DIY Fan Muffler

• Thread starter TrichromeFan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

OK guys,
I wanted to get a muffler to quiet my Vortex 6" fan down, and the local hydro shop had some unit for over $120, and it was stuffed with fiberglass! I sure as shit don't want to be breathing that being blown around by a fan, not to even mention for a scrubber application. So, I decided to make my own. Here goes...

Parts:

1 4' Concrete form cardboard tube
1 4' long roll of mesh screen called "harware cloth"
Some wood for making rings. I used 3/4 MDF
2 32 oz bags of polyester fiber fill

Misc:

zip ties
foil tape
silicone sealant
staples

Tools:
jigsaw (table saw and router would be a bonus)
stapler
hammer
cutter for zip ties
silicone gun
drill w/ drill bits

OK,

1:
Make some wood rings that fit inside my tube. I went with a 10" round tube (They make 8" & 12" tube sizes as well). I made 2 round pieces that fit the inside of the cardboard tubes. I made them just slightly loose, so I can slide them in and out easily. Then I made a hole in the center that would fit my duct size. In this case 6" around. I used a router, but you can just drill a pilot hole and use a jigsaw.
Diy fan muffler

2:
Cut about 3" off the end of the cardboard tube. I used a table saw, but a jigsaw would work fine. That way, the end of the 4' screen will stick out enough for me to make a flange to attach my ducting to.
Diy fan muffler 15

Diy fan muffler 2

3:
Cut the screen lengthwise. Mine was about 20" wide. I rolled it into a tube, and placed it into the rings that I made.
Diy fan muffler 3

Diy fan muffler 6

4:
Stapled the screen inside the end ring on that is not a flange. I tried to get the staples all the way around, almost touching. Tap gently with the hammer if they need to go in further, or to smooth out the screen. Then I slid it into the tube to align the top ring, so it could be stapled as well.
Diy fan muffler 4

Diy fan muffler 14

5:
Zip tied the flaps together about every 6" or so. That way it keeps a nice round shape. One at the end of the flange for good measure.
Diy fan muffler 5

6:
Slide the screen into the tube a little, and slowly started stuffing in poly fill around the outside of the screen tube. Pay attention that it is pretty firmly packed, and that it is evenly packed around all sides. If not, it will want to shift to one side. Work your way down till you get the whole thing in. Then push the other end out, and back fill till it is stuffed well. I had to use a little spatula to get the last bits to go in cleanly. Total poly fill used was only 1.5 bags.
Diy fan muffler 7

Diy fan muffler 8

7:
Staple the tubes around the outside, into the wood rings.
Diy fan muffler 9

Diy fan muffler 10

8:
Use the foil tape to wrap the end of the screen that sticks out, to make a flange. Run a small bead of silicone around where the wood meets the flange, and on the outside edges.
Diy fan muffler 11

Diy fan muffler 12

Done! Ready to quiet down some noisy fans!
Diy fan muffler 13

You could make just about any size with this stuff as well.

Coming part 2:
a little spiffy finish work, and installation...

-TF:evilgrin0013:

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Nice. For a really easy fill instead of using Polli filling you can use Egg crate bed foam. That is what the Phat Philters use for there Mufflers.

G

gudkarma

similar plan for a smaller filter (and smaller grow set up) using a 5 gallon bucket.

your idea is great because it can be scaled up or down, it is easy peasy to do, and it is quite a creative solution with everyday stuff.

props & good lookin' out.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Nice. For a really easy fill instead of using Polli filling you can use Egg crate bed foam. That is what the Phat Philters use for there Mufflers.

Good one Smokey. I saw the foam at the fabric shop. I couldn't resist the bags of poly were only $5 ea. I will have to do a sound test between the egg crate foam and poly fill on one of the next ones I build.

similar plan for a smaller filter (and smaller grow set up) using a 5 gallon bucket.

your idea is great because it can be scaled up or down, it is easy peasy to do, and it is quite a creative solution with everyday stuff.

props & good lookin' out.

Thanks gudkarma. The bucket sounds like it would work as well. I really like the concrete form tube. Easy to work with, comes in different diameters, and you can cut it to length, to fit your particular room, tent, etc... I built 2 so far, and I am going to build one more for a 6" duct, and one for an 8" (12" concrete tube), coming up.

-TF

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Well,
This muffler will be inside my veg room, so I wanted to give it a clean look. It will be used on the intake side of this fan, and yes it makes a big difference on the intake side noise as well. It went from small plane sound to an air conditioner sound. OK, here is what I did...

1:
Taped the ends with a little aluminum tape.
IMG 1582

2:
I used some spare reflectix from homey d's (I'm addicted to that stuff more than the OG), that was big enough to go around the tube.
IMG 1583

3:
Some 3m high strength 90 spray will hold it on well. The trick is to spray an even coat (not too heavy) on the tube and the back side of the reflectix. Wait a minute or two for it to tack up (feels slightly dry at this point), and carefully wrap straight around the outside. Cut the overlap with a razor blade.
IMG 1584

4:
Finish it off with a little more aluminum tape for the seam, and some on each end just for good measure.
IMG 1588

IMG 1589

Done dada! :rauch08:

Hang it up. I used some plumbing strap for mine.
IMG 1591

Connected the duct to my fan intake, and I can now hear myself think in the room. Much better!
IMG 1593

I almost forgot to mention. The cost on the whole muffler is pretty cheap as well. For 2 mufflers without dress up cost, it was under $60. That breaks down to about $30 ea, for a 4' mega muffler! Dress up costs less than another $10 spot. Custom, baby!

Thanks guys. Thought I would give back a little to all the great peeps on the farm. Enjoy!

-TF:evilgrin0013:

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Good job on setup. The room looks nice and clean.

With the Bed Foam I have seen them made without the mesh liner inside to hold it in place.

I know bed foam works great for sound insulation. We used it in a sound studio and it worked great. Maybe it will do the same for the muffler.

djstiks

djstiks

awesome DIY. was going to go out and buy some, but i'm going to give this a try. good shit my man.

sedate

sedate

TF said:
I wanted to get a muffler to quiet my Vortex 6" fan down, and the local hydro shop had some unit for over $120, and it was stuffed with fiberglass! I sure as shit don't want to be breathing that being blown around by a fan, not to even mention for a scrubber application. So, I decided to make my own.

Wow.

Continuing your fine tradition of clean work there TF, but may I suggest a far easier mod with results similar too your "It went from small plane sound to an air conditioner sound" for far less space and fabrication time?

Prolly less cash too.

I'd love to see these two mods in concert. Fucker be totally silent.

Since you like clean - try Damplifier Pro. Those Dynamat logos are effin ugly.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibration-mat/damplifier-pro.php

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Sedate, I also have some of my centrifugals wrapped in dynamat xtreme. I live for the stuff! I know second skin. Pretty good stuff as well, but I already got the xtreme by the case. The muffler does a great job on the air noise, where the dampening sheets will help kill the motor noise. Obviously a killer combo!

winta

winta

nice tutorial my dude! that muffler looks bad ass! do u know how many db it lowers the noise? this was a great idea :)

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Winta,
funny you mention that. I need to build a couple more mufflers, and I was planning on doing some comparisons in db reduction. Probably in the next month I can get to that one. Check back for updates.

-TF

winta

winta

great sounds good bro! make me one too :)

Winta,
funny you mention that. I need to build a couple more mufflers, and I was planning on doing some comparisons in db reduction. Probably in the next month I can get to that one. Check back for updates.

-TF

Z

zoeronerer

nice install man i love the silver shite 2

if you run at least 10' of insulated ducting before and after the fan is a huge help as well .. you can build an enclosure around the elicent (they can take getting hot better thean the rest ) ... a friend who does range hood installs for resturant and high end home kitchens showed me .... and remember any bend you have in your ducting cuts down airflow in a huge way . (sometimes needed for light leaks an u said it was in the veg room ) have a killer day

keep it quiet keep it safe
:character0180:

Papa

Papa

Supporter
u got da diy skilz, TF!

mighty impressive.

beautiful tutorial.

thank you.

Papa

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

Thanks you TF I love your post always the cleanest work from you, and you solved what has been keeping me up for the past two nights.

Damn Airplanes!!!!

Papa

Papa

Supporter
Winta,

-TF

hey TF! any new news on this?

Top Bottom