DO-IT-YOURSELF C02 GENERATOR* (for your closet operation)

• Thread starter afatsoweezer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

afatsoweezer

Found this thru : under zip file: Closet_Growing_-_The_Easy_Way ...

DO-IT-YOURSELF C02 GENERATOR (for your closet operation)

Every green leafed plant uses carbon dioxide in its daily life. 0.5% of our air is carbon dioxide. Plants are able to utilize up to 5 times the natural amount and can grow 5 times faster - provided that sufficient light, nutrients, and water are available to support the extra growth.

Generally speaking, a plant will grow faster with added carbon dioxide in its environment.

Yeast is a living, eating, breathing and reproducing organism. They consume sugar and water and excrete carbon dioxide and alcohol. Yeast is used in the production of alcohol.

Buy some brewers yeast at a make-your-own-beer/wine store. You will have to get a large jug with a small mouth, a rubber cork with a hole in it that will fit in the mouth of the jug, and six to ten feet (your decision) of flexible tubing in which the carbon dioxide will travel. All of these can be found at the one store.

You are basically reviving the dry yeast in the package so that they will eat the sugar you give it and produce carbon dioxide meanwhile. Ask the person at the store that you want to produce carbon dioxide for some house plants. They will give you what you need.

1. Fill the large jug with slightly warm water. Not hot, not even warm, just a bit warmer than lukewarm. The warmth wakes up the yeast.

2. Now add sugar to the water. One part sugar to every five parts of solution.

3. Empty the packet of yeast in the jug and stir.

4. After a few hours the yeast should be active and producing carbon dioxide. The production of carbon dioxide can be observed by actual bubbles floating to the surface.

5.The only thing you have to do now is maintain the life of your yeast population. Dump out some of the solution and add fresh water so that is does not become stagnant. Add a few teaspoons of* sugar. Do this every week or two.

6.Theoretically, your yeast population can last for an eternity!

Desertboy

Desertboy

Unfortunately brewing doesn't produce enough CO2 quick enough unless you have a sealed environment and even then you would need to use turbo yeasts (Which ferment 6-7kilos of sugar in 48-72 hours) and many kilo's of sugar per day to get enough CO2 to be useful. It's a real nice idea but unless your an industrial brewer it's economically unfeasable to produce enough CO2 through fermentation and if you vent it'll never build up at all anyway.

I'm an on/off brewer as well as grower and have checked this out with a borrowed CO2 monitor unless I did something real wrong with 25litres of cider brewed to ~10% which is ~3 kilos of sugar couldn't produce CO2 faster than my plants ate it and PPM dropped from 280 to 120 in 3 1/2 hours by which time I turned the intake/extraction on and boom 290ppm. I never tried turbo yeast because the cost quickly would equal a proper CO2 injection/monitor setup probably within 2 grows.

A few teaspoons of sugar would be bugger all CO2.

P

Phaedros

Unfortunately brewing doesn't produce enough CO2 quick enough unless you have a sealed environment and even then you would need to use turbo yeasts (Which ferment 6-7kilos of sugar in 48-72 hours) and many kilo's of sugar per day to get enough CO2 to be useful. It's a real nice idea but unless your an industrial brewer it's economically unfeasable to produce enough CO2 through fermentation and if you vent it'll never build up at all anyway.

I'm an on/off brewer as well as grower and have checked this out with a borrowed CO2 monitor unless I did something real wrong with 25litres of cider brewed to ~10% which is ~3 kilos of sugar couldn't produce CO2 faster than my plants ate it and PPM dropped from 280 to 120 in 3 1/2 hours by which time I turned the intake/extraction on and boom 290ppm. I never tried turbo yeast because the cost quickly would equal a proper CO2 injection/monitor setup probably within 2 grows.

Yes.Although not ideal.This DOES work.I mean even though your saying that it couldnt keep up with the amount of CO2 your plants were using you have to admit that having it there was helping more than not having it there.

sog1313

sog1313

I've tried it and it does work somewhat (plants looked happier but i dont think it increased yield). This may be more suited for a small cabinet or PC grow, but i would say if you are serious about using CO2 in anything bigger invest in a small tank and a regulator. that way you will get noticeable results and you wont be buying $10 worth of sugar every week.

Top Bottom