DIY Earthbox/Modded Hempy

• Thread starter leadsled
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Was inspired by mrdizzle dunking his balls in some hempy's. few member made some comments in his thread on how they modded there hempy. Tykaycha made suggestion to make the hempy little bit more like earthbox. Hopefully this will help others make theres.

You can make this easier and not have a wick and just stick perlite or hydroton in the bottom. (or your medium of choice) (hempy style)

Earth box has a res in the bottom with just water. can get the premade earthbox container screen,watering tube and lid for 30 bones from earthbox dot com if your not diy type.

These DIY buckets cost about $20.00 each.

The earth box is claimed to double your yield, and hempy's well look at dizzles thread.

I got some 6 footers in coco and am tired of dealing with runoff in saucers so whipped this together to test out.

Parts:
Rubber Maid totes 14gallon.53 litre is size I used. 7.50 at home de pot
Water Pots: 2.50 ea at home de pot (used for wick)
1.5' PVC Pipe .90 ea (preferrably hdpe piping)
Utility flags 2.99 for 10 (home de pot)
ebb and flow fittings not sure of cost had on hand. (few bucks at dro store)
4 pack of corks, 2.99 (found these at ACE/OSH)

Tools:
Drill
1/4" drill bit
Hole Saw (or proper step bit for driling ebb n flow)
Jig Saw
Round file or scalpel/razor blade (for cleaning up the burrs from drilling holes for roots)

I put 3 gallons of water in the container, Then measured. I needed the drain 2.5" up. Also ended up being 2.5" over for the center.

Marked where to drill for the drain
1-markdrain.jpg

Installed the ebb and flow fitting for the drain
2-installfitting.jpg

here is the waterpot, see the notch in the bottom. align that with the bottom of the rubbermaid container. (next pic) I put the waterpot down to 2.5 in height can use scissors for that. Sorry no pic of me cutting down the waterpot.

The water pot will be filled with rocks or perlite and serves as a wick.
3-waterpot.jpg

nub in bottom of rubbermaid. water pot sits here.
4-rubbermaid-bottom.jpg

put the waterpot in place and mark it, We are going cutout the bottom of the rubermaid slightly smaller than the waterpot. that way the waterpot helps to support the bottom of the rubbermaid.
5-waterpot-inside.jpg

here are the rubbermaids stacked
6-stacked.jpg

marked for cutting
4_5-rubbermaid-marked.jpg

drilled holes to help make cutting the bigger hole for the (wick) easier
7-drill-4-wick.jpg

then cut the hole. May be able to use snips if you do not have a jigsaw
8-saw-hole.jpg

cut out the hole. This is where the roots will wickup from the res using the perlite. Can use hydroton or some other medium of your choice.
9-saw-hole.jpg

water pot in place to server as a wick
10-wickinplace.jpg

top holes to hold pvc pipe and flag with cork. flag will lower as water level drops.
11-topholes.jpg

I cut the top so it will make the container stronger. (note: did not use in final pics, because my plants are already too larger to fit in the hole)

drill holes in the top rubbermaid to allow the roots to go into the res.

ok here is what is a pain in the ass. when you drill the holes there will be leftover nubs from drilling. Would be better to use a punch or countersink. Otherwise you have to follow up and clean up all the holes you drilled with a file or scalpel. Anyone have a better easier way please share.

could just put perlite.hydroton in the bottom and not use 2 containers. That is one of the differences between a earth box and hempy.

Earthbox has a plastic screen that sits abut 2-3" above the bottom of the container, That keeps the medium seperate from the res.

You could also probably put airstones in the res if you wanted to airate the res. May try that in the future. for now going to see how it works out.

12-cuttop-drill.jpg

here is the flag with cork. goes in the 1.5" pvc to show the water level in the bottom res.
13-flagcork.jpg

here is the flag and cork in place without any water in res.
14-flagin.jpg

hole that holds the pvc that holds the flag cork
15-holeforflag.jpg

drill some holes in the bottom of the 1.5" pvc pipe. That will let water in but keep perlite or rocks out.

Design Note: I used a smaller diameter pipe at first. 1".
But there was a problem. The flag was too heavy for the small cork. Meaning the flag would sink when put into water. So I swapped to a larger tube and larger cork size. Now the cork supports the weight of the flag and shows the water level in the bottom res.

