DIY LED with COBs - small medium and large grows

• Thread starter SupraSPL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
doobiebro1

doobiebro1

3000K COBs will get you amazing nugs, better than HPS. But if you a nut like me and you really want to tweak the spectrum you can add some deep red and royal blue. I recommend Luxeon ES deep red EX6 bin and Luxeon ES royal blue M4R bin available from Steves LEDs

View attachment 415610
I can vouch for you on that Supra, MH from RUI.

Dunge

Dunge

I took a look at Steves LEDs and was wondering if any of the configurations are good for growing.
Looks like a promising source of parts, but I need more help.
Spectrum and lenses are what comes to mind, but there could be any number of differences between my tent and a fish tank.
I'm easily confused by LEDs.

doobiebro1

doobiebro1

The packages at stevesleds are for fish tanks, not for growing. I am using CREE COB's and am going to add a little Epistar far red 730-740nm. Like Supra was saying the blue and red LED's from steves is all you may want just to supplement. They don't carry all you need for growing well.

doobiebro1

doobiebro1

What can u guys recommend for a 4x6 area to cover 100 plants in a sea of green?
If you use CREE CXA 3070's, you would want about 25w a sf. I run mine @ 1400mA and get 52w a cob. You would need 12 of them to cover that area nicely. A sea of green could run at lower power like maybe 800mA, that would give you 16w a sf. There are some pre made ones that I would recommend like Area 51, Apache Tech and Hans Panels. You could also check California Light Works. I have a Hans and a CLW 200Bloom buster for spares.

W

weedBUZZ

Amaaazziiinnngggggg!!!! What can u recommend for 5-6 plants in a 150x150x200 tent ? The Z4 bin it's not available , just if u want 55pcs or more,so i need to use CXA3070 3000K bin Z 2 , 80 CRI for veg and for flower i was thinking at CXA3070 5000K bin Z230F 70CRI , but i don't know how many for veg and flower.thanks

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
Alright @SupraSPL For my clone lights I've ordered 4 each of the cree xp-l (v5-2a bin), 4 1 Watt 300mA drivers from fasttech you recommended, and the 4 35*35*10 mm aluminum heatsinks from fasttech as well. Since they have screws, can I mount them directly, or should I use thermal compound, or preferably could I use precut thermal adhesive tape like bond-ply from bergquist company? Here's a link to some thermal adhesive precuts that are 20mm, the size of the led stars.http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004569/1350301-20mm-20mm-3m-insulation-thermal-adhesive-tape-20
I'm gonna wire each to separate drivers so I can move them around if needed, but the drivers will all share the same power cable source.
I'm about to order a cree cxa3070 3oook, digikey has it listed as CXA3070-0000-000N00Z230F-ND. I'm unsure how to discern bin numbers, does that listing number tell us anything. Planning on mounting it on the 5.88" x6" long heatsink. I've never seen a cob this big, is it mounted on a star or do you just sand the heatsink flat and mount it directly with adhesive. Basically, is there any prep to mount these large cobs? Also, this cob is gonna fill in some dark spots to supplement a 1k hps lamp, so would you recommend running a softer mA like between 700-900? I guess I'd like to run it about 30 Watts since that will match the heatsink size. Lastly, are there any good links to video tutorials putting these together?
Thank you for your help:)

Last edited:
W

weedBUZZ

Are those mm or cm or what?
right cm

i've tried too look after CXA3070 COBS these days and figure it out with my grow room.i'll go with 12 CREE CXa3070 3000K,bin Z2,70 CRI and 3 CREE CXA3070 5000k,bin Z4,80 CRI in a 150cm(width) x 150cm(lenght) x 180cm(height)..and i'll try to cover 15 ladies , i think it should be ok ... ??

