Complete Beginners Guide

• Thread starter charmingdol
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

charmingdol

Is there a total newbie guide here on how to grow? Starting from scratch and not knowing anything about agriculture. What to buy, how to grow it, etc.?

DGP

DGP

I have not seen an end to end full tutorial but maybe there is somewhere on the forums. There are so many ways to grow. Read about soil, coco and hydro and first figure out what kind of grow methods you might choose then read and read. Then start browsing equipment and figure out if you can afford the activity. Also, try to figure out a good place to grow in your house etc. Do you have room? Do you have room for a veg area or just one grow space? How much do you need to produce? Keep asking questions as you figure out whether it makes sense.

1. Soil is the lowest cost but can be challenging.
2. Coco has probably the next lowest entry cost similar to hydro (kind of in between soil and hydro) requires hand or automated watering.
3. Deep Water Culture (hydro) is more expensive to set up and hard to control the water conditions without recirculating water through a chiller ($$) and even A/C unit ($$) to keep everything cool.
4. Recirculating Deep Water Hydro is more expensive including top feed as well as undercurrent (the most expensive unless you DIY it).

Dee

DGP

DGP

Not a master grower here but I have done soil, DWC, RDWC and recently Under Current DWC. Built my own systems on the cheap but still had to buy an A/C unit and eventally a water chiller but in my case it was worth it. Cannabis from the dispensery here is poison so I can justify my medical grow pretty easily.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

200w

Enforcer

Enforcer

Is there a total newbie guide here on how to grow? Starting from scratch and not knowing anything about agriculture. What to buy, how to grow it, etc.?

growweedeasy.com

Lots of great info for the beginner. Not everything they say is gospel, but most of it is accurate.

M

mediuseA

Take your time and read through the grow forums. Coming to growing Cannabis from a background of black thumbs myself the best thing I can suggest is READ... yes, its overwhelming to begin with but as you become more familiar with the life cycle and needs of Cannabis it will begin to gel together and make sense....there IS NO set and forget method of growing nor a SURE-FIRE, FAST way to learn, one simply has to knuckle down and read, research, take notes and then ask questions... Growers post on these sites to help others so do some research on your question first then ask for help....we all come from different backgrounds with different skills and knowledge and education, so it is not just you feeling an overwhelmed feeling when faced with the huge landslide of knowledge you find on growsites.

These pdf's are a good place to start.

Dont let the overload of info scare you....begin with researching the basics... seed to seedling to vegging plant to flowering plant.

Read up on grow tents, even if you are not intending to use one....they are a good study in trying to achieve and maintain an independent grow environment.

When you are ready to proceed and put together a grow room, start a thread on the topic, outline your needs, your grow area, your idea's on wh@you might achieve. There will surely be fellow growers willing to offer suggestions and advice, but for the most part you must do it yourself based on feedback from grow forums or vids on the subject. You CANNOT rely on other growers walking you through every step of your grow, you have to learn this yourself, though other growers will follow you through your grow and are sure to offer advice, suggestions, observations and such...

I strongly suggest getting a spiral notebook or similar and begin writing down notes.
You dont need to copy entire texts, but write down helpful things...

Here's a few for the first page :D
• one can expect to harvest approximately 1 oz of bud for each 12" of vertical growth

• to cure bud, jar it up with a hygrometer/rh meter...start with 70% rh and burp regularly, they can be dried anywhere down to 45%-55% rh and be within the smokable range, lower if preferred

• lights should be close enough that one can hold the hand palm-downwards at canopy level and NOT burn the back of one's hand

• approximate area coverage of HPS
- 150W/175W=2'x2'
- 250W=3'x3'
- 400W=4'x4'
- 600W=6.5'x6.5'
- 1000W=8'x8'

• keep soil ph between 6.3 and 6.8 for ideal growth - hydro ph between 5.5 and 6.1 for ideal growth

• below 15*C/59*F and above 30*C/86*F temps can inhibit plant growth

• keep rh @ 50%-60% during veg - lowering during flower to 40%rh or lower if possible

• plants need 12 hrs UNINTERRUPTED dark period during flowering, stick with this rule if lighting mishaps occur - just ensure the plant has 12 hrs dark or even longer to set the timing right again if lighting mishaps occur - NEVER LESS than 12 hrs dark during the flowering period

• use tipping, fimming and supercropping to increase yield

• keep certain things on-hand if possible: Epsom salts, ph down and ph up, Avermectin, Neem oil, Hydrogen Peroxide, Pyrethrin, saposoidal fatty acid soap

• to flush the SOIL/MEDIUM, run ph'ed water approximately 3 times the volume of the pot EXAMPLE: flush a 5 gallon pot with 12-15 gallons of ph'ed water

