Defoiliating During Flowering

• Thread starter jackwhite
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jackwhite

jackwhite

Ive been cutting weak flowering sites and plucking leafs every few days. My question is, isthere a cut off point on when Not to do this? im in week 4 and i plan to cont elimanating any weak flowering sites. ususlly the middle growth. I do not want to do it all at once since i do not want to hermie or shock the plant.

if im in week 6-7 can i cont to defoilate? or is week 4 the cut off point?

jackwhite

jackwhite

...never cut healthy, adult leaves...

this did nothing to answer my question. i understand if i was growing outside i wouldnt take any fan leaves off but im in doors and i ve defoilated to get bigger yields but ive always done it late veg to early flower.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

I usually do my main clean out by week 3. I do continue to pluck leafs until harvest. Some of my OGs end up with very few fans leafs when I'm done. Every strain reacts different, so don't get to crazy with it until you learn the plant.

jackwhite

jackwhite

If you want "bigger yield", don't remove what makes the buds bigger. Don't remove the leaves. Yes, all the information is there, in the videos. "Outside", "inside", doesn't matter..

Why you newer growers think defoliation is a good thing, is pseudoscience at its best. I posted larger name brands; Jorge Cervantes and Robert Bergman, so it wouldn't sound like my information, but clearly the fact that you don't know who these guys are, doesn't help.

Why would you think removing leaves helps growth? Wheres the logic, when 99% of all the photosynthetic activity comes from the leaf? Where do sugars come from, to grow more, when all the leaves are gone? Where do hormones come from, when all the leaves are gone? Where does the proteins and amino acids come from, when all the leaves are gone?

Don't be swayed by the illusion of appearance alone. I understand the bud looks bigger, and the burn or damaged leaves are gone, and only the younger (undamaged) leaves remain, but that's just empirical observation, and not real science. Of course it "looks better", as there's nothing to compare it to after you stripped it.

My advice to you is to stop listening to those garbage "schwazzing" videos, and instead, start watching the free college videos on botany.
Who said I dont know who those guys are? and who said I dont know the science? who said I dont know the marijuana botany? outside in nature it makes sense not to remove fan leaves but when growing inside in a controlled environment the rules of the game changes.
You know nothing about my background or about whatt I know or done. removi g fan leaves to expose buds and also help control humidity and deeper light penetration does help and ive seen no diff.
you are here just to troll. go back to cleaning your room b4 your mommy gets upset with you

jackwhite

jackwhite

I wasn't insulting you, I'm not trolling, and you're correct that I don't know your background. The fact that you're trying to "defoliate" for larger yield, is just silly, and so, by referring you to actual science, in my mind, I was helping you. If you like I can post to you "free" college courses, in video format.

Cannabis acts no different inside or out, as far as leaves go; leaves are, leaves are, leaves are, leaves... All act the same way, generally. Bud sites and flowers do not require light, leaves do.

...and I'm sorry if you don't want my help, and that's fine, as that's all I was trying to provide. I have no problem bowing out of this conversation at this point, unless you respond to me. Good day sir..
growing outdoors do not defoilate
growing indoors defoilation helps
why? outdoors plants need every leaf to fight off bugs, mold, pest, diseases
indoors in a bug free, sealed room, controlled environment diff set of rules

dan1989

dan1989

If I might add, I myself do remove fan leaves in veg growth, the lowest ones to keep the plant tidy and it's pretty hard to lollipop a plant without removing any. As for flowering, rather than cut them off I like to tuck them out of the way, allowing light to reach lower bud sites beneath the canopy. It is my understanding that the only time removing fan leaves is necessary is shortly before harvest, to make the plant dry out quicker and plus they serve no purpose once the plant is ready. It is safe to do in late flowering as the plant is way too mature to become hermie. It is not recommended during early flowering to remove large amounts of fan leaves unless you have no other choice as the plant is vulnerable to hermieism. Yellowed leaves in my opinion do not need fully removing, I was told to just cut the dead area off leaving at least SOME leaf to continue absorbing the light. I'm not claiming this to be fact, it is my interpretation of things I've heard/read/TRIED. The only way you will ever know for sure is to try it yourself.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

I my self remove leafs and nods but I try to do as much as I can in veg I don't want to stress the plant out
I have done it late in flower did not see any thing bad come from it I can see how taking the food aka (leaf) storage away will hurt it
like I would never cut leafs on a auto bc it will cut yield so after all my blah blah blah

id say cut what u want gone in veg let heal for a week maybe a lil longer then put in flower wont stretch so bad bc its trying to recover and keep the nods close then if u see leafs later on tuck them under or move it out of the way of the bud it is blocking

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You should be removing poor bud sites, not the leaves. Why? The leaves are where photosynthesis occurs, and photosynthesis is what drives every other function of the plant. Can you drive a car without a motor?

Just pinch off the poor bud sites, feel free to continue pinching any that pop up during flower. IME with indoor cultivation that can happen almost all the way through flowering. We don't want pissy little popcorn buds, and they are what's taking flowering energy away from your best buds. This will not stress the plant, however, removing too many fan leaves (again, these are the engine of the plant in combination with transpiration, which, again, is made more difficult by removing fan leaves) will.

dan1989

dan1989

You should be removing poor bud sites, not the leaves. Why? The leaves are where photosynthesis occurs, and photosynthesis is what drives every other function of the plant. Can you drive a car without a motor?

Just pinch off the poor bud sites, feel free to continue pinching any that pop up during flower. IME with indoor cultivation that can happen almost all the way through flowering. We don't want pissy little popcorn buds, and they are what's taking flowering energy away from your best buds. This will not stress the plant, however, removing too many fan leaves (again, these are the engine of the plant in combination with transpiration, which, again, is made more difficult by removing fan leaves) will.

So you'd say that removing the non productive bud sites is safe all the way through?

jackwhite

jackwhite

thank you for answering my question. ive been removing weak lanky bud sites.

jackwhite

jackwhite

also taking away fan leaves that are on top of bud sites or shadowing areas of growth is okay as well. a few leafs here andthere have not shocked my previous crops only helped increase weight. if the strain is very leafy then i pluck..never had an issue. like my question said ive always done this in veg to early flower. never after week 3 of flower.

S

SHIRDABZALOT

If I had a dollar for everytime these so called pot authors were wrong in there books.......I wouldn't need to grow pot. I've seen defoliating most every leaf work like a charm. My low yields top 2 a light.....so people can take there "youtube jockey" status and shove it. That being said it is strain dependent. Every grow room is a different environment......only makes sense that every grow room will have its own set of parameters that need to be addressed. You can't dial in your room with a fucking book.....or youtube. It's called experience. I have taken and passed horticulture production and botany classes at collegiate level and I can honestly tell you I have taught myself way more than a text book will provide you. You can go to college your whole life and still be a moron when you step out in the real world with real problems.

S

SHIRDABZALOT

Not mad at all, more like I laugh at people's surety and inexperience that convinces them that something isn't plausible or possible. I was this person at one time and a lifelong journey of trials and tribulations tell me a different story now. Sorry if my texts come off assholey, not my intent; rather it is to get people to approach things more open minded.

BigBeeBud

BigBeeBud

Ive been cutting weak flowering sites and plucking leafs every few days. My question is, isthere a cut off point on when Not to do this? im in week 4 and i plan to cont elimanating any weak flowering sites. ususlly the middle growth. I do not want to do it all at once since i do not want to hermie or shock the plant.

if im in week 6-7 can i cont to defoilate? or is week 4 the cut off point?
If you don't have enough light to penetrate lower branches, some lollipop done in Veg is how I do it. More light is the answer. But if not an option it does help top buds to remove some lower branches. Some strains respond better to this technique than others. I agree about not removing leaves during flowering.

Latest posts

Top Bottom