Dewaxing Pros & Cons

• Thread starter AnselAdams
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Do you use a material & dewaxing column or just the dewaxing column?

• Dewaxing Column only.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Dewaxing column and material column.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't dewax at all, I use filtering only.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don't dewax at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I have seen the predominance of two type of dewaxing with a CLS. The first involves drying the material to less than 10% humidity. Then filling the column and freezing the whole kit & caboodle for at least 24 hours. At processing time, the column is removed from the freezer and immediately filled with dry ice in the column jacket.

There seems to be a lot of question to soak or not to soak. Community input would be greatly appreciated.

The other predominate method involves a separate material column before the dewaxing column and an extensive 60-90 min soak using dry ice and solvent bath in the column.

I would like to hear from community members about their experiences & preferences and why they feel that way; pro and con.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
MirrorZen

MirrorZen

You don't have to freeze a jacketed column (aka dewaxing column) prior to filling with the dry ice alcohol slurry. Just wait 15 minutes after filling with slurry, then run. I soaked columns for ten to fifteen minutes with solvent before opening the valve to the base. Pro: best quality ran coldest, clarity.
Con: less yield

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
You don't have to freeze a jacketed column (aka dewaxing column) prior to filling with the dry ice alcohol slurry. Just wait 15 minutes after filling with slurry, then run. I soaked columns for ten minutes with solvent before opening the valve to the base. Pro: best quality ran coldest, clarity.
Con: less yield

Thank You. I am guessing less yield because of the stripping of the fats, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom