DIY "Arena" style VSCRoG v2.0

• Thread starter mrfixit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mrfixit

mrfixit

Minor photo update shy of a month later...

Flower 2WFlower 4wFlower 6wFlower 8w

mrfixit

mrfixit

Will it fill in the canopy later?
Not to the degree you are attempting, no.
My short term goals were to expose much more colas, with less LST work and maximizing light within a near zero budget. ;)
Also note, this is "v2.0" and some of your experiment may well integrate into "v3.0"!

mrfixit

mrfixit

Also, I fully admit to still being in an analysis mode relative to slow grows,trees and hedges versus denser, "younger/smaller" SOG style (vertical or otherwise).
Since I've spent a challenging last year with other grow issues, now that things are reasonably stable, I am still experimenting and despite loads of good info/growers out there, determining what meets my needs and personal criteria.
But it's still fun and that's a plus!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Mine is definitely a 1.0 attempt, lol! I'm getting a lot of advice, most of it very good. I'll post pics as I get my setup together and get things going.

For example, Capulator suggested I veg the plant in place in the trellis for 2-3 weeks. The strain I plan to use is incredibly stretchy- and it throws huge colas!

I have a truly staggering number of variables I'm at least trying to be aware of, let alone track. The main thing that will affect the yield of my run will be how well I get the plant to cover the canopy.

mrfixit

mrfixit

Mine is definitely a 1.0 attempt, lol! I'm getting a lot of advice, most of it very good. I'll post pics as I get my setup together and get things going.

For example, Capulator suggested I veg the plant in place in the trellis for 2-3 weeks. The strain I plan to use is incredibly stretchy- and it throws huge colas!

I have a truly staggering number of variables I'm at least trying to be aware of, let alone track. The main thing that will affect the yield of my run will be how well I get the plant to cover the canopy.

Well, my 2 piece unit was built on a concept of rolling out/exchanging another "half" from the veg area to allow just that, but relative to my current space layout (or lack thereof) I haven't been able to use it that way. I have found that the 4 non-scrogged plants can usually be rotated into place as scrogged plants are harvested, but it isn't as ideal as my original concept.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Since it is as large as it is in the middle, you could drop a 600 all the way down to the floor. I'm not suggesting you do necessarily, but the depth of the frame gives you the chance to get big lights deep down inside, and I think this is where the efficiency gains are. I like the idea of being able to 'rotate' plants in and out, and it led me to an idea; why not make a third half to your unit, and trellis plants into it in vegetative stage for a month, then replace one of your two other halves with it. Now, your rotation can happen with your frame! You could stack vertical cfl or t5 in front of the trellis half to grow the plants while in veg.

Anyway, it was a thought... lol

sebastien420

sebastien420

So this is my updated version of my "V" VSCRoG. The original "V" 2 sided version works well (look up my other posts) but had an inherent issue relative to a continuous grow cycle. This version separates into "halves" and can be cycled between veg and bloom, as well as it allows extension panels for the second half of growth.
Used 3/4" PVC, drywall screws instead of pricy eye hooks etc, and was able to keep costs down to a minimum. This version is 4'x4' but could easily be scaled up or down in size depending on your space or needs. And it's on wheels that will support/allow movement as a unit or in either half, making it easy to move a section out of veg into bloom. This one is scaled to have a fair amount of room for 2 5g smart pots on each side.
It is also ideal for vertical lighting (how I'll use it) but can work well with top and/or side lights also. I'll have a 1k HPS dropped down the center, a 400wMH for some extra canopy hardening and could also use tube florescent/mongo CFL or even LED for inside or backside lighting. It can be a straight sided "box" or the panels can be tilted individually to any angle and then held by either side chains between the panels or via to chains to the ceiling.

View attachment 222180 View attachment 222181 View attachment 222182 View attachment 222183 View attachment 222184
Im surprised the neibour didnt ask u ("WHAT THE FUCK R U BUILDING"?) , since u built it outside....lol...great knowledge and ideas, thx for sharing...

mrfixit

mrfixit

Since it is as large as it is in the middle, you could drop a 600 all the way down to the floor. I'm not suggesting you do necessarily, but the depth of the frame gives you the chance to get big lights deep down inside, and I think this is where the efficiency gains are. I like the idea of being able to 'rotate' plants in and out, and it led me to an idea; why not make a third half to your unit, and trellis plants into it in vegetative stage for a month, then replace one of your two other halves with it. Now, your rotation can happen with your frame! You could stack vertical cfl or t5 in front of the trellis half to grow the plants while in veg.

Anyway, it was a thought... lol

I actually did that (duplicate unit), just not enough floor space, but it is a functional method/model without a doubt. I also created a single "side" on a wood flap (pot width) that via 4 screws can be swapped loaded. Awkward but do-able. Still tinkering and wishing I had about 4' more floor space in each direction :-)

mrfixit

mrfixit

Some photo updates - 6 of the plants are in the 60-65 day range since flip. There are 6 strains as well so comparisons aren't applicable on this run. With future runs my goal is to have 3-4 of a same strain/plant age at any given moment.

2834W
MH 1BD 2W
Bagseed 5 Trichs 2W
JH 7 3W
MH 1 1W
MH 1 Trichs 2W

Top Bottom