Do bigger plants produce more potent buds???

• Thread starter chief greenleaf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thereallenny

Thereallenny

This is what confuses me. I have two, second generation blueberry plants (and I have a third generation waiting in the wings) and they are small. One, the older one, by about two weeks, is about 16 inches tall, the other, about 14 inches tall. They have been flowering now for about 6 weeks. I pulled all the fan leaves off, and that made a lot of side shoots where buds are growing. What confuses me is if this is ok to do or not. I've had some problems with some of the side shoots dying, and there is a lot of space in between. But the top buds are growing SLOWLY growing, but some of the leaves turn brown and die, and it seems that it is taking a long time for them to fill in. I know I have six more weeks and this isn't the right forum, but can anyone tell me if this is right or not. I check the ph regularly and it is around 6 to 6.5. I am using HAPPY FROG soil, which has the good fungus in it, and 40 percent vermiculite mix. I am using Ph Perfect, a three part nutrient solution which worked well the last time I used it. Is it also better to do have one big bud, or many smaller buds? Does it make a difference?? thanks for the HELP!
I prefer to top all my plants because it's a better yield. But some strains that are lower yielding I will not top. And I can say it always seems when I find a good pheno it's never the biggest yielding . I don't think bigger or smaller buds effects potency.

Vinnya

Vinnya

PLANT 1 3
PLANT 1 4
PLANT 1 6
PLANT 1 7
PLANT 1 8
PLANT 1
PLANT 2 2
PLANT 2 3
PLANT 2 4
PLANT 2
That's fine but that is not what I asked. I asked if will effect QUANTITY. I just had to lollipop my plants and take most of the bottom branches off. It seems pretty pathetic looking considering this is the beginning of the sixth week. Here are pictures of my two girls. The first one is about two weeks older than the second. They are both SECOND GENERATION plants from cuttings. Notice how the smaller one has denser buds on top then the older one. You can see also that there is browning on some of the hairs and on some of the ends of the leaves. Does anyone know what causes this? They seem to be growing, but this really is an annoyance. I have to pick up some of the dead leaves that eventually turn brown. I check the ph regularly and it is a little on the alkaline side (around 7). Would that effect the leaves? I am using Happy Frog soil on the top half and regular soil with fertilizer from shop-rite, which I started them in. I removed the top half of soil and added a 60/40 soil to vermiculite mix for better drainage. Also, when side shoots start to appear, they either die, turn brown at the edges or they become stunted. That is why I am asking if, I lollipop the bottom, will this help me to get more quantity. I was expecting three to four ounces, now it looks like I'll be LUCKY to get two ounces. Anyone have any suggestions? By the way, the first set of pics are the younger one, and the second the older. You an see by the close up the browning of some of the tops and leaves. They are about six weeks old and have about six weeks left. The first six pics are of the older plant, older by about two weeks. The last four are of the younger plant. It seems like the younger plant has denser buds on them and the older one has more buds, but right now they are struggling to catch up. Do you think I can get at least two ounces out this? And does anyone have an answer to why there is browning on the edge of the leaves and the hairs?

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
answer is NO potency is NOT related to plant size

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
This doesn't answer my question.
Sorry had to go back and reread your post. I have found yield can differ from pheno to pheno of the same strain.

To answer your question thats hard as you would have to play with the same strain using same cuts to do a side by side and let one go main cola dominant and strain and top another to see what your yields worked out to.

Not all strains/phenos respond well to topping. Some prefer to be left alone with one main cola. I hope that helped some.

Vinnya

Vinnya

U shud throw those plants in the garbage. Does that answer ur question haha

Why? They look relatively healthy. I should get at least two ounces, maybe more from both plants. Even that would make the investment of about $150 worth it.

G gnome

G gnome

You're an idiot. How about that?
Easy there....dont let the dog off the leash haha

I was being serious tho.....the amount of return ur gonna get for the amount of resources ur gonna use to finish those wont be worth it......better off starting fresh

Vinnya

Vinnya

Sorry, I thought I erased that comment. So your saying that getting two ounces of buds, worth approx. $1000 where I live, isn't worth the $150 investment? Why is that? Did you look at the photos of my two plants?

Saugastrongbud

Saugastrongbud

I think small are def better. I grew 3 large lollipoped scrogged OG KUSH late in veg a large branch broke, I rooted the branch and flowered it out using same room/ nutes as large. The trics, taste,, smell, density, look and strength was far superior to the large plants!! I assume all that energy from light/ nutes is easily used by a smaller plant hence creating a much stronger bud!! Also far less likely to get infected with Powder mildew/ mites etc. It was like a completely different strain it blew my mind I always thought bigger was better, guess I know why large scale pros are all using SOG BETTER RESULTS SHORTER TIMEFRAME

Top Bottom