plants growing more leaves which in turn produce more energy rather than wasting energy building stem. There's a long way to go, they'll space out as time goes on and once you switch to 12/12 they'll stretch out into their own space. Your plant looks good mate. Not sure how @Dirtbag thinks that your plant has no auxins? LOL
Did he actually say he'll check his textbook? You need to get your head out the textbook and do some real life growing if you think this is a mutant plant with no auxins.

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Once all of the changes are done...re-potting, changing Ph, changing nutes...after everything is settled down, I think the plant will do swell. I've had some really strange looking clones and these look fine...maybe a little strange at this point, but it will recover and grow well. The light levels look fine since they aren't bleaching or burning. Different plants grow differently. Ever try growing a 100% Sativa? The seeds are tiny and take a while to get going...but once they get going, look out!! Indica dominant plants usually grow shorter and faster, initially. After 2 months, the Sativa outgrows it. Most folks don't like growing Sativa because it doesn't give the hard nuggets everyone expects today, but just because it's different doesn't mean it wont kick your butt. Keep it going...it might be the next great thing!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
She looks fine to me, I've had plants with nodes coming in this tight, its lights in close, not a bad thing though. You could reduce light a little but you aint gotta, she ain't burning. Tight nodes mean your plants growing more leaves which in turn produce more energy rather than wasting energy building stem. There's a long way to go, they'll space out as time goes on and once you switch to 12/12 they'll stretch out into their own space. Your plant looks good mate. Not sure how @Dirtbag thinks that your plant has no auxins? LOL
Did he actually say he'll check his textbook? You need to get your head out the textbook and do some real life growing if you think this is a mutant plant with no auxins.

Lol, the plant has no stem man, I'm sorry but that's not normal. And believe me I have plenty of "real life growing" experience. I'm just trying to help the dude, there is no need to be sassy. I agree with everyone saying ride it out, It could take off and be fine. But let's not sugar coat things and pretend that a plant with no stem is 100% normal, because it's just not

Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

Well I will give her all the love and attention I can, even if she is a stumpy developmentally challenged girl or not. I did first two grows with autos, just to get some basic experience under my belt and learn as much as possible. With this one I was planning on giving a go at trying some low stress training. Then it came out like this and I was like, wtf, how can I start spreading this girl out when it’s so compact to begin with. I appreciate all the input, every grow will be a learning experience and it’s fun.

London bud

London bud

Well I will give her all the love and attention I can, even if she is a stumpy developmentally challenged girl or not. I did first two grows with autos, just to get some basic experience under my belt and learn as much as possible. With this one I was planning on giving a go at trying some low stress training. Then it came out like this and I was like, wtf, how can I start spreading this girl out when it’s so compact to begin with. I appreciate all the input, every grow will be a learning experience and it’s fun.
You don't need to start training yet, let her grow out for a couple weeks.
The nodes will spread out later. It's normal bro keep doing what your doing.
@Dirtbag sorry for being a bit sassy lol you can see the plant has 1 top in the centre though, that's the auxins doing there job

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
It's obviously got some auxins or it wouldn't be alive. But if the growing tip were producing auxin normally it would have more of a stem beneath it. This stuff about it not wasting energy by growing just leaves instead of making stem is absolute bro-science. I understand that tight node spacing can be a desirable trait, but a plant needs a stem... this just doesnt look like simple tight node spacing to me. and I've germinated hundreds, if not thousands of seeds in the last 20 years.

This pic is a plant I recently germinated and put in the dirt on the 30th of January. So very similar in age to the plant in question.. To the OP; besides slight variation from strain to strain, this is what a normal photoperiod plant usually looks like at about 3 weeks to one month old. It would be even bigger in Hydro/DWC. Notice the presence of a stem.... Mine is a bit taller than some peoples plants this age because I dont bury mine up to the cotyledon leaves. I have more than enough height in my growspace and actually prefer space between the top of the soil and the canopy. But some people will bury up to the cotyledon leaves when they pot up.
20190224 183319

20190224 183339

Last edited:
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
You don't need to start training yet, let her grow out for a couple weeks.
The nodes will spread out later. It's normal bro keep doing what your doing.
Different strains grow in a different process. Some Indicas are kind of spindly and tall while they are growing, but by week 8 or 9, they can be 12 ft or more (outdoors...or indoors if you have the room!) and resemble a classic Christmas Tree. A Sativa will start out very thin and slow before it takes off a little later in life. After about 3 months, they are all pretty big, although a lot of newer indoor strains stay short and squat regardless of how they are grown. As long as it looks healthy, I would keep it going...who knows, it might turn out to be a great plant to cross a tall, spindly plant with. But that's a tale for another day.

