Does A Strong Terpentine Smell Mean My Weed Is Bad?

• Thread starter sharprock
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sharprock

sharprock

Is this mold or not? Four days into drying. The tips of some of my larger colas have a really pungent odor like terpentine or vinegar and are damper than the rest of the buds. Most of the rest of my crop has little smell. Also, when I break these smelly bits apart there is more brown near the center of the bud but it doesn't look moldy to me. Should I throw them out?

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Botrytis has that terpentine like smell. What’s your humidity ? In the drying room?

sharprock

sharprock

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/bud-rot-smell-w-no-bud-rot.12686/ Always helps to search our forums , usually someone else has or had experienced this

I did. Doesn't look like any of the photos. The smell people describe is so varied. Mine smells like a mix of terpentine and vinegar. Maybe with a little bit of gym socks mixed in.

Botrytis has that terpentine like smell. What’s your humidity ? In the drying room?

Its been very humid weather here throughout the grow but I have a humidifier set at 50%. Sometimes it fills up though and the humidity goes to 70%+ for a few hours.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

If the herb is wet and brown in the middle and just falls apart you have rot.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Regarding the drying process...if the buds dry too slowly without enough ventilation, they can begin to "cure", much like green tobacco leaves are cured to make the gold brown tobacco everybody knows. The smell of ammonia is the main smell, as opposed to mold, which is totally different. If there isn't enough ventilation, it will taste like the old dirt weed from when everyone was a kid and you didn't know if it was oregano or buds. You still end up with smokable buds, but they don't have the great taste or appearance. Curing typically gets rid of the chlorophyll, leaving the remainders. Drying typically preserves everything.

sharprock

sharprock

If anything they dried too fast. They don't break apart, they are very sticky. You could also describe it as a grapefruit smell. Maybe this is normal, not sure.

I have put the affected buds in a different room for now in case it is mold.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
If anything they dried too fast. They don't break apart, they are very sticky. You could also describe it as a grapefruit smell. Maybe this is normal, not sure.

Is there any chance that they got a white fly infestation? I have been cursed by this once or twice and the end product was sort of funky looking and didn't seem to dry correctly...it would be dry but left a lot of black ash when smoked. I think it was sugar that collected from the insects feeding, which carbonized when smoked. It gave it a weird smell as well.

sharprock

sharprock

I didn't notice any white flies. I think I had a calcium deficiency at one point but I could be wrong. It could also have been rust fungus. Does rust fungus impart any strange odours?

sharprock

sharprock

Microscope Photos
Untitled 1
Untitled 2
Untitled 3
Untitled 4

sharprock

sharprock

Regular photos. The flash really brings out the trichomes. Doesn't look that intense in real life.

But it looks like normal bud to me other than the odour

20181016 163118
20181016 163322
Mr Bee

Mr Bee

man i only hear good things.terpentine smell,grapefruit smell,extremely sticky... I think your could b stressin over nuthin.just keep a close eye on em just in case.

sharprock

sharprock

I just find it odd that its only the tips of the main colas on one plant.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
The smell you describe is spot on for my dinachem. Gym socks, turpentine, grapefruit and cheese like smell. It even tastes like grapefruity turpentine cheese :) Perfectly good weed, sticky shite too and no rot whatsoever. It is interesting you have it only with one bud, wonder why..

Last edited:
Top Bottom