DIY filter

• Thread starter budboy299
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
budboy299

budboy299

so I got to thinking...I need a filter but I am not fond of the round tube ones as they can be a pain in the ass to refill. Plus they are pricey...plus I hate buying stuff that can be made easily.

I decided to go rectangular. Wood is pretty darn easy to work with too and also inexpensive.

I ripped up some plywood that I had from another project into the pcs in this pic. I also had some heavy metal screen. Window screen would be just a easy but would need to be reinforced with some wires across.

Here are the pcs cut out......

Oh and I made the box 2 feet long by 18". This would give me basically the same volume of flow through as a 7-8" tube filter

Diy filter
budboy299

budboy299

The one side of the box is higher than the other as I am wall mounting this for ease of refilling/toying with.

Sides are assembled like so....

budboy299

budboy299

I slipped the screen into the bottom....and reinforced it with some screws to prevent sagging

budboy299

budboy299

last but not least....the basic box is almost done!
cutting out for the inflow tube is next after I grab some munchies

F

Finalopagus

rockin the DIY.
Your building a carbon filter?
Were you get your carbon?

budboy299

budboy299

On Ebay Finalopagus. 40.00 plus shipping but it is 27 lbs of carbon so it should last a while. Its a 5 gallon pail filled to the brim.

budboy299

budboy299

I put in the inflow tubing....

this was 7" tube so that I had no restrictions between my fan and filter.

budboy299

budboy299

oh and the last pic...I cut the tube so that the air blows upward before heading down through the carbon. That way the pressure equalizes somewhat and it flows through the carbon evenly.

budboy299

budboy299

the box is mounted to the wall at waist height so I don't have to bend to maintain this.

I then placed fine mesh material in the bottom to hold in the carbon...then filled an even layer of carbon across the bottom. I put a 1" thick layer all the way across, making sure there was no gaps anywhere.

budboy299

budboy299

Top gets siliconed or weatherstripped on...and away we go.

pretty easy carbon filter. The added bonus is that when the carbon is getting old, you can pop the top off, vaccuum out the old and refill easily.

Now all I have to do it hook up the ducting, but sadly I am outta time for now.

Hopefully everyone gets the idea. You could even do something similar with a couple plastic containers nested inside one another.

F

Finalopagus

naw thats for yo homies....
How much of that 5gal bucket to cover 1 inch?

S

Silica

Nice i will build something like this.
If you wanted to dehumidify before removing odour, you could add some silca to the bottom layer.
If you cant find good activated carbon anywhere silica based kitty litter is actually not bad at removing smells. Just use more.

budboy299

budboy299

Great idea Silica!
nice thing about this filter too is how easy it is to open it up and add another layer of stuff if needed (like the silica kitty litter) thanks man

P

punkadc

good stuff i like your handiwork budboy, way to diy

also good thinking with the silica, silica..lol

L

Litemup

Great idea BudBoy!
I, too like to build my own rather than part with precious cash these days.
Keep the ideas comming, Please.

Latest posts

Top Bottom