If I was to add air stones I would route the air stone lines through the pvc.
16-flagtube.jpg

flag in
17-flagin.jpg

fill the wick and layer bottom with perlite
18-fillwick.jpg

75% big chunky perlite 25% coco.
19-perlitecoco.jpg

Transplant. This plant was in a 7 gallon container. Barely fits. Entire bottom of container is saturated in white fuzzy roots. Coco rules.
20-transplant.jpg

21-done.jpg

All set. Will post up my results in a few months. Tip or suggestions are appreciated. I cannot take credit for this, just took what others stated and put it into visuals.

Good growing!

T

TyKaycha

Looks good!
I've modified the way I'm building mine now. Got tired of all those steps. Once I get a couple more test runs under my belt, I'll put together a DIY too. But in a nutshell, uses landscaping fabric instead of two separate containers. I'm also testing using a homemade "smartpot" inside of a plastic container.

Lastly, I've changed my medium mixture away from completely soilless. Now I use a good potting mix, but mix in a ton of perlite. Working on the right ratio now. Have a couple test buckets with (soil/perlite) 50%/50%, 40%/60%, 30%/70%. Love the ease of hempy's & yield has been great - the only thing that lacks is in taste. Hoping the addition of soil along with some others soil amendments will get the taste where I like it.

Let me know when you start using your earthy-hempy bucket & if you post a journal. Would like to follow.

PS - Great job on the DIY too. Very easy to understand & the pics are clear and informative.

M

mrdizzle

thats great bro. great DIY life is going to be pretty fucking easy in that room

I would use dripclean and hit them with a lite dose(200ppm) every 3rd watering or so,

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Looks good!
I've modified the way I'm building mine now. Got tired of all those steps. Once I get a couple more test runs under my belt, I'll put together a DIY too. But in a nutshell, uses landscaping fabric instead of two separate containers. I'm also testing using a homemade "smartpot" inside of a plastic container.

Lastly, I've changed my medium mixture away from completely soilless. Now I use a good potting mix, but mix in a ton of perlite. Working on the right ratio now. Have a couple test buckets with (soil/perlite) 50%/50%, 40%/60%, 30%/70%. Love the ease of hempy's & yield has been great - the only thing that lacks is in taste. Hoping the addition of soil along with some others soil amendments will get the taste where I like it.

Let me know when you start using your earthy-hempy bucket & if you post a journal. Would like to follow.

PS - Great job on the DIY too. Very easy to understand & the pics are clear and informative.

Thanks for stopping by. Cleaning out the top container holes after harvest may be a pain in the ass. I was in a rush and ideally wanted to find a screen similar to the earthbox. Thought about the weed barrier or landscape cloth like a smartpot but would need a frame to hold it up. Hey your idea covers that though.

The other problem I thought about with the method you describe, was the roots extending into the res. With fabric the roots will get pruned and not extend into the res. I assumed I would not want to use a smart pot type of fabric.

Here is why, If i have a smart pot in a saucer with water the roots may extend out the bag. Otherwise they get air pruned and die off. Doesnt that defeat the purpose of having the roots extend into the res. When I ran dwc buckets. When the plants really took off once the roots hit the water.

Do you find this is not the case with the fabric your using?

Here is what I was going off of. There is one white root because some water sat in the saucer. But all the other roots got air pruned.
smartpot.jpg

I do like your idea, could sew together a smart pot type of teabag that hangs down. Then can toss it when done and no worries about cleaning out a gazillion holes where germs etc can hide.

am I just overthinking the part about air pruning?

since the roots will be in water then then they do not get air pruned?

My current grow journal will be using 2 of these. Transplanted them last night and flipping to flower tonight.

Your taste comment was for you using using perlite/vermiculite or coco?

coco delivers on the flavor.

Do you use any teas or organics? I find can amend the chemical ferts with some organics and bring out the flavor and colors. floranova, pbp or pura vida and/or some compost tea seems to do it.

thats great bro. great DIY life is going to be pretty fucking easy in that room

I would use dripclean and hit them with a lite dose(200ppm) every 3rd watering or so,

Thanks for stopping by and starting your thread. Wish I saw it sooner :). Just going with 2 buckets for now.

When I got drip clean guys at dro store stated to use it every feed start to end. stated, ok to not use when watering but otherwise with every feeds.

The guy at the store claimed the plants can do some weird stuff if you do not use it like that.

Hmm, scam to get me to buy more drip clean or solid advice?

Appreciate you guys stopping by. Glad the diy is clear.

T

TyKaycha

Sent ya a pm before I read your post here but I'll mention what I pm'ed.
Note to others reading, I'm still testing things out so take everything with a toke of smoke (instead pinch of salt! Haha!).