• to flush the PLANT prior to harvesting, stop feeding the plant approximately 7-14 days before harvest and feed only ph'ed water - stop watering 2-4 days before harvest

• cannabis is extracted with solvents, oils or fats

• capture 3 samples of pests and test treatments on them for most effective one

muA

View attachment ILGM-plantcare.pdf View attachment ILGM-marijuana-grow-bible.pdf View attachment ebook_cannabisProductionGuide_web.pdf
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Take your time and read through the grow forums. Coming to growing Cannabis from a background of black thumbs myself the best thing I can suggest is READ... yes, its overwhelming to begin with but as you become more familiar with the life cycle and needs of Cannabis it will begin to gel together and make sense....there IS NO set and forget method of growing nor a SURE-FIRE, FAST way to learn, one simply has to knuckle down and read, research, take notes and then ask questions... Growers post on these sites to help others so do some research on your question first then ask for help....we all come from different backgrounds with different skills and knowledge and education, so it is not just you feeling an overwhelmed feeling when faced with the huge landslide of knowledge you find on growsites.

These pdf's are a good place to start.

Dont let the overload of info scare you....begin with researching the basics... seed to seedling to vegging plant to flowering plant.

Read up on grow tents, even if you are not intending to use one....they are a good study in trying to achieve and maintain an independent grow environment.

When you are ready to proceed and put together a grow room, start a thread on the topic, outline your needs, your grow area, your idea's on wh@you might achieve. There will surely be fellow growers willing to offer suggestions and advice, but for the most part you must do it yourself based on feedback from grow forums or vids on the subject. You CANNOT rely on other growers walking you through every step of your grow, you have to learn this yourself, though other growers will follow you through your grow and are sure to offer advice, suggestions, observations and such...

I strongly suggest getting a spiral notebook or similar and begin writing down notes.
You dont need to copy entire texts, but write down helpful things...

Here's a few for the first page :D
• one can expect to harvest approximately 1 oz of bud for each 12" of vertical growth

• to cure bud, jar it up with a hygrometer/rh meter...start with 70% rh and burp regularly, they can be dried anywhere down to 45%-55% rh and be within the smokable range, lower if preferred

• lights should be close enough that one can hold the hand palm-downwards at canopy level and NOT burn the back of one's hand

• approximate area coverage of HPS
- 150W/175W=2'x2'
- 250W=3'x3'
- 400W=4'x4'
- 600W=6.5'x6.5'
- 1000W=8'x8'

• keep soil ph between 6.3 and 6.8 for ideal growth - hydro ph between 5.5 and 6.1 for ideal growth

• below 15*C/59*F and above 30*C/86*F temps can inhibit plant growth

• keep rh @ 50%-60% during veg - lowering during flower to 40%rh or lower if possible

• plants need 12 hrs UNINTERRUPTED dark period during flowering, stick with this rule if lighting mishaps occur - just ensure the plant has 12 hrs dark or even longer to set the timing right again if lighting mishaps occur - NEVER LESS than 12 hrs dark during the flowering period

• use tipping, fimming and supercropping to increase yield

• keep certain things on-hand if possible: Epsom salts, ph down and ph up, Avermectin, Neem oil, Hydrogen Peroxide, Pyrethrin, saposoidal fatty acid soap

• to flush the SOIL/MEDIUM, run ph'ed water approximately 3 times the volume of the pot EXAMPLE: flush a 5 gallon pot with 12-15 gallons of ph'ed water

• to flush the PLANT prior to harvesting, stop feeding the plant approximately 7-14 days before harvest and feed only ph'ed water - stop watering 2-4 days before harvest

• cannabis is extracted with solvents, oils or fats

• capture 3 samples of pests and test treatments on them for most effective one

muA
Great info you gave.
.BUT..

If this is the Real "D"eal..you're gonna get played...:nailbiting: :p

M

mediuseA

Glad to share the info and thanks, but I am confused by your answer?

muA

M

mediuseA

**lights giant spliff using tatty giant novelty hulkhand and yellow pointing hand with half-broken finger dangling** kk, got it now....for a moment there I thought I was having a 'stoner moment' muahahahaa

oh, well...the info is free, its now out there for the OP or any other viewer to learn from :D hehehe

muA

M

mediuseA

The ebook on cannabis production is an industry manual....most informative and worth a look for growers of all skill levels.

muA

M

mediuseA

good point there...these are just rules of thumb...if the stems are 3' tall but the bud is only growing on the top 12" it also differs.. :D hehehe

but 1oz per 12" of decently budding cola would be more accurate.

muA

Top Bottom