Diy Cob... Could Someone Walk Me Through What I Have To Order?

• Thread starter closet
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

closet

Hi folks,

I want to get rid of my burble light in my 2x2 and would love to diy. I have a 2 x Vero 29 setup in mind. I would love to order the parts from digikey as I am in the EU. Only problem is, I dont really know what parts I have to get... it would be great if you guys could give a little support.

Thanks

sixstring

sixstring

I don't think digikey will have heatsinks.the Vero 29se is very easy to build with because they have solderless poke in connection.just need to decide on a cob first,how many and what voltage.then pick a driver and some heatsinks

sixstring

sixstring

Also cutter electronics will ship to eu and they have ready made kits,you just pick a wattage size kit and do the assembly

C

closet

I don't think digikey will have heatsinks.the Vero 29se is very easy to build with because they have solderless poke in connection.just need to decide on a cob first,how many and what voltage.then pick a driver and some heatsinks

Thanks for I would go for 2 Vero 29 3500k which i would run at 120w. I guess that would be a good start for my 2x2. I am a bit lost when i comes to the drivers tbh.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Thanks for I would go for 2 Vero 29 3500k which i would run at 120w. I guess that would be a good start for my 2x2. I am a bit lost when i comes to the drivers tbh.

What's the forward voltage of vero?

Toaster79

Toaster79

Excuse me? Pardon me but I am very new to diy led. This is what the product pages says about voltage.

Find the datasheet of the cob you're about to use and see what Vf has the cob at certain current (power) and go from there. At 36V you could find a 72V constant current driver that puts out about 1.6A if you wire in series or you could go searching for a 36V constant V driver that is gonna deliver about 3.3A current and wire parallel.

P=U×I

It's that simple.

C

closet

Find the datasheet of the cob you're about to use and see what Vf has the cob at certain current (power) and go from there. At 36V you could find a 72V constant current driver that puts out about 1.6A if you wire in series or you could go searching for a 36V constant V driver that is gonna deliver about 3.3A current and wire parallel.

P=U×I

It's that simple.

Ok. So if I wire in series i need 72v with 1.6A per led right? But what if I dont wire in series how does that work? Do I need two drivers then?

Toaster79

Toaster79

If you wire in series then the voltage adds and current stays the same. If younwire in parallel then the voltage stays the same and current divides between the cobs (adds up)

C

closet

If you wire in series then the voltage adds and current stays the same. If younwire in parallel then the voltage stays the same and current divides between the cobs (adds up)

Ok, now I got it. What is my best option in your opinion?

C

closet

You could use hlg h150-36 for a parallel wiring and turn it down a bit or run it full throttle as those veros can take it easily

Ok, thanks that helped a lot. I'll try to deep dive into this later that evening. But if I understood correctly I could use HBG-60-1400 for a single Vero 29 configuration at 60w, right?

Toaster79

Toaster79

Ok, thanks that helped a lot. I'll try to deep dive into this later that evening. But if I understood correctly I could use HBG-60-1400 for a single Vero 29 configuration at 60w, right?

Read the datasheet on that driver. It's 60W and 1400mA. That makes about 42V forward voltage. Your cob is 36V and at 1400mA that makes about 50W

Top Bottom