Right now I have two bucket designs - Basically the same in that they both have a pvc pipe going down the inside wall. The bottom 2 inches of the pipe is drilled out with a bunch of holes. Inside the pvc tube I use a utility marker flag stuck into a cork, the flag is marked so I know the 2-inch mark. I add water using the tube (except for the inital watering which is top-watered until the flag moves up to the marked point, also I do a monthly top-watering with CrystalClear Biological Clarifier+ - guessing this is similar to DripClean but not sure as I've never checked out DripClean - also use CrystalClear in every tube watering - keeps everything crystal clear & clean...go figure!). I also use a lid with two holes cut out, 1 for the pvc water tube/pipe, the other for the plant obviously. The lid helps minimize evaporation loss which in turn reduces watering needs. The flag helps me at a glance determine if watering is need for that specific plant.

Now the two different style buckets: each has the watering tube/pipe but one of them I have the end wrapped in 30yr landscaping fabric/weed block & ziptied. The other, pipe isn't wrapped but instead using a "container" made from the landscaping fabric, inside the bucket.

I fill both buckets pretty much the same way - bottom 3 inches is a mix of perlite & lava rock (rinsed thoroughly), except for the center 3 inches which is filled with my potting mix/perlite mixture and right now some coco as I had some laying around but I don't think future runs will have coco. I do have a bucket & fabric pot that has some bioballs in the bottom of the bucket before the pot was placed in & no 3 inches of lava/perlite in the bottom of the fabric pot - just potting mix/perlite mixture

So far I'm liking the fabric pot inside the bucket better just because should I every need to quick flush I can just pull the fabric pot out, give my girl a good "douching" and put it into a clean/cleaned bucket. But the wrapped pipe is waaay easier to construct. Someday I might try installing a drainplug near the side bottom of the buckets.

Nutes, Additives & Amendments List:
1) Osmocote - a Controlled Release Fertilizer (CRF); right now using the standard as I couldn't find a local source of the Plus (just got a lead last night as to where some Plus might be sold locally so next run might mix the standard & plus until I run out of standard)
2) FloraNova Grow & Bloom - using this now as I'm trying to use up my overpriced hydro-shop liquid nutes; once they're used up I'm going to try Grow More's Sea Grow. (Trying to get away from liquid nutes, once opened their shelf life sucks, plus super expensive compared to a granular water soluble nute)
3) RhizoFuel - soil amend; similar to Great White and other products but cheaper.
4) GreenSand - soil amend; Azomite works well too but I can't find it locally
5) Diatomaceous Earth - soil amend & medium's top 1-inch layer (keeps pesky pests away & adds silica which helps strengthen the plant)
Other things I'm using right now just because I have some leftover: OceanSolution & Snow Storm Ultra as foliar sprays (I also use OceanSolution in my initial top-watering & occasionally regular feedings). In the future will try runs without Snow Storm, but will probably continue using a small amount of OceanSolution from time to time (has trace nutes that I'm not sure other amendments/additives contain)

Potting mix I recommend: Fafard's Professional potting mix

Links for more info:

http://rhizofuel.com/
Had a link to a scientific study that was done using both CRF & water soluble nutes and various combo of nutes and the best yield was from using a combination of CRF & water soluble nutes. If I find it again, I'll try to remember to post it here.

Right now trying not to field too many questions (i.e. - how much of this, how much of that, etc, etc, etc...) but seeing as you have already built a box & starting a run, I'll try to help out as much as I can. Hopefully in a month or so I'll be setting up a buddy's new room, building new buckets & mixing up my medium mixture so I can do a DIY with pics.

Just FYI but here's my parameters: keep things as cheap as possible but going cheap doesn't need to mean doing things half-assed -just don't see the need to pay for so-called cannabis nutes from the overpriced hydro-shops; keep the day-to-day maintenance simple (initial setup is going to be a bit of a pain but nothing like DoubleD's MPBs!); still have a great yield (hempy buckets can yield huge! maybe not MPB huge, but then again I've never vegged in hempy's for as long as MPBs need to be vegged); and have the great taste of the best soil grown.

Problem with straight regular hempy buckets: lack of taste I'm guessing due to lack of all the different micro & secondary nutrients & possibly the synergy of mycorrhizal, bacteria & fungi. Hence my quest to reach that Golden Bud!

Whew! Wasn't expecting to type to much on it right now! Not even sure if it all makes sense to a reader! Been enjoying some C99 and it always gets me going off on tangents!

T

TyKaycha

Forgot to mention I'm also considering adding in some molasses or sucanat every once in a while too to keep the mycorrhizal & bacteria happy - not too much as you want them paying attention to your roots and not just gouging themselves on molasses/sucanat.

