Does Nano Silicic Acid Affect Microbes?

• Thread starter jerkchicken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jerkchicken

I'm going to try do a grow in some organic soil instead of coco and will be using bottled nutes so maybe not strictly 100% organic but as close as I can realistically in my situation.

My question is, I know I can't use normal pH down as it will affect the microbes, bacteria and what not, but does silicic acid do the same or is that safe to use? I've heard I can use citric acid to adjust pH if really needed without affected them. However I've also heard not to bother adjusting the solution if it's not way out and only using organic.

Could any clarify this for me please, I hope I've explained it properly...

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Don’t bother with phing anything, would be my advice but if you want to, acetic acid (vinegar) or citric acid can do the job without hurting microbes. But again i wouldn’t bother.

J

jerkchicken

Cheers for the reply, I'll leave it out. What about the silicic acid? I sometimes use that for the stems and that make a sturdy frame, just use it thru veg, would you expect that to upset the living elements of the soil?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
https://iubmb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/bab.1191

I cannot see the full research because i don’t have an account but it seems nanosilica is a very useful tool to enrich the soil so you can do it imo. But usually keeping it simple is the best way to go, the more you add, the more problems arise.

I have no personal experience with silica supplements but from what i read the cycle here involves microbes. Microbes break down silicon into orthosilicic acid. So i don’t think it’ll hurt them in sensible doses as its a process happening already in the soil.

J

jerkchicken

Ok great, thanks. I'll have a good read of that but am glad to hear that as I do notice my stems are thicker and stronger when I use it. I do always use it sparingly also and stop while flowering, can't remember who told me that but someone did and I always stop now when I flip them or even a week before once the stem look thick. Thanks for your help man

Top Bottom