Dewaxing Sleeve Soak Times & Ball Valve Issue(s)...

• Thread starter Shatterproof
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirte Bag

Dirte Bag

Recovery with a pump just involves sticking a pump in the line between the collection tank and the LPG storage tank. It just speeds things up, runs a colder collection tank, and can pull a deeper vacuum, so less LPG is lost in the cycle.

Starting out, the ball valve isolates the collection tank from the columns, so you can do things like bottom flood, as well as hold the solution in the dewax column long enough to precipitate out the waxes.

The evaporating LPG in the filter and plant material drops the temperature to below freezing, so the fats/lip are solids and stay put. They are also a solid at room temperature.
Does dewaxing have to take place in a separate column? My material column has a dewaxing sleeve around it, it's only 1.5" diameter. My current understanding (thanks GW) is:
1) Flood from below with - 20°F solvent (and up through the return hose to the collection vessel) one columns worth
2) allow another columns worth in and close both the top and feed valves
3) soak 3 minutes
4) dump (crack slowly) ball valve below column
5) flood from the top one columns worth.
6) close ball valve
7) place collection vessel in 85°F water
8) recover solvent to negative pressure
9) open ball valve to negative pressure at top guage
10) close ball valve
11) remove from water
12) vacuum collection vessel watching through sight glass until poofiness
13) slave like dog scraping cotton candy out of the pot.
Yes, no, sorta? Please fix/change whatever needs it GW. Thanks man ✌️

Graywolf

Graywolf

Does dewaxing have to take place in a separate column? My material column has a dewaxing sleeve around it, it's only 1.5" diameter. My current understanding (thanks GW) is:
1) Flood from below with - 20°F solvent (and up through the return hose to the collection vessel) one columns worth
2) allow another columns worth in and close both the top and feed valves
3) soak 3 minutes
4) dump (crack slowly) ball valve below column

Suggest crack vent valve first to relieve pressure, before opening dump valve.
5) flood from the top one columns worth.
6) close ball valve

I run with both the dump and vent valves open during recovery, until I hit negative pressure.
7) place collection vessel in 85°F water
8) recover solvent to negative pressure
9) open ball valve to negative pressure at top guage
10) close ball valve
11) remove from water

I leave in 70F water during final recovery
12) vacuum collection vessel watching through sight glass until poofiness
13) slave like dog scraping cotton candy out of the pot.

Stick in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour before removing and just whisk all but a light film into powder using a spatula. Pour that out and wipe or wash the remaining off the walls with ethanol and use for a tincture or recover the oil from it later.
Yes, no, sorta? Please fix/change whatever needs it GW. Thanks man ✌️

Graywolf

Graywolf

I extract at between -30C and -50C with two volumes from the bottom and one rinse from the top, before recovering to about -15 with the column valves open, and then closing off the column and heating to 150F, while recovering separately.

I recover the pot until the LPG is no longer in evidence, but the puddle is still producing blurpy bubbles, and shut off the recovery pump and turn on the high vacuum pump to inflate the puddle into foam. I recover until the foam loses it sheen, suggesting that it has dried in place, then carefully open a nitrogen backfill. If the foam starts to slump, I stop the backfill and vacuum some more.

Once it has dried in place, I backfill with nitrogen and stick the collection pot into a -18C/0F freezer for 30 minutes to an hour to further harden, then whisk it with a spatula to turn it into powder that I can pour out on parchment and finish in a vacuum oven.

Top Bottom