Defoliate Or Don't?

• Thread starter KlipschGuy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

Wanted to get some other opinions on your thoughts on Defoliation. I've been defoliating ever since I tried it for the first time about 3 years ago. I do top a couple times, don't lollipop and do take leaves about every 3 weeks. These are pic's of a couple I have and got about a week yet till harvest, started flushing about 3 days ago.
Defoliate or dont
Defoliate or dont 2
Defoliate or dont 3

Hydro head

Hydro head

It is strain dependent, if u been doing it all the way through u should b ok, strain I’m growing likes to have some leaf removed and fattens up well, looking at ur pics they don’t seem overly leafy so up to u really,

Dunge

Dunge

Wanted to get some other opinions on your thoughts on Defoliation. I've been defoliating ever since I tried it for the first time about 3 years ago.
Do You have a strategy?
I have been working on general pruning for years, but have yet to find that feel for when a fan should go.
As of late I have been "managing" a mite population, so in wanted to remove some veg to allow for more complete spray coverage.
The result seems good.

If one thinks of the fans as the primary productivity engines, then they should be preserved.
If they are also nutrient repositories, then in a well nutrified environment, they may not be as important to the plant.

I have always thought that light hitting the floor was a bad thing.
Not so sure any more.

BioStimz

BioStimz

The more leaves you take off.... the less terps you'll end up with.

~

Leew421

Leew421

I don't understand that. I get leaves are part of photosynthesis but not sure I follow the terps aspect of the comment. You have literature you can add?

BioStimz

BioStimz

I don't understand that. I get leaves are part of photosynthesis but not sure I follow the terps aspect of the comment. You have literature you can add?

In addition to cannabinoids, glandular trichomes secrete and store secondary metabolites, namely terpenes.

Did you realize that there a 6-different trichome structures in Cannabis?

Fpls 07 00019 g003 1

FIGURE 3. Hemp trichome types. (A)Unicellular non-glandular trichome; (B) cystolythic trichomes; (C) capitate sessile trichome; (D) capitate-stalked trichome; (E) simple bulbous trichome; (F) complex bulbous trichome. Images kindly provided by Dr. David J. Potter.

Capitate-sessile, capitate-stalked and bulbous trichomes are secretory structures, which have been confirmed in flowers, roots, and leaves of pistillate Cannabis plants.

Non-inflorescence leaves produce a lower density of glandular trichomes than the flowers - however, they still collectively contribute to the secretion and storage of terpenes.

I'll look for my references when I get a chance.

Nonetheless.... it pains me to see how some folks rape their plants in an effort to get light to the lower canopy, ect.

~

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

Definitely strain dependent. I've found defoliation is more effective on indica dominate stains, although I will defoliate sativas too, if they happen to be leafy. I just harvested 10 indica dominant strains, 9 defoliated and 1 not, same strain, all vegged and trained identically and no lollipop. Harvested almost 4 and a 1\2 zips dry per defoliated plant and the single none defoliated came in at a pissy 2 and a 1/2 dry, and a lot of it is going straight to hash because it's weak growth. Buds are much denser on the defoliated also. Smell seems about equal. I don't do extreme defoliation, I just take a bag full every 2 to 3 weeks. I leave plenty. I have 2 yet, that are shown above and I'm planning on 5+ zips a piece on them.

Last edited:
KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

I take everybody's opinion as value but I'm just saying side by side the evidence don't lie (for me). I feel if a plant is getting adequate nutes then most fan leaves are just storage and these leaves are the first to drop off if nutrients become scarce, and I believe they have extra as a defense mechanism in case of an attack by predators. There's many agricultural species that benefit largely from defoliation but what works for me may not work for you so it's trial and error.

S

Shawnery

The more leaves you take off.... the less terps you'll end up with.

~
I'm new to growing but learning fast and Cannabis leaves, all leaves for that matter, have a life span. I would assume that any concern for the loss of terpenes would be made up for by the drain on growth that older leaves can have. After a certain point leaves will consume more energy then they produce. It's beneficial for the remaining younger leaves and the plant in general to remove older leaves. If you pay close attention to the structure and feel of the leaves it will become clear which ones are keepers and which ones are losers.

BioStimz

BioStimz

I'm new to growing but learning fast and Cannabis leaves, all leaves for that matter, have a life span. I would assume that any concern for the loss of terpenes would be made up for by the drain on growth that older leaves can have. After a certain point leaves will consume more energy then they produce. It's beneficial for the remaining younger leaves and the plant in general to remove older leaves. If you pay close attention to the structure and feel of the leaves it will become clear which ones are keepers and which ones are losers.

Thanks for sharing. In terms of terpene synthesis & defoliation.... it's just over-defoliating that I avoid. The increase in yield is always a welcomed benefit.

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

If your a good enough grower, you can keep a plant healthy and vigorous and never lose a leaf all the way threw veg and bloom. I run a lengthy flush so my plants look dead by the time they get chopped, but I mean if your losing leaves, odd colored leaves then that's the plant saying it's not happy about something.
I'm thinking if you pull more weight per plant by defoliating then maybe the plants is getting more energy by not having to maintain so many leaves. I'm having a hard time finding why a defoliated plant will produce more weight but not have the energy to produce more terpenes. I think there's millions of theories about why defoliating is wrong and not enough research as to why it may be helpful.

Last edited:
S

Shawnery

The below is an exert from the following page but there are others that support this belief.
http://marijuanagrowershq.com/removing-cannabis-leaves-to-maximize-light/

As the leaves on the plant begin to age, they eventually reach a point where photosynthesis peaks and begins to slow. At this point, the leaves are less efficient, and glucose productions declines. New leaves grow in to replace them as the primary solar panels, allowing more efficient photosynthesis to continue. The older, less efficient, leaves begin to work much like the root system, distributing their stored nutrients and plant sugars to wherever it is needed. When they have no more nutrients left to redistribute, these leaves will begin to yellow, and eventually fall from the plant

BioStimz

BioStimz

I'm thinking if you pull more weight per plant by defoliating then maybe the plants is getting more energy by not having tomaintain so many leaves.
Cannabis obtains it's primary source of energy [from] the leaves. The terpenes will still be found in the trichomes of the bud.... it's just that the terpene profile is altered when you over-defoliate.

I'm having a hard time finding why a defoliated plant will produce more weight but not have the energy to produce more terpenes.
I was referring to the loss of terpene synthesis & storage pools in the chloroplasts of the leaves.

I think there's millions of theories about why defoliating is wrong and not enough research as to why it may be helpful.
I personally like a moderate defoliation after the switch to 12/12... I just try to avoid defoliating too early & too much.

~

Last edited:
BioStimz

BioStimz

but I mean if your losing leaves, odd colored leaves then that's the plant saying it's not happy about something.
I should have been more precise. I'm referring to excessive green-leaf defoliation.

~

Westie

Westie

What about defoliating right before 2 weeks of flushing? (coco)

Latest posts

Top Bottom