T

TyKaycha

So before I start getting pm's asking why not just top-water and not have to mess with constructing buckets with feeding tubes.
In a nutshell (well hopefully in a nutshell...): every living thing including plants take a shit (expel waste). Outside in the ground, a plant's "shit" is flushed away from the plant by rain. In a container, it goes to the bottom. Would you like to be standing in a pile of your own excrement? I think not. So that's why I wanted to find a way to feed my ladies without disturbing their waste. Wicking solves that. I do the monthly topwatering with CrystalClear to help get rid of the plant's "shit".

T

TyKaycha

Leadsled - I apologize for completely steamrolling over your thread. Hopefully though you and others will find the info helpful for now (and control the pm's too)

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Pic of tubs with plants. (note: the flags are not in on this pic)
rightside-day1.jpg

Sent ya a pm before I read your post here but I'll mention what I pm'ed.
Note to others reading, I'm still testing things out so take everything with a toke of smoke (instead pinch of salt! Haha!).

Right now I have two bucket designs - Basically the same in that they both have a pvc pipe going down the inside wall. The bottom 2 inches of the pipe is drilled out with a bunch of holes. Inside the pvc tube I use a utility marker flag stuck into a cork, the flag is marked so I know the 2-inch mark. I add water using the tube (except for the inital watering which is top-watered until the flag moves up to the marked point, also I do a monthly top-watering with CrystalClear Biological Clarifier+ - guessing this is similar to DripClean but not sure as I've never checked out DripClean - also use CrystalClear in every tube watering - keeps everything crystal clear & clean...go figure!). I also use a lid with two holes cut out, 1 for the pvc water tube/pipe, the other for the plant obviously. The lid helps minimize evaporation loss which in turn reduces watering needs. The flag helps me at a glance determine if watering is need for that specific plant.

Now the two different style buckets: each has the watering tube/pipe but one of them I have the end wrapped in 30yr landscaping fabric/weed block & ziptied. The other, pipe isn't wrapped but instead using a "container" made from the landscaping fabric, inside the bucket.

I fill both buckets pretty much the same way - bottom 3 inches is a mix of perlite & lava rock (rinsed thoroughly), except for the center 3 inches which is filled with my potting mix/perlite mixture and right now some coco as I had some laying around but I don't think future runs will have coco. I do have a bucket & fabric pot that has some bioballs in the bottom of the bucket before the pot was placed in & no 3 inches of lava/perlite in the bottom of the fabric pot - just potting mix/perlite mixture

So far I'm liking the fabric pot inside the bucket better just because should I every need to quick flush I can just pull the fabric pot out, give my girl a good "douching" and put it into a clean/cleaned bucket. But the wrapped pipe is waaay easier to construct. Someday I might try installing a drainplug near the side bottom of the buckets.

Nutes, Additives & Amendments List:
1) Osmocote - a Controlled Release Fertilizer (CRF); right now using the standard as I couldn't find a local source of the Plus (just got a lead last night as to where some Plus might be sold locally so next run might mix the standard & plus until I run out of standard)
2) FloraNova Grow & Bloom - using this now as I'm trying to use up my overpriced hydro-shop liquid nutes; once they're used up I'm going to try Grow More's Sea Grow. (Trying to get away from liquid nutes, once opened their shelf life sucks, plus super expensive compared to a granular water soluble nute)
3) RhizoFuel - soil amend; similar to Great White and other products but cheaper.
4) GreenSand - soil amend; Azomite works well too but I can't find it locally
5) Diatomaceous Earth - soil amend & medium's top 1-inch layer (keeps pesky pests away & adds silica which helps strengthen the plant)
Other things I'm using right now just because I have some leftover: OceanSolution & Snow Storm Ultra as foliar sprays (I also use OceanSolution in my initial top-watering & occasionally regular feedings). In the future will try runs without Snow Storm, but will probably continue using a small amount of OceanSolution from time to time (has trace nutes that I'm not sure other amendments/additives contain)

Potting mix I recommend: Fafard's Professional potting mix

Links for more info:

http://rhizofuel.com/
Had a link to a scientific study that was done using both CRF & water soluble nutes and various combo of nutes and the best yield was from using a combination of CRF & water soluble nutes. If I find it again, I'll try to remember to post it here.

Right now trying not to field too many questions (i.e. - how much of this, how much of that, etc, etc, etc...) but seeing as you have already built a box & starting a run, I'll try to help out as much as I can. Hopefully in a month or so I'll be setting up a buddy's new room, building new buckets & mixing up my medium mixture so I can do a DIY with pics.