London bud

London bud

@Dirtbag are you an indoor or outdoor man? Cos i think most outdoor growers will probably never see such short plants and lack of stem, the light ain't intense enough outside.
it seems to me its obviously cos hes got such intense light on the plant, I mean he started with 600w, it's barely a seedling and now it's on 1200w. Thats a lot of light, the plant dont need to stretch or reach for light at all with that intensity.
Realistically a seedling/small plant like this will grow with under 200w let Alone 1200w. It's a lot, a lot of light for such a baby plant.
The plant ain't burning though so personally I'd keep it up. I like to get the light as close as possible, sometimes I'll be adjusting light height every morning to avoid burn cos i have them at the very limit of how close they can be.
@Mr.Juice I believe your plants gonna make a real nice canopy when u start training that, id top n mainline or scrog that, but for now id say just let her grow out. I imagine you'll get a nice full dense canopy from that plant in the end

Last edited:
Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

I’m not sure how they come up with the LED ratings, but my 1200w light is only pulling ~220 watts. I agree, I’m giving it lots of light. I have the light 3’ above, and it’s giving me almost 40k lumens
Upload 2019 2 25 9 56 26

Upload 2019 2 25 9 57 19

Would be ~65k lumens if it were at 2’. I know lumens aren’t the key and ppfd are what to go by, but I don’t have a tester for that. Just to give an idea of the amount of light.
@London bud, I’m hoping so. This is my third attempt and will be first try at training. Hoping I don’t screw it up, so if anyone can point me to any good videos on training I want to learn more. Want to trim up my stems too. Last ones were autos and I just let them go. Still working on trimming skills, boatloads of popcorns and I’d rather have fewer and denser buds. Just took one down, Takes me forever.
Upload 2019 2 25 10 6 52

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
@Dirtbag are you an indoor or outdoor man? Cos i think most outdoor growers will probably never see such short plants and lack of stem, the light ain't intense enough outside.
it seems to me its obviously cos hes got such intense light on the plant, I mean he started with 600w, it's barely a seedling and now it's on 1200w. Thats a lot of light, the plant dont need to stretch or reach for light at all with that intensity.
Realistically a seedling/small plant like this will grow with under 200w let Alone 1200w. It's a lot, a lot of light for such a baby plant.
The plant ain't burning though so personally I'd keep it up. I like to get the light as close as possible, sometimes I'll be adjusting light height every morning to avoid burn cos i have them at the very limit of how close they can be.
@Mr.Juice I believe your plants gonna make a real nice canopy when u start training that, id top n mainline or scrog that, but for now id say just let her grow out. I imagine you'll get a nice full dense canopy from that plant in the end

@London bud, I've been indoors for 20 years, and also grown a few dozen plants outdoors in that time. But primarily indoor.
I grow exclusively with 1000w HPS/MH lamps in Veg and flower and a T5HO array for cloning and seedlings. I've never seen plants do this. Something is negatively affecting his growth rate, whether its environmental or genetic.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Ive had a few stubby plants using the blurple leds,dont sweat it.the growth looks great so far,once you flip itll stretch out
To be fair, I'm not an LED guy. So it's totally possible it's the spectrum from the light doing it. That I would not be familiar with.

Reactions: Ina
London bud

London bud

@Dirtbag my plants look like your picture when I start them on my windowsill.

Reactions: Ina
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
@Dirtbag my plants look like your picture when I start them on my windowsill.

Good for you man. Are you a Blurple guy too?

Mine stay in pre-veg under 2x T5HO's in a very controlled climate for the first month. Yes, the low light and high humidity makes them grow a little taller, but like I said that is actually a goal of mine, and it's good for overall plant health at this age. It just makes them happier and healthier before being exposed to the intense lights.
These are just about to go under 600w MH so they will start to really bush out and stop stretching
20190213 223204

20190224 145116

Last edited:
Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

Figured I’d update, 3wks since appearance of first true leaves
Upload 2019 2 28 16 28 7

Side view:

Upload 2019 2 28 16 29 24

It’s getting lots of bulk, I think anyway.
21-26C , 30-35% RH (yes, still on the low side) Dialed back with watering as suggested, no nutrients, just sensical mag xtra 2mL/L. Want to do some training but still not long enough to start bending.

View attachment 534D87A0-DCC9-438E-B1BA-A7946050310E.MOV
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'd love to see what it would do under a regular T5HO. I'm seriously starting to think your light spectrum is what's causing it to grow like that, for better for worse.

Looks healthy though. Curious to see what happens with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom