Defoliation Side By Side - Bushy Plants

• Thread starter FatManatee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Snakeskins

Snakeskins

I actually use a led that can only be used for flowering because it has only mainly red diodes. I use fluorescents to veg with.

FatManatee

FatManatee

I ended up pruning three days earlier then expected (day 18 flower), as the stretch ended earlier then I expected, and the plants had shifted to full bud production.

In the attached pictures it may seem that I did not chop a lot of leaves, as there's so many to begin with! However I chopped a total of 82,9 grams, so nearly 30 grams per plant. Once the plants start maturing, I'm expecting the foliage to open up a little more as the weight of the buds will bend the stems. By the end, the plants should look much different from the control group.

The plants that were pruned are the three on the right side of the tent.
I'll keep you posted!

Lr3   Copy
Lr2   Copy
LR11   Copy
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I ended up pruning three days earlier then expected (day 18 flower), as the stretch ended earlier then I expected, and the plants had shifted to full bud production.

In the attached pictures it may seem that I did not chop a lot of leaves, as there's so many to begin with! However I chopped a total of 82,9 grams, so nearly 30 grams per plant. Once the plants start maturing, I'm expecting the foliage to open up a little more as the weight of the buds will bend the stems. By the end, the plants should look much different from the control group.

I'll keep you posted!

This is not heavy defoliation. Pretty mild actually.

Monster762

Monster762

I'll keep you posted!
Yeah I pull like 50 leaves n looks like I didn’t do anything. I’m trying first scrog
What size is this box n what’s you’re average yield in here. It looks pretty similar to my box. I’m running blotto ogk clones from my mother plant I just lost.

FatManatee

FatManatee

The plants have adjusted from the defoliation and the leaves have rearranged themselves, so it's easier to see how the light is passing through the plants now. They we're a bit wilted after the chop, so the images really didn't show how much leaves were cut out. There's definitely a lot more bud sites exposed on the chopped side.

Here's some pictures
1st, defoliation side
2nd, not defoliated
3rd both sides

Lbud
Rbud
Abud
Last edited:
FatManatee

FatManatee

This is not heavy defoliation. Pretty mild actually.
The pictures are lying A LOT on the amount of defoliation I did. Like I said I removed over 80 grams of leaves, a total of 4 liters = 1 gallon. I wouldn't say my defoliation is heavy, but it surely is not little either. It's really difficult to take photos which showcase how much difference there is, but to the human eye on the scene, the difference is quite obvious.

I added some new pictures in the thread which should showcase the difference a bit better.

FatManatee

FatManatee

Yeah I pull like 50 leaves n looks like I didn’t do anything. I’m trying first scrog
What size is this box n what’s you’re average yield in here. It looks pretty similar to my box. I’m running blotto ogk clones from my mother plant I just lost.
It's a 4x4 tent, my biggest yield has been 550 grams with a Viparspectra and a couple of random chinese blurple leds running together (total of 700 watts). I'm expecting yield to increase drastically, now that I have gotten the chance to upgrade to proper lights.

ps. Sorry for triple posting, it's been over a decade since I've been on a forum, and I really need to learn my multi quote's :'D

Monster762

Monster762

Do you typically defoliate in flower?
If you don’t defoliate won’t everything blocke
It's a 4x4 tent, my biggest yield has been 550 grams with a Viparspectra and a couple of random chinese blurple leds running together (total of 700 watts). I'm expecting yield to increase drastically, now that I have gotten the chance to upgrade to proper lights.

ps. Sorry for triple posting, it's been over a decade since I've been on a forum, and I really need to learn my multi quote's :'D
yeah I’d like to see 550 in my box. It’s 4x8 but 4x5 is a wall of buds. I got 2 hlg100s and a purple that’s 330w true draw. Rated 1200. I’m trying to break 12oz n I’ll be happy.

H

hawkman

Do a "heavy " defoliation in week 4 of veg and some also do a "heavy" defoliation in week 4 of flower - then 3 days before harvest remove all the fan leaves

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Do you fill out the entire growth space while doing that? I once only had two plants running, which took around a 3x3 space in my 4x4 tent, I had 0% popcorn bud on that run, only giant cola's down til the bottom of the plant. I speculate it's because the light bounced through the tent walls to the bottom of the plant.

And yeah, I realize it's the leaves doing the hard work to increase bud size, not the buds themselves. Just thinking that most likely bud development is at it's best when the buds nearest sugar/fan leaves get the light, instead of having the plant transport the resources from the top to the bottom.

I just can't wait to do this test, I'm optimistic I can improve yields with defoliation, however I'm prepared for the harvest to be reduced too. It's really frightening to cut down the leaves, when I have not done so before (well a few failed tests when I was starting this hobby and had no idea what I was doing, lol), and it will definitely be a shame if this experiment fails. But yeah, you can't get better without experimenting :)

My flower room is full again. Thought i would show you. Leaves rarely removed and almost no fluffy lowers. Average 6 jars solid buds to 1 jar bud leaves and loose bud after trimming per plant.

4D051EBB 296E 4FB5 A01F F9A33CB2B558

FatManatee

FatManatee

Flowering day 19, mini-update (2 days after pruning).

The shock from pruning definitely slowed down the growth of the top buds, as the none pruned side has swollen up a bit more. However the lower bud sites seem to be healthier on the pruned site, and especially the leaves that were lighter in color, from not getting as much light as the top canopy, are starting to darken with the increased light penetration.

If my predictions are correct, it will be expected that the pruned side will have smaller top colas, and bigger bottom nugs, compared to the control group.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

@3 balls
Yeah I've seen this "schwazzing" technique been mentioned on Royal Queen Seeds blog, and Growweedeasy. Haven't seen any side by sides on the topic, but IMO it really seems that it's a scam. Just doesn't make any sense that this would work, based on the knowledge I have on physics and chemistry.

It could be a great way to reduce stretching during flowering though, in tight spaces it might even increase yield to keep the plants short.

Maybe I'll try this in the future to see if it's a scam or not, so far I'm gonna be doubtful though :)

You can watch a full grow in time lapse that used this technique...

Top Bottom