Just FYI but here's my parameters: keep things as cheap as possible but going cheap doesn't need to mean doing things half-assed -just don't see the need to pay for so-called cannabis nutes from the overpriced hydro-shops; keep the day-to-day maintenance simple (initial setup is going to be a bit of a pain but nothing like DoubleD's MPBs!); still have a great yield (hempy buckets can yield huge! maybe not MPB huge, but then again I've never vegged in hempy's for as long as MPBs need to be vegged); and have the great taste of the best soil grown.

Problem with straight regular hempy buckets: lack of taste I'm guessing due to lack of all the different micro & secondary nutrients & possibly the synergy of mycorrhizal, bacteria & fungi. Hence my quest to reach that Golden Bud!

Whew! Wasn't expecting to type to much on it right now! Not even sure if it all makes sense to a reader! Been enjoying some C99 and it always gets me going off on tangents!

Thanks for sharing all those detail. Looking forward to seeing pics and stats on the results.

Those links to grow-more are excellent. Those links will save some coin. Really appreciate you sharing. If you can find the link, please do share.

Forgot to mention I'm also considering adding in some molasses or sucanat every once in a while too to keep the mycorrhizal & bacteria happy - not too much as you want them paying attention to your roots and not just gouging themselves on molasses/sucanat.

less is more there imho.

So before I start getting pm's asking why not just top-water and not have to mess with constructing buckets with feeding tubes.
In a nutshell (well hopefully in a nutshell...): every living thing including plants take a shit (expel waste). Outside in the ground, a plant's "shit" is flushed away from the plant by rain. In a container, it goes to the bottom. Would you like to be standing in a pile of your own excrement? I think not. So that's why I wanted to find a way to feed my ladies without disturbing their waste. Wicking solves that. I do the monthly topwatering with CrystalClear to help get rid of the plant's "shit".

Make sense, like how you broke it into easy to understand simple terms.

If I did not see the ppk (passive plant killer) thread and studies/results to back it up. I might not be as open minded to it.
The is only from my experience of using ebb and flow (coco and rockwool) and then going to top drip to waste and getting far superior results.

Therefore going off the thinking of top drip is getting rid of that waste constantly.
I am open minded and can see there are many different ways to grow and get excellent results.

Leadsled - I apologize for completely steamrolling over your thread. Hopefully though you and others will find the info helpful for now (and control the pm's too)

Please not needed. Your posts are appreciated, helpful, and really help to get all the facts out there. Hopefully will save some people money. (I know it will save me some as start)

I do not think one particular way is "right". I do feel it is important to know all the facts so an educated decision can be made.

I do not the experience with this system to back it up. Experience with a "container style" grow and also with bottom feeding/wicking.

IMho, I am not ready to give all the proper advice until I have the experience. I will post up here once the results are in. Whether is is success or failure I am happy to share. If it helps someone to learn something, then was worth it to me.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

p.s.
Sorry for taking so long to respond. While searching I found the ppk aka passive plant killer thread and old hempy thread. Then I remembered where I had seen some of this this before.

Here is the journal if you want to follow along.

W

WAkuntry

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/dirty-little-box.49990/

This dude right here kinda nailed what yall are talking about. He kicked this idea around for at least 5-6 years till well...he ran straight organics used old plastic bags as liner and under bed storage bins..pulled a lb plus i beleive with just 8t5's in a 2x4.....fucking epic shit....certainly worth a look....hes the guy dirty white bud is named after.....very very cool kid. Will be missed.

W

WAkuntry

"Problem with straight regular hempy buckets: lack of taste I'm guessing due to lack of all the different micro & secondary nutrients & possibly the synergy of mycorrhizal, bacteria & fungi. Hence my quest to reach that Golden Bud!"

Not true in the least....a rather long list of problems within this statement.

When done correctly you only need too pull the mass of the root ball out and place your new rooted clone in the same hole top off with a little fresh forest humus and continue your feedings. There is no real need for boosters inflower when fed a cconsistent base regimen..the plants dont need us too control what they break Down and use for fuel...they just need us too keep the soil healthy and happy the lights on the right cycle and our vibes sky high...after that its sit back and enjoy...

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/dirty-little-box.49990/

This dude right here kinda nailed what yall are talking about. He kicked this idea around for at least 5-6 years till well...he ran straight organics used old plastic bags as liner and under bed storage bins..pulled a lb plus i beleive with just 8t5's in a 2x4.....fucking epic shit....certainly worth a look....hes the guy dirty white bud is named after.....very very cool kid. Will be missed.
just read through he crushed.

Top Bottom