Does smell lose its potency during curing

Discussion in 'Basic Growing Information' started by GorillaCloset, Jul 12, 2010.

1. GorillaCloset

GorillaCloset New Farmer

I have love cheese and it's in its 25th day of flowering. My Casey Jones, Hogs Breath & Bubba Kush don't smell as nearly as dank as my love cheese. I'm just wondering if it loses its smell during curing (if I cure it correctly) or am I being paranoid? Any tips please help
  2. Devilsharvest

Devilsharvest Farmer

hey man . I love casey and cheese.. I think casey taste more fruity when its fresh but when its cured its nearly cheese like.. I think it has a short shelf life so smoke it fast and cheese will lose that smell as it cures but it gets super strong.. exodus cheese is something else.. a long cure on a haze is the best like a wine but indica strains don't need a long cure.. we cut and dry in 10 days and the coffee shops cure it for us..
  3. GorillaCloset

GorillaCloset New Farmer

thanks for the input. i'll take precautions when curing and smokin :evilgrin0013:
  4. Backward_Z

Backward_Z New Farmer

The smell should change as the bud cures but I don't think of it as losing smell so much as maturing odor.

Usually fresh bud smells, I dunno, grassy? There's this strong biting smell that diminishes throughout a cure and the deeper, earthier, danker odors come to the surface.

I've found in jars after six to nine months, buds will start to lose odor and after a year to a year and a half probably smell like hay.
  5. AbusiveOGK

AbusiveOGK Farmer

The cheese smells almost floral as it's growing and especially when harvesting. Over the time I was curing cheese, I found the floral smell had turned to more of a distinct cheese smell. More subtle, definitely, but I think as Backward Z said, its more of the odor maturing.
  6. kmk4eva

kmk4eva New Farmer

it all depends on how you dry a cure your bubs dj short has a great curing process and tex made it a thread go read that lot of good info