doobiebro1

doobiebro1

Alright @SupraSPL For my clone lights I've ordered 4 each of the cree xp-l (v5-2a bin), 4 1 Watt 300mA drivers from fasttech you recommended, and the 4 35*35*10 mm aluminum heatsinks from fasttech as well. Since they have screws, can I mount them directly, or should I use thermal compound, or preferably could I use precut thermal adhesive tape like bond-ply from bergquist company? Here's a link to some thermal adhesive precuts that are 20mm, the size of the led stars.http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10004569/1350301-20mm-20mm-3m-insulation-thermal-adhesive-tape-20
I'm gonna wire each to separate drivers so I can move them around if needed, but the drivers will all share the same power cable source.
I'm about to order a cree cxa3070 3oook, digikey has it listed as CXA3070-0000-000N00Z230F-ND. I'm unsure how to discern bin numbers, does that listing number tell us anything. Planning on mounting it on the 5.88" x6" long heatsink. I've never seen a cob this big, is it mounted on a star or do you just sand the heatsink flat and mount it directly with adhesive. Basically, is there any prep to mount these large cobs? Also, this cob is gonna fill in some dark spots to supplement a 1k hps lamp, so would you recommend running a softer mA like between 700-900? I guess I'd like to run it about 30 Watts since that will match the heatsink size. Lastly, are there any good links to video tutorials putting these together?
Thank you for your help:)
You can use these on CXA's like alot of people do, you have to drill and tap your heat sink. Sand your heat sink FLAT and smooth, at least 1000 grit. You can also use adhesive and tape for them also which is what Supra does, I use the holder and paste, they can be easily removed this way if necessary. They should be right bin # Z2's. Good luck

doobiebro1

doobiebro1

right cm

i've tried too look after CXA3070 COBS these days and figure it out with my grow room.i'll go with 12 CREE CXa3070 3000K,bin Z2,70 CRI and 3 CREE CXA3070 5000k,bin Z4,80 CRI in a 150cm(width) x 150cm(lenght) x 180cm(height)..and i'll try to cover 15 ladies , i think it should be ok ... ??
That should be good coverage @ 800mA it's over 30w a sq. foot.

W

weedBUZZ

That should be good coverage @ 800mA it's over 30w a sq. foot.

sorry for delay.i was so busy....CHANGING PLANS

i found a user on RIU who's got AB bins so thats great.the bad thing is that i don't know how to check them,if there really are AB bins or not,i think i will see this,i can't check it.i was thinking at 1400mA(LPC 60 1400) because i'll win 126watts with 15 COB's efficiency..i know that's only 85 % efficiency but the LPC 60 1050 has with 2% more than the 1400,so i ll go with more watts for 1st time,is that ok ? im also thinking to make the gow a bit bigger,for 20 girls ..you said to Obsolete that he needs 12 COBs to cover 100 plants..am i wrong with the number of plants that i want to use or..whats wrong ? i'm LOST

Last edited:
tags420

tags420

They are probably AB's if from one of the normals at RIU.
Run [email protected] 4 meanwell hlg185h-c1400...3 chips per driver. Arctic 11 plus coolers, 12v fan supply. Get a 25k ohm pot, and be able to dim the unit. Chips would be at 43% min up to 50%+(based on current), and divers at about 91-93%.

oregonized

oregonized

Has any one considered Alibaba.com?
I found the 3070 cobs for $25.50 each with a minimum purchase of 2. They have the AB bins( highest quality/greatest efficiency) if I understand the bin ranking properly from my reefkeeping....

Is the seller kingbrite? AB is the highest bin for 3oook....

I bought my CXA 3k AB's from Ali, they tested fine and maybe even a little above spec in lumen output [3-4%].....I have seen that deal and its a good one....

I paid $40 for mine, when AB's were still going for $65....

tags420

tags420

The cxB's are out. And are available in AD bin for 3k. A bin higher than the cxA was ever available.~36$ from kingbrite.
The B's are the same exact physically as A's. Slightly lower Vf and have a boost in efficiency, plus the extra bin. The lower Vf allows you to run more on certain drivers than before with the A's too.

300ydbomber

300ydbomber

First time posting on here. Have to say, excellent posts on these cob set ups. Love the d.i.y.ers. question for anyone to answer. I'm looking at this driver to power either Cree cxb3590's or cxb3070's and was wondering how many of each could I run off from a single driver like this in series? I'm very new at this and want to do it right the first time. I'm just not sure how to match drivers to cob's. My understanding is as an example, a cree cxb3590 can max out at 145w @ 3.36A 36 volts, so I would use a single 150w 3.6A 36v driver for max wattage out and as close to the 180000 max lumens as possible, right? Then how could I run 2 or 3 cxb3590 or even 6 3070's off this 1 driver run in series, if so, how and what would I need as far as heat sink, fan and any type of resister? Please help ASAP as I really need to get going on ordering parts. Thanks so much for any responses. Keep building the leds......

Latest posts

Top Bottom