Diy Jiffy Aerated Seed Starter

• Thread starter LVSkunkWorx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LVSkunkWorx

LVSkunkWorx

Hi gang. First post but as a big believer in DIY I am willing to try anything once. Up until recently I had terrible luck with seed germination, partly because of not keeping my germination area uniformly moist (w/o being too moist) and partly because my disability can make my hands shake and transferring germinated seeds rarely ends well for the root tips. So when a buddy sent me some Uranium 420 seeds he made, I knew I had to come up with a more foolproof method...and this is it. So far (only done a few tests), 100%, fast germination. Cheap too, made it with stuff I had laying around for other grow projects. Without further ado, my seed starter.

Stuff you need:
Z01 seedstarterstuff 600

Items:
1. cheap air pump, hose and airstone
2. Jiffy seed and clone starter (like < 10 bones at KMart)
3. 4 Rapid Rooter plugs
4. About a square foot of capillary mat

1. Take apart the Jiffy starter kit; discard or save the plugs for some future experiment.
2. Poke a hole in the side of the starter bottom about an inch from the lip, 1/4 inch hold for the airhose.
3. Insert airhose, connect airstone, position on bottom between riser pegs:
Z02 addingair 600

4. Add the bottom riser tray...
Z03 risertray 600

5. Soak the capillary mat in pH balanced water, then hang over side with one end in the bottom of the tray:
Z04 capillarymat 600

6. Lay the rest of the mat over the riser tray, then add the upper plastic tray (has holes for the old Jiffy plugs we are not using). Almost ready...
Z05 seedtray 600

lvsw

Continued...

Last edited:
LVSkunkWorx

LVSkunkWorx

Aerated seed starter, pt 2.
Prep the plugs and seeds:
1. Cut the Rapid Rooter plugs in half, then cut each half part-way through to make a sort of taco-shell shaped seed bed:
Z07 tacoshell 600

2. Hydrate the plugs in pH balanced water:
Z08 hydrate 600

3. Fill the bottom reservoir with pH balanced water with a cap full of B-1:
Z09 waterandcapb1 600

4. Add one seed per seed bed. I am using Uranium 420 from Great Lakes Medical Seeds:
Z11 uranium420 600

One seed per...
Z10 1seedper 600

5. Arrange the seed beds in the central 8 positions:
Z12 allseedsloaded 600

Finally, just put the top on, turn on the pump and leave it in veg:
Z14 inveg 600

In 2 days, all 8 had germinated nicely and by simply transplanting the plug to the destination medium avoids handling the root or exposure to light. You will find the capillary mat keeps everything moistened evenly and just enough. The moisture wicks nicely up thru the Rapid Rooter seed beds.

This is what works well for me; as the gas commercials used to say, "Your mileage may vary."

lvsw

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

Fantastic idea. My brain is ticking now about somehow using this idea to make a cloner.

LVSkunkWorx

LVSkunkWorx

@kbellfoy: Here is a clone rooter idea I had that worked similar only this used a cheap set of test tubes, a small tub, airpump and airstone...could root up to 24 clones at a time although 16 was plenty....
My lil cloner lb

I like trying things a lot of different ways to learn stuff...
Completeclonestationv20 lb

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

Your mind works perfectly then....really talented. Iv got everything for the cloner except test tubes. Ebay here I come. Thank you so much for sharing this :D

LVSkunkWorx

LVSkunkWorx

Hey don't think all of my ideas are good....behold the Nutrient-enriched Fog-based clone rooter:
20151120 192221 600

20151120 192612 600

20151120 192924 600

20151120 193134 600

Oops. Well you get the idea. Complete idiocy but I had to find out. After 2 weeks it was still working but cutting stagnated. About three days later it met with a violent end when I needed the floorspace for this seed idea I had....

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

Hey don't think all of my ideas are good....behold the Nutrient-enriched Fog-based clone rooter:
View attachment 553658
View attachment 553659
View attachment 553660
View attachment 553662

Oops. Well you get the idea. Complete idiocy but I had to find out. After 2 weeks it was still working but cutting stagnated. About three days later it met with a violent end when I needed the floorspace for this seed idea I had....

Ye but if you don't try u never know....If it had of worked you'd of been saving a lot of money. I'm looking round for a plastic box for my cloner

LVSkunkWorx

LVSkunkWorx

I am making a slim profile 2-seat aeroponic cloner/sex tester...idea is to be able to put cuttings into this for rooting (yeah I know, so what) but if need be, I can use this unit to test cuttings for sex by adding a simple enclosure, probably with a low-power LED light and timer. Using a plastic ice cream tub for the container.

That begs the question: how many of us DIYers base your grocery list on what kinds of containers you need?

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

I know I now buy bigger tubs when out shopping for storing bud lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom