comparison grow: HPS vs Induction

• Thread starter calbunn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

calbunn

Is this based on personal experience, or a grow you've been involved in, or have you got this second-hand from someone? I'm not doubting you, I see you're doing good work elsewhere on the Farm with LEP, I just like to see the citations behind the statements.

To be honest, they seem a bit too good to be true to me too, but since I have zip for personal experience with them, nor even any secondhand from associates, I don't feel like I'm in a position to make an informed judgement.
Thanks ttystikk

This was a new medium for me as well and the initial cost was a hurdle. But I've seen improvements with the phospors over the last few years and it's not achieved with standard tri-phospor blends. The phosphors really are the science although locking the glass together means the gas has nowhere to escape and the blackened ends you see on a normal fluorescent lamp never occurs. Consistent wavelengths and intensities grow after grow with UVB at flower is why I originally went to these but they also run cooler at less wattage then the HID's I usually use.

There are those that will dismiss things out of hand since if they are not using it there is no way it can be effective. It is to those people I direct my personal and second hand experiences with these lamps since in all likelihood they know little or nothing about how they work for our needs.

C

calbunn

I am sorry, I didn;t mean to be a killjoy.
I have been thinking about these lights for some time.

I am going to test a unit immediately. I am sure the lights will veg great, the true test will be flowering IMO. If they perform, I will be the first to share the good news.
No worries Mr. October.

Just post the results and burn one for me

nuttso

nuttso

They use inda-gro for the super veg trailer. Infact when i get my money, i'm gonna test one of them for us.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Please do not mistake my views for me trying to poo poo your thread, I would never do that. If you wish me to refrain from posting I will.

These lights are just ho flouros. Nothing else. The 400w unit emits the same level of lumens as the 400w t5 do you know why, because they are the same principal bulb technology. Just driven differently.

If it was using some new kind of bulb tech then I would be vey interested in these. But it's not.

Plants depend of micromoles of light and par / ppfd. The only reference to par is 90%. That could be talking about golfing par as there are no other figures to quanitfy.

Please do complete your tests, I love seeing test thread but also do not like seeing people getting taken in by hype. These lights have been around for quite some time in the industrial human lighting arena.

Infact one of our own member has tested these before

I tested a 400 watt version of the induction light and it was ok at best. I would say its about the same of LED's.. To address some issues.. The frame is heavy usually.. Like wayyyy heavier than any light should be. There is heat that comes off of it. The glass is basically suppose to keep it all in and not have it vent. They get very hot on the inside. I tried it open with no glass and with glass. I was using a flowering bulb by the way. Very fun to test but a waste of time. Thanks to the company that allowed me to test it which I will not mention since they are on the "we will sell anything regardless of if its crap or not" bandwagon.

They work but I would not suggest them at all.

Why? Digital 600 or 1000 dimmable + your choice of vented hood + your choice of bulb = way better than this.

As said, I am not trying to rubbish your thread, so please refrain from thinking as such. I am here to support in every way I can. And if that support happens to be quoting science against a companies hype then fair enough.

But please believe I would not just make up shit to rubbish someone's thread. If you think I would then please research my post here and across other forums oveer the last 10 years an youll see I love a good scientific test and hate aggressive, obtuse behaviour.

Best of luck with this.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Anyone here try a plasma yet?

Yep and it's great.

Perhaps I can persuade you with my thread that I am not trying to stir. Please believe.

At the end of the day I will never dispute science. Hype always unless otherwise proved.

R

reggiebaseball

Well, I am not informed first hand, but my poking around makes me think this:

1. as you say there seems to be a ton of induction lights floating out of China that want to find a home somewhere. I see them on EBay, I see Chinese import guys trying to sell them on other forums, and I have seen this other model that was poorly reviewed and sells for $1500 in a glass enclosed reflector.
2. that test you refer to was done on a different, Chinese unit that sucked.
3. I think Inda-gro is an American guy who knows about electronics, not sure if he is an engineer, but I Think he owned a company that dealt with China and is using his connections to leverage the induction technology.
4. I think they have their own ideas and have tweaked the phosphors to their specificiations, so while the product is still made in China it is made differently than those units tested years ago.

Now can changes in the phosphor content, bulb coating or assembly make a terrible product into a stellar one-- perhaps

I keep hoping something can beat HPS without the heat, but until I see JK or Tex or somebody pulling huge warehouses using them, I just am not sure I will believe it.

From my reading on plasma it seems to be a vegging wonder, but not the ticket for flowering.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Here is a page with a little more info and spec on induction lighting.

C

calbunn

Here is a page with a little more info and spec on induction lighting.
Reggie you are pretty much dead on with your assessment. Just talk with the owner of grow-light-source and he'll tell you how his personal dealings, as a DEALER went, not an end user who they would presumably fuck without a second thought, which from the looks of is the same company MLAND I believe motto-tokka may have tested. On paper it looked possibly promising but in reality the experience was a complete waste of time and money.

I was going to buy a SUPERGROW LIGHT by MLAND (chinese direct) that peddled a merged 2900 to a 6500K lamp and supposedly gave you this wide spectrum. Hopefully not many people fell for that crap because it's a flawed design from a company that simply does not honor any of their warranty claims.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

hmmmm.....did you not see my question or did you just avoid it?

M

MTgrower

They sound pretty much like any T5 with the advantage of having a 100,000 hour life span with very little degradation over time. I'm sick of changing out HO and VHO T5 bulbs with such frequency, and you can easily see when the tubes are going kaput (much dimmer and have the black ends, or totally out).

I'm all for trying different lighting technologies, and don't care if I waste a few bucks here or there on a product that didn't live up to expectations. I'll try one of these fixtures (rectangle) out some time soon.

C

calbunn

Harvest day

Harvesting

Tangerine Dream Hybrid
The Waikiki Queen - got 6 ft tall and the bottom still budded. First time ever
Jack Herer 6
Cannabis Cup Winner - BC Purps

LA CON coming along nicely at week 5 which would be my normal week 6 size for this strain.

Everything here was grown under the two inda-gro 420 series

purty huh? I meant the plants

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

do you have a picture of the whole grow room and how the plants are spaced out under the indagrows?

C

calbunn

do you have a picture of the whole grow room and how the plants are spaced out under the indagrows?
I'm reconfiguring the room now for more light rails and going to the inda-gro 420's. Each light will move over a 12 x 12 area when I'm done.

C

calbunn

I'll start journal when I finish this grow. In the mean time here's a journal on a nice Blue Dream that I liked since he's thorough and included pics all along the way. BTW I think this was only his second grow too.

http://www.invalid.com/grow-journals/401594-blue-dream-800w-induction-lights.html
When I started this post I'd forgotten about previous posts I'd seen on other forums. But I was reminded of Solcielo's journals and I referenced them on here for anyone interested.

Sad to hear Solcielo has had a relapse of his Leukimia and he's not doing much of anything anymore but go to the hospital. He went to the trouble of journalling his 3 induction grows and stayed unbiased the entire time. He's one class act and I wish him only the best.

http://www.invalid.com/grow-journals/401594-blue-dream-800w-induction-lights-26.html

N

noone88

I'm glad to see that people are embracing the benefits of full spectrum lighting. I have switched my rooms to dual-arcs about a year ago.

I just wish that plasma and CMH options were available in 1000 watt versions...

Top Bottom